cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jerem Bought a new truck!

jerem0621
Explorer
Explorer
Well, the time and opportunity came for me to buy a new truck.

My wife and I just purchased a brand new 2022 Silverado Custom 2wd Crew Cab.

It’s a little more than basic and a huge upgrade (spec wise) over our beloved 2011 Tahoe.

This one has the 2.7l Turbo with 3.42 rear axle. The truck is rated at 9,200 lbs trailer weight (we are going to test that), has 1880 ish lbs of payload and the 8 speed transmission.

The multi-flex tailgate is a game changer for me!

I have to install an brake controller and will probably go with a Redarc Tow-Pro Liberty.

I’m a tech junkie and specifically choose the 2.7 for all it’s capable of (towing and not towing). This isn’t the refreshed version but still pretty gee wiz.

Anyway, I plan on making videos of me installing my brake controller, hitch adjustment, and towing our 7,200 lb TT up and over Monteagle Mountain in TN. If you want to see those let me know and I’ll post links to them here.

Here are a few pics of our new Silver Silverado.

Thanks and have a great day!

Jerem
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~
21 REPLIES 21

jerem0621
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
With the 5.3L, cylinder deactivation and a light foot.

Impressive! I’m coming from a 2011 5.3l and commonly got 14.5-16 in regular driving. Highway about 17.5 ish.

19 was the highest I ever saw. But it was a 6 speed.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH

~Walt Disney~

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on the new ride. I didn’t know GM was still using the 8 speed.

Add me to those interested to hear how she tows.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
bgiroux wrote:
Nice looking truck!! I have an integrated step in my F150 and love it. Use it all the time. The older my knees get the less I want to jump off the tailgate. 🙂
Make sure to always tow in tow mode so you don’t overwork the engine.
Have fun!!

FWIW, towhaul mode and sport mode or whatever they call the checkered flag mode don’t do much really. Pulling a trailer, the only discernable difference is it does hold a lower gear better on descents. Up shifts and top gear for the load, speed and conditions are the same.
Good, because the trans is already “smart” enough. Bad, because now it’s essentially an unneeded feature.
It may lock out cylinder de-activation as well. Probably does, but there’s no indicator for cyl drop mode anymore and the switch between modes is indiscernible and no deactivation on the 4 banger anyway.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

bgiroux
Explorer
Explorer
Nice looking truck!! I have an integrated step in my F150 and love it. Use it all the time. The older my knees get the less I want to jump off the tailgate. 🙂
Make sure to always tow in tow mode so you don’t overwork the engine.
Have fun!!

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
With the 5.3L, cylinder deactivation and a light foot.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Nice Bucee's shirt and nice truck
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Looks awesome, enjoy! :C
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

blt2ski
Not bad mpg.
My 2014 is usually .5-.8 less than the dash amount.
Best meter has my 4.3 has been a bit over 26 all freeway. Big tires I'm down to 21.x, about 3 mpg normal city driving.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

jerem0621
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for all the kind comments everyone!

I just got home from Florida (yep bought it in Fl and drove it home, everything similar here is 5 to 10k plus more)

I topped off the tank about two or three exits above the Florida Turnpike on I75 North. I have just unloaded the truck from our luggage and stuff. I made it home without filling up again after filling up north of the turnpike. I’m going to hand calculate it when I fill it up tonight but here is what I have on the “lie-o-meter.” I have about 1/8th of a tank left and the gas light has not came on yet. I have to confirm it but I think this truck has a 26 gallon tank too.

25.4 MPG. And 505.9 miles traveled on this tank so far. This truck has 3.42 rear axle ratio.

I never got 500 miles on a tank with my Tahoe (5.3l, 26 gallon tank, 3.08 rear axle)

So far, I’m impressed. I know I’ll be in the turbo more towing so we will see how that goes. I expect 7.5-9.5 mpg like every other gasser I have had.

Thanks!

Jerem
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH

~Walt Disney~

blt2ski
specta wrote:
Love the tailgate.

Bet I could destroy it, the first time I set a pallet/3000+ lbs of wall block on it! I come close with a normal tailgate.

Nice truck none the less.
I'd like to know actual mpg for it too!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

specta
Explorer
Explorer
Love the tailgate.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Lwiddis wrote:
Grit, “refreshed” is Chevy’s way of saying they made a few changes to some models. LTs and above got bigger dash monitors for instance. As I understand it, below LTs got nada.

Work Truck (WT), Custom, Custom Trail Boss, LT, RST, LT Trail Boss, LTZ and High Country

And apparently the the 4 banger with the big spinny thing feeding it went from 348lb.ft to 420 lb.ft! That's mucho powero out of a small motor!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Nice! Congrats!
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
Great looking front end.
The stripes look fantastic.
Congrats on even getting a new truck the way things are 😉
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,