Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Setting up your house to run off your RV generator?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

> Setting up your house to run off your RV generator?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/22 10:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A 6ga 50A cord would be more than adequate.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/22 08:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gundog wrote:

The transfer switch I have is a manual type with slide levers. You have to turn off the breaker from the power company before closing the generator circuit. It is manual and won't let both switches be closed at the same time.

That is called a "generator interlock". IMHO, the best choice !

If you have a 50A cord/plug cheap n you MH, the generator probably has 240VAC split phase output just like your house.

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/22 09:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bgum wrote:

We just installed a Reliance Protran manual transfer switch. It is all of 6 circuits and only uses 120 volts. It is rated for up to 7000 watts. We use our Honda eu3000i to power the switch. We have two bedrooms, kitchen, heating system, and office/freezer running off the circuits. The particular items powered are Dish tv system, freezer, refrigerator, security system, heating system, lights, computer system, kitchen wall plugs. We also have two small window AC units we can install as needed. We don't run every thing a once. The transfer switch has two meters that indicate wattage being used. The generator has a 3 gallon tank and it lasts about 20-24 hours.

I have the same system nice thing is it is one of the few that is set up for 120V input to the panel rather than an expected 120/240 and mine has a input plug for a 30A 120V cable

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/22 11:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had the same six circuit switch. It worked well and I was surprized at how many things I could power on my Kipor 2800 generator.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/12/22 11:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

You were serious...
And yes, you picked up on the the OP has a transfer switch at the house. So far so good. He won't kill linemen trying to restore the power (but there are enough people back feeding their homes through a dryer plug or something, they assume hot all the time).
But OP has a 7kw genset, unknown if 120 or 240. Certainly not large enough to power the whole house at once and maybe not able to power 240V circuits. SO plenty to consider or change on the house end.

On the RV end, where is the "power" you plug your cord into going to come from? The little household outlet on the outside? The RV needs what I said earlier to work to it's fullest potential.

Bad advice is one thing. Might get wet, stranded, hit in the head if you unknowingly follow bad advice about most things, save for electrical. Following bad electrical advice will just zap or kill ya right there on the spot.
OP also is assumed to be an electrician because he is a lineman.
If he was a knowledgeable residential electrician, he wouldn't have these questions.
[emoticon]

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Gundog

Ridgefield, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/22 07:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

You were serious...
And yes, you picked up on the the OP has a transfer switch at the house. So far so good. He won't kill linemen trying to restore the power (but there are enough people back feeding their homes through a dryer plug or something, they assume hot all the time).
But OP has a 7kw genset, unknown if 120 or 240. Certainly not large enough to power the whole house at once and maybe not able to power 240V circuits. SO plenty to consider or change on the house end.

On the RV end, where is the "power" you plug your cord into going to come from? The little household outlet on the outside? The RV needs what I said earlier to work to it's fullest potential.

Bad advice is one thing. Might get wet, stranded, hit in the head if you unknowingly follow bad advice about most things, save for electrical. Following bad electrical advice will just zap or kill ya right there on the spot.
If he was a knowledgeable residential electrician, he wouldn't have these questions.

You have no clue what I know. Anytime you want to compare credentials let me know.

2005 34' Expedition Cat C7 Allison 3000

BackOfThePack

Fort Worth

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/22 07:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unless weather were below freezing in the daytime, moving into the RV seems better to me.

Most gensets (unless a $$$$ motorhome) are going to have a duty cycle and installation isn’t quite meant for running days or weeks on end.

A Generac with extra propane tankage sounds better.

With an attached garage and appliances chosen as NEEDS for the smallest area — the RV just outside — I could see getting by.

I just wouldn’t care to try to run a house-sized kitchen and keep it heated or cooled versus using the RV and the attached garage as transition.

I’d be looking at a man-door to the garage, not just panel upgrades, and a sealed floor that could stand up to heavy family use + pets without adding to the burden. Garage can be subdivided many ways (insulation) to “fit” needs.

Spent some years on the Gulf Coast where hurricanes are an expectation. There aren’t any cheering good stories from those dumb enough to ride out no worse than loss of power. The size and duty-rating of a Genset (and fuel) to go for weeks is not, IMO, what is provided in an RV. Chasing fuel was 150-miles from coast and a full day of being gone.

You’ve “lost” the house. Don’t lose the RV also. Minimize demand.

2004 555 CTD QC LB NV-5600
1990 35’ Silver Streak

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/22 07:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BackOfThePack wrote:

A Generac with extra propane tankage sounds better.

Propane would be the worst possible choice. It is far less energy dense than gas, or diesel.

C Schomer

Pueblo West, Co.

View Profile

Posted: 06/12/22 07:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just a heads-up… IDK know how old your furnace is but my high efficiency 2016 furnace won’t run off my Honda… fussy electronics. Fridges have been electronic for decades and it works fine.
The old farm was all electric and I wired a 25kw pto driven gen in dads barn, in the mid 70s. Wire gauge was right and I made sure the bldgs and the gen had common gnds and neutral. REA put a manual disconnect on the main line and they let him do manual switching. Power was out for 4 days the next winter and dad said his poor old M went thru 50 gallons of gas a day.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/22 12:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gundog wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

You were serious...

You have no clue what I know. Anytime you want to compare credentials let me know.

Since Slowmover brought this one back from the dead, I saw your post.
Hilarious dude!
I have no idea what you know, you’re correct. But if you knew what you were doing, you wouldn’t be asking. (Seems strange to me, a lineman couldn’t do a little residential electric work, but….)

However, you got your undies in a bunch and I wasn’t even replying to you. Go back and look….lol

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

> Setting up your house to run off your RV generator?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.