Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is your speed uphill?

speediq99
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are new to the 5th wheel world.

My 32ft MH f450 was very slow going up hills (6%). It will keep 45mph.

Our 2021 F150 32ft TT combo could do 65mph on the same hills with ease.

I don't want to win any races but I hated the motorhome going up hill and loved the F150 with the TT.

We now have a 2022 Ram 3500 4.1 gears Diesel LB and are buying a 44ft 5th wheel (14,000 dry).

Most videos I have seen (2019) have people flooring the RAM and getting to 45mph on 6% hills towing 28K lbs. What can I expect towing 16k? Does the RAM have enough power to keep up good speed going up hill? If so, what are you towing and what is your tow vehicle?

It looks like newer F350 and F450 can get up to 70mph up hills better than RAM 3500 but the stuff I have been watching could be biased. What is your experience?

Thanks

MC
61 REPLIES 61

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
FishOnOne wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I think I know who is winning this pizzing contest.

At 236k miles my transmission has never sat on some dirty shop floor like your aisin. Bam! :C

Sorry looking at FACTS you choose to not report you LOOSE.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:

At 236k miles my transmission has never sat on some dirty shop floor like your aisin. Bam! :C
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

INCREDIBLE!!!

My truck went into the shop to get a small leak fixed under warranty that had NOTHING to do with it's performance. The Mechanic has 40 years doing transmissions and a great reputation.

He removed the back half of the trans replaced the gasket and it didn't feel right going back together. New gasket and it felt good and did a test ride all was good to go. I towed it 45 miles and it self destructed because he did not know and follow the proper procedure to replace the gasket. He admitted it was his fault but said he simply has touched two AISIN's in his career and they were simply RnR. Proper procedure is to remove trans, stand on it's end then do the gasket replacement letting gravity be your friend.

So Fish next time give all the FACTS you already know when trying to make something look bad so people can know the truth.

Ron, is that the same mechanic that is going to be replacing Bosch CP4-2 injection pumps on RAM/Cummins truck with the much more reliable CP3 pumps under a recall for all RAM trucks that have the CP4-2? I do not recall hearing about any Ford mechanics going to be doing that?

Cummins implementation of the CP4.2 was terrible and like firepunk reported the CP4.2 was overdriven and the failures was crazy. Cummins didn't have the CP4.2 failures in their 5.0 diesel compared to the 6.7.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don’t think HE will be replacing any pumps as he is their transmission guy.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:

INCREDIBLE!!!

My truck went into the shop to get a small leak fixed under warranty that had NOTHING to do with it's performance. The Mechanic has 40 years doing transmissions and a great reputation.

He removed the back half of the trans replaced the gasket and it didn't feel right going back together. New gasket and it felt good and did a test ride all was good to go. I towed it 45 miles and it self destructed because he did not know and follow the proper procedure to replace the gasket. He admitted it was his fault but said he simply has touched two AISIN's in his career and they were simply RnR. Proper procedure is to remove trans, stand on it's end then do the gasket replacement letting gravity be your friend.

So Fish next time give all the FACTS you already know when trying to make something look bad so people can know the truth.

Ron, is that the same mechanic that is going to be replacing Bosch CP4-2 injection pumps on RAM/Cummins truck with the much more reliable CP3 pumps under a recall for all RAM trucks that have the CP4-2? I do not recall hearing about any Ford mechanics going to be doing that?
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Good transmission??? Too funny as the true MD AISIN doesn’t break. No the straight six does not need more gears.

Yeah too funny is correct... Isn't this a picture of your tiny transmission?

Come on Fish is that all you have??? Doesn't your Brothers first cousins wives dad'a uncle have some pics of real failed AISIN???

You know the facts about my trans so why don't you include them with the picture for full disclosure???

Not sure 400# for a transmission classifies it as "tiny".

Fact is that's your transmission on the floor and your truck is on the lift because of your transmission.

Sincerely,
The No Spin Zone :B

INCREDIBLE!!!

You said "MD AISIN doesn’t break" and the fact is there's a tiny Aisin on the floor and a truck on the lift as a result.

The No Spin Zone...

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
FishOnOne wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Good transmission??? Too funny as the true MD AISIN doesn’t break. No the straight six does not need more gears.

Come on Fish is that all you have??? Doesn't your Brothers first cousins wives dad'a uncle have some pics of real failed AISIN???

You know the facts about my trans so why don't you include them with the picture for full disclosure???

Fact is that's your transmission on the floor and your truck is on the lift because of your transmission.

Sincerely,

INCREDIBLE!!!

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Sincerely,

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
As long as I can get from the bottom to the top, I'm good.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
Not nice fish.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
FishOnOne wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
My truck slows on the 6%+ grades. I don't need to be first to the top and I have never been last. Although if I get stuck behind and lose momentum it can take the rest of the climb to get back up to speed. Hardest climb was on the floor in low gear and losing speed.... still made it when a couple others were pulled over cooling off.

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
And BTW I'm part owner of two Dodge Ram trucks with ..... a sorry transmission to back it up.

That doesn't narrow it done much, lol. I'm full owner of a Ram and a bunch of Dodge trucks in the past and speaking of calling a spade a spade, I could go on a Clark Griswold, got screwed out of my Xmas bonus tirade about most Dodge/Ram transmissions!

47/48RE, are ok and are simple and can be built VERY strong. But they were obsolete by the turn of the century, yet Dodge continued to use them for another half dozen years...
68RFE, again, decent from a reliability standpoint, but already outdated technology when they were introduced, still shift like a wet bag of dog poo, and now, 15 years later, it should be just embarrassing for everyone from the CEO down to the poor sap who has to put them in the new trucks on the assembly line...When people ask that guy what he does for a living, he probably says he's the local Chucky Cheese mascot, as that is less embarrassing!
Aisin, great trans, but still Ram is riding old technology and would be better with more gears (if the ZF Powerline would ever get introduced....would be a good day for Ram fans)
NV5600 - Best trans of the last 20 years. It shifts like a truck, but it's there.
G56 - trans is good, OE clutch may not outlast the first set of windshield wipers though!
And now there's no option for either handshaker...:(

If Ram would sign up to the ZF for their HD diesel trucks they would finally have a good transmission, but it probably is just too costly since they outsource the diffs, diesel engine already.

As for manual transmissions we had one in a 05 Dodge and pulling a water tank out on the turn rows was a bear and no one wanted to drive it. So it was sold and we got another 05 Dodge with a automatic.

Fish, just because you and your team can’t drive a stick doesn’t make them bad. Too funny! 😉 :B
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes