cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trailer Brakes

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2020 transit 250. I just installed a set of new trailer electric brakes on my 12x6 cargo trailer. Somewhere around 2K pounds. I got them off Amazon. The brand is Southwest Wheel 3,500 lbs. Trailer Axle Electric Brake Kit. It's a magnetic drum kit.

I also installed a Tekonsha 90195 P3 Electronic Brake Controller. I hooked the controller up to the CCP connector and grounded it between the seats at the factory ground. Got a brake signal off the connector at the brake pedal using the far left connector. Ran a wire all the way back to the new 7 pin connector.

It works but barely. You can feel the brakes a little bit if you move the lever when the controller is set on 14 (Max) with the boost set to 3 (high). If I pull the lever all the way the controller reads up to 13.5. It does apply power to the brakes (like it should) when I apply the vans brakes as well. I adjusted the brakes before I drove it the first time and then again after driving. I turned the adjuster until the wheel wouldn't turn and backed it off a few clicks just until it had a very little drag. Set on 14 with the boost on 3 it will barely kick in the brakes and will not lock up even in gravel. Everything is new.

UPDATE: Measured voltage at the trailer. 10.43 volts when the lever is pulled to max
11 REPLIES 11

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
I can't tow it. It would take 4 tires to tow it 40 miles. The tire is towed in at least an inch. I'd leave rubber all over the road.

UPDATE: Replaced the axle. The brakes, (now that they are seated in) work fine. I will not be cranking up the brake boaster mush more than a little assist from the trailer when driving and nowhere close to a lockup.

BackOfThePack
Explorer
Explorer
RAS43 wrote:
deltabravo wrote:
TNGW1500SE wrote:
After doing the procedure that they recommended, I noticed now that my drivers side wheel on the trailer is not in line with the trailer anymore. It's really towed out bad. Even my wife noticed it.

I can't see how applying the trailer brakes would bend a spindle.
If that was a true scenario, you'd hear about a lot more bent axles.

Get a Dexter axle.

Take the trailer to a commercial trailer repair shop and they should be able to straighten the axle and align both. I have had that done on 2 trailers.

X2
2004 555 CTD QC LB NV-5600
1990 35โ€™ Silver Streak

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
deltabravo wrote:
TNGW1500SE wrote:
After doing the procedure that they recommended, I noticed now that my drivers side wheel on the trailer is not in line with the trailer anymore. It's really towed out bad. Even my wife noticed it.

Get a Dexter axle.

Take the trailer to a commercial trailer repair shop and they should be able to straighten the axle and align both. I have had that done on 2 trailers.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
deltabravo wrote:
TNGW1500SE wrote:

Get a Dexter axle.

I don't know about your or the OP's area, but in much of the country, this time of year, potholes are pretty common. Hitting 1, with brake pressure fairly high can do a lot of damage. If a axle is loaded close to capacity can be a pretty big hammer.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
TNGW1500SE wrote:

Get a Dexter axle.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
BenK wrote:
If that is the case, then run a dedicated ground wire directly from the controller to the trailer brake magnet wire. Of course some connectors, but chose low impedance connectors.

The purpose of the ground wire on the trailer brake controller is just to provide a B- connection so the controller will power on.
The controller doesn't need to have its ground wire routed all the way back to the brake magnets. THe 7 pin plug on the van will have a trailer ground wire, as will the trailer end of the 7 way cord.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
UPDATE!
My trailer axle is now bent!

After doing the procedure that they recommended, I noticed now that my drivers side wheel on the trailer is not in line with the trailer anymore. It's really towed out bad. Even my wife noticed it. Now I will have to replace the axle. The wheel bearings are fine. I never hit anything during the "break the axle procedure" they recommended. It bent the spindle (that is part of the axle and not replaceable). It's a drop axle design. The instructions said not to use the vehicle brakes and use the trailer brakes to slow the van. That's what I did and now........... Well,,, that must not be the best idea!!! It must have been a cheap junk axle to begin with. On the bright side,,,, guess I should be glad it happened now where I'm home with the tools to replace it. Northern Tools sells replacements. Anybody know if they're any good????

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yup, you have to get the magnets seated so they make good contact. Glad you got it worked out!

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
The people who sold me the brakes want me to do this:
https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws.com/technical-information-sheets/axles-and-suspension/ccd-00019...

UPDATE. THAT FIXED IT.

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
Both brakes are grounded with 14 gauge wire ran to 7 pin. All connections are soldered and covered in heatshrink tubing.

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Guessing ground wire and the run to the trailer via sheetmetal to receiver, to shank, to ball, to trailer coupler, to trailer frame, to axle (via leaf spring mounting hardware), to the backing plate and finally to the magnet

You may have full voltage, but with that path, it will NOT carry much or enough current

If that is the case, then run a dedicated ground wire directly from the controller to the trailer brake magnet wire. Of course some connectors, but chose low impedance connectors.

Also, use a large gauge wire
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...