cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

$1000 for a 23 mile tow?

211Racing
Explorer
Explorer
Total Newbie here. Just bought a 2002 Tioga 24D. After many DIY tests and replacing Fuel Pump Fuse, Relay and Fuel Filter, I have concluded that my RV isn't starting due to a Fuel Pump gone bad. It sat unattended for over a year. We've had AAA forever. Upgraded to their RV package. They'll cover the first $500 of a tow, but the service that they contract with (or at least the one that could do a tow today) wanted $1000. As in $500 from me too. Is there a trick to getting a decent priced tow? Thanks.
26 REPLIES 26

whjco
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
whjco wrote:
I was driving a 45' Motor Coach in Eastern KY and the road took a sharp curve up the mountain. The left front and right rear skid plates made contact with the pavement and I got stuck right in the middle of the road. I had to pay $250 for a 6-foot tow.

No roadside assistance on your MH policy?

This was a 55 passenger Prevost commercial motor coach.
Bill J., Lexington, KY
2006 Starcraft 2500RKS 25' Travel Trailer
2015 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.7 Cummins.

wapiticountry
Explorer
Explorer
Look at the price from the tow operatorโ€™s point of view. 23 extra miles is really a 46 mile round trip. Thatโ€™s more fuel and an hour of time delay to get to the next guy waiting for a tow. They may lose that next tow to a competitor who can get there quicker. Towing bigger rigs isnโ€™t easy or cheap to begin with. The equipment costs and skill levels are much higher than required to tow a car. Like almost all businesses the tow operators know what the competition charges and what they need to charge to stay in business. While you could probably go to the local bar and fine a couple of guys with a pickup and a tow chain willing to give it a try, it is very unlikely shopping around would save you hundreds of dollars without sacrificing ability.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Proper repair is to remove trans, stand on torque converter end and do the RnR of the seal. Just a little HOT.

:E
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

when I was running tow trucks/wreckers we were AAA also... Our policy was FREE back to our station, the AAA fee to the closest AAA facility... Any other facility was a per mile rate...

Loved working weekend nights, would sometimes get the drunks that were smart enough to not drive, but dumb enough to call AAA for a tow saying they broke down... AND they wanted to be towed to their house ! :B
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
whjco wrote:
I was driving a 45' Motor Coach in Eastern KY and the road took a sharp curve up the mountain. The left front and right rear skid plates made contact with the pavement and I got stuck right in the middle of the road. I had to pay $250 for a 6-foot tow.

No roadside assistance on your MH policy?
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

whjco
Explorer
Explorer
Bill J., Lexington, KY
2006 Starcraft 2500RKS 25' Travel Trailer
2015 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.7 Cummins.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
I mean, how DARE they charge money for their services?

After all you're in distress. You need help. It should be free.

Just amazes me how people automatically think they're being shafted when a company charges money for their services.

I have zero use for AAA. The one time I needed them they covered NOTHING. Just sent the most expensive tow service in town.

The only other experience I have with AAA is not good either. This guy was at our flying field as a guest and his car wouldn't start. No problem, he had AAA and they'd come and get it. Two hours later the tow truck shows up, "We don't go offroad." No problem it's a little car we'll push it up here for you. Give us a couple of minutes. We're trucking along with the car, going to be up to him in about a minute, and HE DRIVES AWAY! Call AAA back and tell them that the driver just left for no reason, oh no problem we'll get someone else. THREE HOURS LATER the SAME GUY shows up. This time we had the car up by the road and he had no excuse. Had I been the age I am now I would have lit into him and told him what's what.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Something came out of alignment inside by not having it stood on end. It all should stack so something came out of alignment causing lack of lubrication.

Mechanic has a great rep. Unfortunately for him the AISIN requires a different procedure and he simply never works on them because they are so dependable. Now he knows!

Ah, gotcha, thanks!
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Something came out of alignment inside by not having it stood on end. It all should stack so something came out of alignment causing lack of lubrication.

Mechanic has a great rep. Unfortunately for him the AISIN requires a different procedure and he simply never works on them because they are so dependable. Now he knows!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Proper repair is to remove trans, stand on torque converter end and do the RnR of the seal. Just a little HOT.

Yikes, no kidding. Not sure I fully understand what happened, though. Starved for fluid?
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Where the two halves meet I had a leak. Pulled back half off new seal reassembled. It didnโ€™t feel right going together. New seal and tried again. Felt good so I picked it up hooked RV and started heading South to SoCal. Trans too hot message and dinging went into protection mode and finally pulled over where it was safe. Would not move after that. Torque converter got so hot the metal changed colors. New MOPAR reman a month later we headed South. Three year 100k warranty but reality is I would rather still have the original trans. This one does seem fine.

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I had BOTH, my 15 DRW (flatbed) and 16 DRV (semi truck) towed from Seattle North. RV to my home 45 miles and truck to Dealer that F-DUP my AISIN Transmission 60 miles. Total Cost was $1,800. Turned into my Auto Ins and a week later a check was sent minus my $100 deductible. Sure as heck wasn't the closest repair facility or place to park the RV.

I have American Family Ins and am VERY happy with what I get for my money. NEVER have gotten suckered into AAA or the like and simply add towing to all vehicles on Auto policy for very little $$$.

Yikes, what did they do to your transmission??

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have for many years had great service from AAA. No tricks or gimmicks and very helpful in other areas such as DMV free of charge. They are A Okay and good to go.