cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

GY Endurance or Carlisle Radial Trail HD

thomas201
Explorer
Explorer
So, what is the word on the street? I am committed to 15" tires, so pretty much no truck tires will hold the camper. Now the real question, are the Endurance worth the extra 30 or 40 percent, over the Carlisle? I carry 8,050 pounds (after subtracting the pin weight) on 4 ST225/75R15 tires, rated at 2830 pounds each.

Thank you for the opinions.
14 REPLIES 14

robrose1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have had the Carlisle HD on my fiver for 7 years. I know it is time for new ones. The unit sat for 2 years in storage. Last week I went to check on it and the tires were all still at 55PSI. I have had no issues with them. I was a Maxxis fan until I blew one in San Diego and it had to be special ordered. Very hard tire to find in stock. I would but the Carlisle again without reservation
Rob and Rose
2013 Winnebago Lite Five 29FWRLS
2006 GMC DURAMAX/ALLISON

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
Will begin our second year on the Carlisle HD tire and am pleased so far. They have a very stout sidewall and a 3420 rating for an E rated tire which is higher then prior E tires I have had. No issues to date.

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Curly2001 wrote:
Goodyear for me, just on the trailer tires. Not impressed with the rest of Goodyear tires.....
Curly

I have Goodyear LT E tires on both of my trailers and Goodyear tires on 2 of my 3 vehicles. Got over 70K miles on my 2500 and much of it towing a fifth wheel or gooseneck. Replaced with same tire this past fall as they have treated me good. My truck is stock, not one for lift kits or anything else...

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Curly2001 wrote:
Goodyear for me, just on the trailer tires. Not impressed with the rest of Goodyear tires.....
Curly

For years I have run GY's on RV's and Michelin's on my vehicles with great success.

Three years ago I went with NITTO Ridge Grapplers on my 01 RAM Sport and have really liked the quiet ride, traction and excellent tread wear.

I finally gave up on the GY 17.5 "H" tires on my RV as I have had several tread separations/loss and one blowout. My weights are around 4,500# each with 4,805# of capacity. They simply would not last even tho they were ran at 125psi and at 60 most of the time and rarely in temps over 75. GY was great and replaced every tire and paid me $5,200 for my blowout damage.

When I ran them for several years on my last DRV they were perfect but at less than 4,000# on each tire.

So I started looking for a 17.5" US Made tire 18ply in "J" load range. Couldn't find any! The HEAVY DRV's have been running Continental 235/75 R17.5 HTL2 Eco Plus with great success.

Ordered a set from America's Tire in Palm Springs, CA since there were none available. Took 2 months to receive them. Paid $2,580.53 out the door.

These tires weigh around 65# and are BEEFY with 6,005# capacity at 125psi.

I bought Alcoa's since two of the OE wheels were scratched. I took the tires and wheels to WA to sell this spring on CL. Should have no problem selling for over $1,000 as one tire has 500 miles and the others around 5,000.

The new tires were dated 5021 so very fresh. They are Made in Czech Republic.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Curly2001
Explorer
Explorer
Curly
2019 Chev. Double cab 2500HD, 6.0, 4:10 diffs, six speed auto
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 265RK

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think the ENDURANCE has taken the title from MAXXIS.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
MAXXIS was the best until I found a tread separating off as I was preparing for a trip. Still have a MAXXIS spare but will not spend money on them again. Also had trouble way too early with DURO bias ply and Denman.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
With an 800 pound margin either tire brand will meet the challenge IMO.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Thermoguy wrote:
You pretty much know everyone on this site is going to tell you to buy American, buy Goodyear....

You sure you can't put a G rated tire on that trailer?

I agree, lots of parroting going on in these public forums. Everyone here used to parrot, "buy Maxxis they are the best." The newly designed Endurance, and Carlisle HD, are somewhat a copy of the Provider ST, that has been proven for more than 10 years.

In the OP, it was stated 8,050 lbs on the tires. Would you really want to put G-rated tires on, then deflate them to keep the trailer from falling apart? Not me!! The E-rated 2,830 load carrying tire is perfect for the OP, allowing way more than enough margin.

Jerry

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
You pretty much know everyone on this site is going to tell you to buy American, buy Goodyear....

You sure you can't put a G rated tire on that trailer?

Do you have a dually?

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
The Endurance has a good name, and it is MADE IN AMERICA. Thay would be enough for me. I spent the extra $$ and put 6 Goodyear G614, G rated tires on my trailer and no issues in 3 years.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Here is my opinion...no personal experience with either, but knowledge from research, as I am planning to replace my Providers this Spring. I'd get the Endurance, rather than Carlisle. My Provider tires were excellent tires, in every way! The Providers, Carlisle HD, and Endurance are all of newer similar design. Having had the Providers for years on my FW (installed OEM), I can vouch for them.

The Provider I need is a bit scarce, and a bit higher priced than the Endurance, at this time. I will likely buy new Endurance, price not as important as quality, reputation, and made in USA. People buying the Endurance, mostly report a fresh build date, very important to me.

If on a budget, I think the Carlisle HD are still a good choice, and like I mentioned similar design, including a higher M speed rating. Not that it really matters, but the Endurance is N-rated at 87 mph, vrs M at 81.

Jerry

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Do you want to know that once installed all you need to do is keep them properly inflated? If so the ENDURANCE with 5 years on the market and no reported non road hazard failures is your choice.

Talk to the Manager at your local Discount/America's Tire about pricing.

Bonus is they are Made in USA with a 87mph speed rating.