cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much power does an inverter use?

jornvango
Explorer II
Explorer II
In our Casita travel trailer, I have one 12V outlet. I have two inexpensive inverters (Walmart) that plug into the 12V outlet: one inverter is 100W, the other 400W.

My laptop needs 90W to charge. Does it matter if I plug it into the 100W inverter or the 400W inverter?
Am I correct to assume that the 400W inverter will only draw down the RV battery based on what I plug into it? As in, if I plug in my laptop which requires 90W, will the 400W inverter only draw 90W from the RV battery or does it always pull 400W?

I'm electrically challenged and am trying to figure out what I need.

Thanks!

Jorn
8 REPLIES 8

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with the comments about “not pushing” the cigarette adaptor. Running a small inverter to power my 50 watt usage TV is the max I demand.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

A word of caution in using the 12V power source. They are fine for light duty use, charging a phone and other small devices.

These outlets rely on a 2 contact plug to get power. The tip typically has a little spring loaded contact that touches a metal plate for connection. It is iffy at best, ok for small stuff.

The heavier the load, the more demand placed on the surface to surface contact point. Over time, a bit of surface corrosion can build up and increase resistance. Increased resistance = increased heat, which can lead to failure of the socket, and possibly fire.

The original design of these things was to power a cigarette lighter, which does draw hard, but only for a few seconds.

Running heavier draw devices for long periods of time is risky. Be careful. A good plan would be to hard wire an inverter in there.

I had a triple plug that operates off a single outlet in my truck. I ran 3 things in there, all light duty, GPS, dashcam, phone charger. The unit started giving me trouble, and I smelled something burning. The triple socket got so hot that the plastic was melting. So much for that....
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
rdhetrick wrote:
Since nobody answered your actual question, Yes, the inverter will only draw from the batter what is needed - plus its "dead" load.
Correct. Every inverter uses a small amount of current to run itself.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
The situation is even worse than described. Your laptop runs on dc battery power so you are losing efficiency by inverting to A/C current and then the laptop needs to convert that to dc of the correct voltage. Both processes lose efficiency.

A better solution is to use a "car" charger without the need to invert the current. With a bit of checking you should find this for your laptop. I do the same for other charging when possible. That includes items such as charging camera batteries.

Actually I am surprised that an inverter is over 80% efficient. Even small ones put out a lot of heat and have built in cooling fans.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
What PianoTuna said... they are about 88% efficient (up to 90)
I figure the estimated 12 volt load by dividing the 120 volt load in watts by 10 and it's remarkably close to the panel ammeter reading.

There is some "Idle" load (overhead to operate the inverter's computer parts)
But basically the load the inverter presents to the batteries is dependent on what it is powering

A 100 watt light bulb. about 10-11 amps
a 1000 watt microwave about 100-105 amps. Note that 1000 watts on the microwave is input (about 750 cooking power)

a 1500 watt teakettle (I have one) 150-160 amps
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

rdhetrick
Explorer
Explorer
jornvango wrote:

Am I correct to assume that the 400W inverter will only draw down the RV battery based on what I plug into it?
Jorn

Since nobody answered your actual question, Yes, the inverter will only draw from the batter what is needed - plus it's "dead" load.

The 400w probably larger dead load than the 100w, but that is not certain and would depend on efficiencies.

And as others have pointed out, the ratings are peak, but so is the 90w charger.
Rob - Solo Full Timer
2017 Winnebago Travato 59G
Former 2006 Mandalay 40E

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
The 100 and 400 are less than that continuous. The 400 will be about 320, so use that.

meanwhile the RV 12v socket might only do 8 amps so your laptop wanting 9 amps is pushing it. You want the 400 on a battery with wires and clamps (it should have come with a set) to do that job.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Jorn,

Inverters are about 88% efficient when operating at full load.

So loss is about 12%.

Use the inverter that is the smallest that will power the load.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.