Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Canadian Snowbirds heading home-Antigen Rapid Tests required
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> Canadian Snowbirds heading home-Antigen Rapid Tests required

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Next
Canuck Travellers

123 street

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/22 05:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seeing that soon there will be a swell of Canadian Snowbirds heading home and seeing the protocol at the border is a requirement of a certified Rapid Test (Antigen) test not more than 24 hours prior to crossing has anyone crossed yet or know of anyone crossing?

Anyone have any more info on this like did they or do they know of anyone crossing, where did they get the test, costs, was it certified, was there any problem at the border showing the Border personnel the test and acceptance.

Really appreciate any info, thanks....

* This post was edited 03/12/22 12:56pm by Canuck Travellers *

2017 Chev Silverado LTZ,6.2 Engine,8 SPEED,4WD, Nav Option, Leather Package, almost all options.

Guthaways

Wherever we r parked

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/22 05:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We did this last week. The test has to be done the day before you cross the border, so we did it in Oregon at a shopping mall. Cost was $129 US each, and results were emailed to us within half an hour.
Easy peasy. FYI, the border patrol person did not ask to see the ArriveCan app at all. She just wanted to see the emailed results of our Covid test, and our passports. Far less involved than I had anticipated. Shortest border return ever.

Canuck Travellers

123 street

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/22 05:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow, that was fast, thanks for the very helpful information!

moisheh

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/10/22 07:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I sure hope they do away with that requirement. A lot of useless nonsense . If you are triple vaxxed why must one be tested? If you travel to Alberta areas where there are so many unvaccinated people do you need a test before returning to your home province? If you travel to Winkler, mb where maybe 50 % of the people are unvaxxed do you need a test before heading back to Winnipeg?

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/22 07:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

moisheh given how long the barn door has been open I see little point in the testing.

I would not skip the arivcan app. I have one phone that is older and will not run it. How brilliant of the designers.

And what about folks with no phone???

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

moisheh

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/10/22 07:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That test also discourages cross border shoppers. Both ways. Lots of Canadians have a mail box service in the USA. They retrieve parcels. Now you have to add the cost of a test. Crazy. I cold give a reason for that test but it would be political. American tourists will have to have a test for the whole family. Not only a PIA it is costly.

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/22 11:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moisheh wrote:

That test also discourages cross border shoppers. Both ways. Lots of Canadians have a mail box service in the USA. They retrieve parcels. Now you have to add the cost of a test. Crazy. I cold give a reason for that test but it would be political. American tourists will have to have a test for the whole family. Not only a PIA it is costly.

Our friends just crossed into Canada with RV yesterday. They got $$$ antigen tests 3 hours drive before crossing, and got their results in plenty of time.

We do this too, sometime later in March. Still enjoying Florida. 86F yesterday. A few thunderstorms today, 74F.

Asking for every Canadian citizen returning by road to get any Covid lab test is ludicrous. Considering virtually every living human being on Earth in 2022 already has either natural, or vaccine induced immunity, or BOTH already. Canada may be the last country on Earth presently requiring returning fully vaxed CITIZENS to undergo (potentially) expensive Covid tests just before arriving at customs in their private vehicle(s). Senseless. Unnecessary, and in post-Omicron times, an utter waste of resources; it is throwing money out the window. Money SHOULD instead be put into genomic testing (Canada is doing virtually ZERO genomic testing for variants). Look to Denmark for sane policy at this stage in the pandemic.

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/22 04:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Silversand,

There are lots of places with low vaccination rates. Africa comes to mind. IIRC it is about 7% vaccination rate.

OkieGene

oklahoma city

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/22 05:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^^^ There's no reason for it, it's just government policy ^^^

I kid, I kid.... or not. LOL

charlestonsouthern

Summerville, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/10/22 10:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have four Rapid Test Kits (two tests to a kit) left over from the Christmas holidays; can those be used instead, 24 hours before crossing the Canadian border?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> Canadian Snowbirds heading home-Antigen Rapid Tests required
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.