Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: can I tow on the ball
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Pictures of our TT's

> can I tow on the ball

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/22 10:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HuckleberryHunter wrote:

CAN you? Yes. SHOULD you? IMO, no.

WDH is there for a reason.

Yup. And in the OPs case it would be there to lighten the wallet (after purchasing one) and adding frustration and time to hooking up the trailer.
No need whatsoever for a wdh in his scenario.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/22 10:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:

afidel wrote:

I've seen plenty of 2500 diesels with their headlights towards the sky. I'm not sure how much tongue weight those landscaping trailers have but they're the most common offender. Beyond that there vast majority of wdh also offer another significant advantage which is anti-sway and sway is one of those things that by there time it rears its ugly head it's generally too late.

Ah, yes, "antisway" WD, hate to break it to you but if you do not need weight restoration to restore weight back onto the front axles then your WD with antisway will not have enough pressure to be an effective anti sway device..

The two items go together (WD and antisway).

In other words if you do not have enough pressure on the spring bars, you will not have antisway.

Vehicle manufacturers no longer recommend 100% restoration to the front, restoration is what WD is all about..

OP having a 3/4 ton with Diesel engine is starting out several hundred pounds more weight than a gas engine.. The few pounds of weight that might get transferred from the front to rear will be statistically insignificant and the OP will most likely have the spring bars barely tight.. The only issue the OP will have is not overloading the rear axle.

As far as anti sway devices goes, they are a bandaid at best that folks use to cover up too low of tongue weight and/or in sufficient tow vehicle match.

One should never ever depend on an anti sway device to fix problems, one should always ensure they have a good towing match with a trailer of sufficient TW when loaded.. After all, WD hitches and friction anti sway devices can fail, and if they happen to fail when you need it most then you are in a heap of trouble. I am not talking about the bare minimum of 10% TW, but going the extra distance with 15%..

Get it right first, then if it makes you sleep better at night apply some anti sway device.

OP does have plenty of cargo weight (2200 lbs) to cover their trailer without WD even with the revised weight they have given..

There are hundreds of thousands or more contractors towing cargo and flatbed trailers that have never had WD or anti sway devices attached.. Many commercial contractor rigs use pintle hitches (rings) which WD cannot be used with..

Only here on RV forums we have folks believing the WD and anti sway devices must be used across the board on all cases.

Gde, it’s like talking to yourself in a vacuum wrt wdhs on here.
The death grip that people who have no idea how to tow, put on wdhs is nothing short of amazing sometimes….lol.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/22 10:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ssthrd wrote:

Your class 5 receiver is good for 1,000# without weight distribution, so you should be well under that. When I pulled my 7,000# TT with my 3500, I dialed in enough WD to give me some sway control. Made a definite difference.

Just because you have a 2500 hd doesn't mean that you don't need sway control. It's for the trailer, not the truck. If it's not loaded right, it will sway.

If it’s a 4th gen or newer, any Ram with a 2.5” receiver, it’s double what you said for rated tongue load.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/22 10:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And pintle hitches, like Gde mentioned….good lord, how do those trailers even stay on the road?? ROFL

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/22 11:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Road Phantom wrote:

My truck is a Ram 2500 diesel with a GVWR of 10,000lbs. My trailer weighs 5300 unloaded. I travel with a full tank of water and not much else, so my total cargo weight is maybe in the four hundred lb range.

Do I need a weight distribution hitch with this combo or can I safely tow it on the ball. Thanks.

So you have the truck, you have the trailer, you strongly allude to having had this combo for a while. Why not just hook it up and go see for yourself?

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/22 11:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ivylog wrote:

X2 on the ^^^above. Your payload is 4000 lbs. .

More misinformation...There aint a Ram 2500 diesel out there with a 4klb rated payload, or anywhere close to it. And the factory springs, whether old leaf style or newer coil style also won't hold anywhere near 4klbs without sitting on the bump stops.

That said, I hauled 4klbs+ in my Ram 2500 (leafs) many times, truck camper. But it took homemade stable loads and 40-50psi of air to keep the @ss end up.
Not saying truck won't handle 4klbs, saying you don't have a "4klb payload."

wanderingbob

monticeeo, fla

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/22 12:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Try pulling it , I have the same truck and trailer weight and have been pulling this trailer since 2014 . I do not use or need a WDH . That is the reason you buy a 3/4 ton truck . I have driven over 100K pulling this TT . TRY it , you might like it !

nickthehunter

Southgate, MI

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/22 01:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

I'm sure glad you never got a chance to talk to the full trailer I pulled the most. MT TW was less than 0.05%. Loaded, less than 0.005%. Replace bushings in tongue about every 50,000 miles, and it tracked like it was on rails.
Now when talking RVs, or most other trailers, the TW is important. You should set things up to where sway is unlikely, then add sway control for when something goes wrong.
I'm pretty sure your tongue weight was way more than 0.05%. At 0.05% a 10,000 lbs trailer would have a tongue weight of about 5 lbs.

BurbMan

Indianapolis, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/15/22 02:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JIMNLIN wrote:

wildtoad wrote:

Why guess about your weights? Go weigh your truck and trailer as setup for camping and base your decision on facts.

Best advise at this time as you/were just guessing. Scaled front and rear axle weights will tell the tale.
However you have the truck and trailer so hook it up and go for a short drive and see how the rig handles. You may or may not need a WD hitch. No cents/sense in buying one if its not needed.
\ You can also use those weights for setting up a WD hitch.

X3 on the good advise here. The "average" camper loads 1200 lbs over dry weight in their camper before they add water, reason being is that mfrs don't account for propane, batteries, etc. in their dray weight #'s. Plus the stuff you don't count like pots/pans, clothes, etc., really adds up.

You are probably 1000 lbs over dry weight with full water, but that doesn't automatically mean you need a WD hitch. See how it tows, get your weights, and go from there.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/22 02:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nickthehunter wrote:

JRscooby wrote:

I'm sure glad you never got a chance to talk to the full trailer I pulled the most. MT TW was less than 0.05%. Loaded, less than 0.005%. Replace bushings in tongue about every 50,000 miles, and it tracked like it was on rails.
Now when talking RVs, or most other trailers, the TW is important. You should set things up to where sway is unlikely, then add sway control for when something goes wrong.
I'm pretty sure your tongue weight was way more than 0.05%. At 0.05% a 10,000 lbs trailer would have a tongue weight of about 5 lbs.

Truth is, I never weighed the tongue. I know I had no issue picking up either end to move it. I know I put a modified bumper jack on it because I could not hold it up and back the truck in place. I know the trailer had a MT weight of 8600 lbs. And I know that with the tongue hinged at back, all the weight loaded in the box (normally about 17 tons. Minimum 12) was carried on the axles.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Pictures of our TT's

> can I tow on the ball
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.