cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

formaldehyde smell

Kentucky_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
Bought a new 5th wheel.i believe I am getting bad headaches when in camper from new smells, probably formaldehyde. We have opened up for weeks, ran fans, closed up and ran heater high. We purchased "no-odor" and placed in camper. Does anyone have any other ideas, we are headed out on first trip and don't want to have a headache every day. Don't want to try to cover smell up with anything flowery or perfumes. Have any ideas?
12 REPLIES 12

dedmiston
My wife has a large scented candle in a jar that the puts out every day when we get to camp. She used to light the candle when the RV was new, but now she just sets it on the counter and opens the lid.

At first it was to mask the "new trailer" smell. Now I think it's just to cover up any of life's scents (two dogs, me, holding tanks, ..., me, ...).

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
The stuff can be very dangerous to your lungs and overall health even with mild amount of fumes just in case you. I have had very brief exposures to very strong fumes many years ago in an EMS setting with instant headaches and burning eyes and nose.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1734514206850757&type=3

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
Pretty much nothing to do other than air it out as much as you can and give it time.

Anything else may cover the smell but it will still be there, so assuming the headaches are not psychosomatic, you will still get them.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
make sure your batteries are not boiling ,they put of a nasty smell.

Battery off gasses are sulphur like smells or rotten eggs and not anything like formaldehyde.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Downunda wrote:
A new trailer we bought a few years ago had the same problem, in our case we pinpointed the problem to the Chinese made mattress giving off the formaldehyde smell.
The trailer manufacturer (Jayco Australia) denied there was a problem so we just ditched the mattress and bought a locally made one and the problem was solved.

We bought a MH new in 2012 that had the same smell and it was the cheap mattress also. Swapped it out for a memory foam and the smell immediately went away. The mattress was uncomfortable anyway.

Ozone generator might work to rid the rest of the off-gassing from all the other VOC's but just use caution and read the instructions when using Ozone. It can be harmful to your health if not done properly.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
make sure your batteries are not boiling ,they put of a nasty smell.

Downunda
Explorer
Explorer
A new trailer we bought a few years ago had the same problem, in our case we pinpointed the problem to the Chinese made mattress giving off the formaldehyde smell.
The trailer manufacturer (Jayco Australia) denied there was a problem so we just ditched the mattress and bought a locally made one and the problem was solved.

slider45
Nomad
Nomad
bgum wrote:
Two methods: 1 put 3 or 4 saucers or shallow bowls filled with vinegar in the space and let it sit for a week. Then remove the saucers and air out the space. 2nd sift baking soda on all surfaces. Let sit for a few days then vacuum the material surfaces and wipe the hard surfaces. Air out the space for a day.

This should help with your problem.

Okay I will tip my friend neighbor with those tricks.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Two methods: 1 put 3 or 4 saucers or shallow bowls filled with vinegar in the space and let it sit for a week. Then remove the saucers and air out the space. 2nd sift baking soda on all surfaces. Let sit for a few days then vacuum the material surfaces and wipe the hard surfaces. Air out the space for a day.

This should help with your problem.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
https://www.researchgate.net/post/Does_anyone_have_experience_with_neutralization_of_formaldehyde

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sounds to me you are doing everything right... Other than TIME there is not much I can advise... Ozone might help... or not... Sadly There is a lot of Spray Foam (like Great Stuff foam filler sealant) and other insulation in RV's that is based on the stuff and it takes a while to bake out,
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

wgriswold
Explorer
Explorer
Ozone generator?
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 Laramie
Arctic Fox 25Y