cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

iPad as a GPS device

dryfly
Explorer
Explorer
I recently got a wifi only (non-cellular) iPad. Is there a way to tether the iPad to an iPhone to enable using it as a GPS device?
18 REPLIES 18

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
I plugged in a Bad Elf gps on my non-cellular iPad mini for an aviation GPS nav unit. Worked just fine.
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

You never mentioned what version of the iPad you acquired?

A more straightforward solution may be to just sell your present iPad on Ebay, and get a used WiFi/Cellular model? A list of iPads compatible with latest iPadOS is available here. Some available under $200.

If you're using it primarily as GPS, and don't need the current features supported in the most recent iPadOS, then a few are available for less than $100. that support version 12. Check the GPS app you want to use, though many popular ones still support iOS/iPadOS 12 and up.

dryfly
Explorer
Explorer
fyrflie wrote:
dryfly wrote:
I recently got a wifi only (non-cellular) iPad. Is there a way to tether the iPad to an iPhone to enable using it as a GPS device?

Just found this after I posted my response.
โ€œAirLocation is an iOS app that sends GPS data from your iPhone to your Wi-Fi-only iPad. To use it, you activate the Personal Hotspot on the iPhone, connect the iPad to the hotspot and run the app on both devices. Now you can use proper, accurate GPS data to track yourself on the iPad's large screen.โ€

https://www.wired.com/2011/04/airlocation-sends-gps-data-from-iphone-to-ipad/

I couldnโ€™t find the actual app anywhere but it did lead me to numerous other posts both on the internet and YouTube about how to accomplish what your trying to do.

Hope this helps.

That sounds like the solution, but as you say the app is nowhere to be found. I'm surprised there are not more apps like that out there. I'll do some more searching and look for the posts you mention. Thanks.

fyrflie
Explorer III
Explorer III
dryfly wrote:

Just found this after I posted my response.
โ€œAirLocation is an iOS app that sends GPS data from your iPhone to your Wi-Fi-only iPad. To use it, you activate the Personal Hotspot on the iPhone, connect the iPad to the hotspot and run the app on both devices. Now you can use proper, accurate GPS data to track yourself on the iPad's large screen.โ€

https://www.wired.com/2011/04/airlocation-sends-gps-data-from-iphone-to-ipad/

I couldnโ€™t find the actual app anywhere but it did lead me to numerous other posts both on the internet and YouTube about how to accomplish what your trying to do.

Hope this helps.

fyrflie
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a slightly different setup than what you are asking. I use a Garmin GPS receiver and connect it to my iPad via Bluetooth. Then use any navigation program you want. I get the large, easy to read screen and great useable features without relying on cell service.
I have read that an iPad with cell capability has the gps chip built in. And you do not have to pay for an extra phone number.
But to answer your question, I have not tried to connect my iPhone to my iPad for navigation. Only for hotspot use while camping.
Good luck.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jackathan wrote:
Wifi only iPads do not contain the GPS hardware to allow them to act as a standalone GPS. The OP is wanting to know if the iPhone can somehow share it's GPS info with the iPad. I don't believe simply using the iPhone as a hotspot will work for that. It would be easy to test, though.
Does the iPone actually use GPS satellite signals direct? I thought phones used the cell tower position to geolocate the phone.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The necessary Adapter to plug in a USB device like the Microsoft Dongle I have

I'd offer you the MIcrosoft dongle free if I knew where it is.

The Garmin GPS-18X with USB plug hower is likely much better "Dongle" I'm not getting rid of that one. NO way.. (I hope to install it in a week or 2)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

dryfly
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
I do not know if the I-pad can read the phone's GPS however

Can you get a GPS Dongle for the I-Pad. most of them are designed to plug into USB-2 or 3 but you might be able to find one for the pad. This will be WIRED however (plugs in) I have one for a radio I use that I've yet to install (Need better weather and a few parts) Once that's done my radio will know where it is all the time... (some of them do now but this is the one in my car so it moves)

If the pad has a standard USB port look at the Garmin GPS-18X The one I have does NOT have a USB connector but they make it with.

I am not that familiar with the iPad but I don't think the port on the iPad is a standard USB 2 or 3 port. Maybe someone will correct me if I'm wrong. I bet if it were possible there would be lots of info out there, and of yet I have found none.

I did a quick look at the Garmin 18X and it appears it is for interfacing with a computer. Since I have other GPS devices to rely on, I'm not that interested in spending a lot of time or money, but just wondered if the phone and pad might work together. It's looking like it's a no go.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I do not know if the I-pad can read the phone's GPS however

Can you get a GPS Dongle for the I-Pad. most of them are designed to plug into USB-2 or 3 but you might be able to find one for the pad. This will be WIRED however (plugs in) I have one for a radio I use that I've yet to install (Need better weather and a few parts) Once that's done my radio will know where it is all the time... (some of them do now but this is the one in my car so it moves)

If the pad has a standard USB port look at the Garmin GPS-18X The one I have does NOT have a USB connector but they make it with.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
The only way I know is to swipe up on the bottom (down from the top on some versions) of your iphone to find the screen where you can turn on airplane mode or adjust the volume. On that screen click on the mirroring button and see if your ipad shows up. It won't be perfect, but it will be larger than the iphone screen.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

dryfly
Explorer
Explorer
Jackathan wrote:
Wifi only iPads do not contain the GPS hardware to allow them to act as a standalone GPS. The OP is wanting to know if the iPhone can somehow share it's GPS info with the iPad. I don't believe simply using the iPhone as a hotspot will work for that. It would be easy to test, though.

Yes, maybe I need to clarify my OP. I already know how to how to tether via Bluetooth and WiFi, and use as a hotspot. Since the iPad has no built-in GPS, I want to use the iPhone's capabilities, and also because of the larger monitor on the iPad.

I've tried it before on another older iPad with marginal success. There was considerable lag time between the GPS reading on the Pad and that of the phone.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The answer is yes. but since I do not have an IOS device I'm a tad weak on the how... I DO. however. use Pi-star Radio hotspots and thus belong to the pi-star facebook group.. I do not know if you can read it without joining.

You need to open the Mobile hotspot application on the I-phone and make sure you have it "Discoverable" By the I-pad... then connect to it and enter the SSID as you would your home router.

What I do not know is can you then close the app on the phone

Also you will have to open the hotspot app on the phone EVERY TIME you turn on the I-pad if it works like the Pi-Star's.

Two alternative solutions
One ... Android phone (Not as hard to connect to) since you are an IOS user this is likely not your best option

Spend the 10 to 20 bucks a month for a "2nd line" "My-Fi" type device.. small box that has a phone number but all it does is data. Cellular to Wi-Fi. your cell phone provider can supply This is what I'd recommend since odds are you will need to Re-connect on the road and with the My-Fi type devices (NOTE one provider calls them that the others should know what you are talking about). the I-pad should auto-connect. Good luck.

Jackathan
Explorer
Explorer

I don't think the WiFi iPad has a built-in GPS chip. Instead, search how to mirror (or cast) your iPhone to your iPad. There's too much to explain here.

Basically, you use your iPhone w/GPS app and wirelessly mirror the screen to your iPad.