Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: F350 LT275/70r18 tires
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> F350 LT275/70r18 tires

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/22 07:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You need to know what wieght you will literally be putting in the axle. If constantly over by a few hundred lbs, get a stronger capacity tire the next time around.
My funding with driving and loading trucks, going to a bigger size, or wieght rating, if I only need new load rated tires at a D 8 ply psi, the pricer E 10 ply rated tire does NOT carry the load any better. I'm better off saving my money.
If I go up in size, I can go down in ply load rating too. UNLESS I need addition load carrying capacity.
My experience is probably similar to Grit using light duty trucks in a construction use. Including running down the road at 150% of tire capacity. I should point out too, in usually on city county roads doing less than 50 mph for 5-10 Mike's, not freeway at 60 in 90f temps. Your mileage may vary in this. I'm also within legal axle loads in WA st which is 500 lbs per inch width of tire, along with a paid for gvw for loads I carry.
Marty

92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

shelbyfv

TN

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/22 07:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rhagfo wrote:

shelbyfv wrote:

Apologies for the piggyback question but this seems a good place to ask. If I adhere to the payload door sticker (Combined weight of...should never exceed) do I need to be concerned about any specific axle or tire capacity? In other words, if I don't exceed the payload can I assume the rear axle and tires have enough capacity for the load? Just a general question, no specifics in mind. Thanks.

Hard question to answer with out knowing your payload, depending on what is carried in the TV, there are likely some combinations that it might be possible.
[emoticon] So even if under payload, it's still possible to exceed the rating for axle or tires?

IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/22 09:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just my opinion but payload ratings are meaningless imo. Know your axle and tire ratings and stay within those and you'll be fine.

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/22 09:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rhagfo wrote:

shelbyfv wrote:

Apologies for the piggyback question but this seems a good place to ask. If I adhere to the payload door sticker (Combined weight of...should never exceed) do I need to be concerned about any specific axle or tire capacity? In other words, if I don't exceed the payload can I assume the rear axle and tires have enough capacity for the load? Just a general question, no specifics in mind. Thanks.

Hard question to answer with out knowing your payload, depending on what is carried in the TV, there are likely some combinations that it might be possible.

Huh? That is probably the most succinct, easy to answer correctly, question that has been asked on here in some time! LOL
The answer is no you don't need to worry 1 bit, about any component, based on the mfgs rated payload. Seeing as it is always the lowest common denominator of components' capacities, often combined with regulatory limitations that further lower the "rating" artificially, the only way one could be more conservative is to place their own personal unfounded factor of safety ON TOP of the mfgs rating.

This is so clear cut that I can't even think of an obtuse response considering some obscure condition that someone on this forum generally brings up anytime someone uses words like "always", "neve", "certian", etc.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/22 09:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

shelbyfv wrote:

rhagfo wrote:

shelbyfv wrote:

[emoticon] So even if under payload, it's still possible to exceed the rating for axle or tires?

Hah, shelby, I found a rv.net obtuse answer I hand't thought of...
"What if" someone put the same size P rated tires on the truck? LOL

rhafgo turned into a weight cop a couple years ago when he quit running a very stout old 2nd Gen and upgraded to a dually....

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/22 09:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IdaD wrote:

Just my opinion but payload ratings are meaningless imo. Know your axle and tire ratings and stay within those and you'll be fine.

So, springs, transmission etc don't matter?

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/22 10:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Actually it's very EASY to overload an axle while still UNDER payload.
Put a 3000 lb pallet of sod, concrete blocks/paver on and in the very back of an 8' box truck with a 6000 lb ra capacity. You will probably be over the approx 3500 lbs of load capacity for the axle rating.
You will lower the rear enough that you start pulling wieght off the FA onto the RA, putting it over it's capacity.
Yes been there, done that.ore fingers and toes counting than grit and I have combined.
Likewise depending upon the truck bed length, you can put a load in the very front of the bed, for my IHC, 4-5000 lbs in the front 4' of the bed on pallets will add 2000 lbs to the FA overloading the 8000 gfaw of that truck. It has typically about 5900 on it empty. 12000 lbs to axle limits, 14000 to legal registered legal weight limit.

Reality, very easy to overload an axle! That is the way MOST commercial drivers get over wieght tickets, by not balancing the load so an axle is not over wieght, but under there paid for gvw.

Marty

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/22 12:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IdaD wrote:

SOOOOO true!!!

Simple math on my truck. SAE RAWR 9,750#, now add that to my 5,250# unloaded front axle. HMMMMMMM that is 15k. But But how is that possible when my GVWR is 14k.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/22 12:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MNRon wrote:

FishOnOne - thanks for your comment. I was also surprised that it came with Continentals not Michelin’s. I have lots of good experience with Michelin’s but not any with Continental’s, but the tire guy I talked with had high praise for the Continentals.

Yeah I forgot the 18" tires are Continentals which historically have been decent tires at best.

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"250k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

MNRon

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/16/22 08:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks all for the insights. I’ve decided to run the stock tires and apply the money to some Li batteries which will lighten the load a little. When I do replace the tires in a few years I do plan on upsizing though.

Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> F350 LT275/70r18 tires
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.