Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Impact of fuel prices on travel
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

 > Impact of fuel prices on travel

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev
Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

Senior Member

Joined: 11/24/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/01/22 05:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We all groan about the price of fuel & how much we burn. Be thankful that we are not feeding similar sized boats where you don't get very large before you start talking about how many gallons you burn up in just one mile.


Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 07/16/2003

View Profile



Posted: 04/02/22 08:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hammerboy wrote:

Thermoguy wrote:

Paid $162 to fill my tank in Western WA the other day... That hurts.



Ha! I got you beat, I filled up for $162.50 @ $4.89 a gallon the other day.

Dan


right now it is just shy of 300 bucks to fill my tank, diesel up here is 7.19/us gal where our normal price was 4.96 a couple months ago.

is it going to effect my plans.. not realy I may drive 55mph instead of 65mph but thats about it. hopefully it drops down again soon though.

Steve


2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Reisender

NA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/09/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/02/22 09:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

StirCrazy wrote:

Hammerboy wrote:

Thermoguy wrote:

Paid $162 to fill my tank in Western WA the other day... That hurts.



Ha! I got you beat, I filled up for $162.50 @ $4.89 a gallon the other day.

Dan


right now it is just shy of 300 bucks to fill my tank, diesel up here is 7.19/us gal where our normal price was 4.96 a couple months ago.

is it going to effect my plans.. not realy I may drive 55mph instead of 65mph but thats about it. hopefully it drops down again soon though.

Steve


Might be a conversion error there. 1.95 per litre Canadian is 5.91 USD per US gallon.

Here is a handy website.

https://usgas.ca/us

Likes to tow

Huntington WV

Senior Member

Joined: 01/13/2006

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 04/02/22 09:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great advice from this post.... "I may drive 55mph instead of 65mph but thats about it." Back in the '73 oil embargo when gas shot all the way up to $1.00 per gallon slower speeds were mandated by the government. The speed limit was 50 mph for several months. Our company which operated a fleet of Chevy station wagons noticed a significant decrease in the number of gallons used each month!! Everyone had to get used to driving slower and at first it seemed like it took forever to get anywhere but soon we all adapted. There were fewer traffic fatalities also in the nation. In today's world the vast majority of drivers insist on driving 10 mph over the posted limit. Interstates with a 75 limit will have most traffic at 85, some even more. You put yourself in danger if you travel much below the posted limit however. People are so impatient and rude on our nations highways. We could all help offset the additional expense of fuel by just driving slower!!!

I had a personal experience a few years ago with my F250 with the 7.5 (460) gas engine. This truck consistently got 10 mpg. One morning I had to make a run down the Interstate to a town 90 miles away. Just before getting on the highway I topped the gas tank and reset the trip odometer counter, (just a habit) and after getting on the Interstate I encountered heavy fog. I could only drive 40 or 45 mph safely for almost the entire 90 miles. After exiting the Interstate at my destination I noticed the fuel gauge had not moved much. My first thought was it had malfunctioned. Then I realized that my slow driving had probably contributed. Just out of curiosity I topped the tank again at the exit ramp and did a hand calculation. It was almost 15 MPG!!!! I was shocked. A few years later we were on the Outer Banks of North Carolina where the speed limit is 45. Even though I had my slide in truck camper on the truck my mpg was significantly better for those three days we cruised the area.

Slow down and save some money!!

* This post was edited 04/02/22 10:02am by Likes to tow *

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 07/16/2003

View Profile



Posted: 04/03/22 07:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

StirCrazy wrote:

Hammerboy wrote:

Thermoguy wrote:

Paid $162 to fill my tank in Western WA the other day... That hurts.



Ha! I got you beat, I filled up for $162.50 @ $4.89 a gallon the other day.

Dan


right now it is just shy of 300 bucks to fill my tank, diesel up here is 7.19/us gal where our normal price was 4.96 a couple months ago.

is it going to effect my plans.. not realy I may drive 55mph instead of 65mph but thats about it. hopefully it drops down again soon though.

Steve


Might be a conversion error there. 1.95 per litre Canadian is 5.91 USD per US gallon.

Here is a handy website.

https://usgas.ca/us


ya and no, I didn't convert it as I was not trying to show the price in US dollers, but rather how much it has changes up here, the price here is 7.19Cdn for a US gal and ya I sould change it to show Im talking about CDN bucks. I left it in CDN to keep the exchage ragte out of it as that changes so much.. I have seen the Cdn dollar vary from .68US to 1.03US over the years

* This post was edited 04/03/22 08:07am by StirCrazy *

Reisender

NA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/09/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/03/22 08:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

StirCrazy wrote:

Reisender wrote:

StirCrazy wrote:

Hammerboy wrote:

Thermoguy wrote:

Paid $162 to fill my tank in Western WA the other day... That hurts.



Ha! I got you beat, I filled up for $162.50 @ $4.89 a gallon the other day.

Dan


right now it is just shy of 300 bucks to fill my tank, diesel up here is 7.19/us gal where our normal price was 4.96 a couple months ago.

is it going to effect my plans.. not realy I may drive 55mph instead of 65mph but thats about it. hopefully it drops down again soon though.

Steve


Might be a conversion error there. 1.95 per litre Canadian is 5.91 USD per US gallon.

Here is a handy website.

https://usgas.ca/us
ya sorry forgot to convert the cdn to us bucks. but that fluxuates so much.. 15 years ago the CDN buck was higher than the US , then they floated with in a couple cents for years then they dropped off now it climbing back up again.... haha


Yah. Either way it’s ugly. They are having a little gas war here in Vernon. 1.70 litre here. We drive an electric SUV and sold our diesel pusher last year so haven’t bought gas in years and diesel since last year. But its definitely the go to topic of conversation here. Ugh. Makes it tough for some folks to make ends meet. Hope it gets better for them. Wonder if it will make the campgrounds emptier this year. We are hooking up the trailer tonight and headed out for a 4 day camping trip tomorrow. Guess we’ll find out. Although this time of year it’s not uncommon to see empty spots in the parks anyway.

Safe travels.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

 > Impact of fuel prices on travel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.