Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: portable grey waste disposal cart
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Small TT's

> portable grey waste disposal cart

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/20/22 08:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In some campgrounds, if it's a small amount, it may be allowed. In some campgrounds, if they have washing stations, you may be able to dump 2-6gallons.

If there is a dump station at the campground, that is your best best.

I debated a lot on the tote size. Both my fresh water and gray water tanks hold about 18 gallons, so after 4-5 days, I have to refill and dump. A 20 gallon tote would get me through 8-10 days without dumping, but it's a big tote to store when it's not in use and when traveling. And I also want to carry another 15-20 gallons of fresh water, so I have to store those containers too. On top of that, my trailer is a folding trailer, so I have to move things around when I stop and when I head out on the road.

Trying to deal with big heavy totes didn't excite me. So, I got six 2.5gal aquatainers for fresh water, and one 6gal tote for the gray water. I can easily lift them when full and they are small enough that I can fit them in the trailer or suv. I tested them out in Death Valley and it worked well. About 6 days in, I used the aquatainers to fill water at the fresh water hose, and used a hand truck to walk them back to the trailer - three trips refilled my fresh tank. I then filled the tote and walked it to the dump station three times to empty the gray tank. Took me about an hour total.

Next trip, I'm finetuning that by filling the tote in the morning and dumping it on my way out to sightsee every 2 or 3 days. As the dump station is most always on the way out of the campground, this makes it more convenient and I'll spend less time in the long run.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

lane hog

Tucson, AZ & NW Chicago Burbs, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/21/22 06:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Carrying 28-35 lbs in a 5 gallon bucket sure beats pulling a 210 pound 20 gallon tote.

I've even used them for [gag] black water [/gag] in an emergency.

Always use the lid...

• 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

GrandpaKip

Flat Rock

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/22/22 08:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pulling a 2 or 4 wheel tote is lots easier than carrying a bucket. You don’t have to fill the tote to the top, y’know.

Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

eastbaygal123

Concord, CA

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/22 09:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just read where CA state parks are going to charge $10-20 by credit card for dump use which complicates frequent trips to dump. Now looking for a container we can attach to the back of the trailer with a handle I can pull it with. Does anyone know if the regular sewer hose will latch on to most openings in a tote, and are the connectors you buy universal? Sites don't say opening size for drainage opening.

lane hog

Tucson, AZ & NW Chicago Burbs, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/22/22 02:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yup. CA State Parks is adding a new $10 fee for dump station users. Won't apply to sites with full hookups.

Locking down the dump stations will simply encourage people to dump their grey water on the ground...

Perhaps with luck, those "self pay" dump stations will become as unreliable as the pay ones at Flying-J, which routinely remain stuck open for free use...

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/22 03:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

do yourself a favor and make sure you get a 4 wheel cart

eastbaygal123

Concord, CA

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/22 09:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

philh wrote:

do yourself a favor and make sure you get a 4 wheel cart

Thanks! Didn't think about that....

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/22 09:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

eastbaygal123 wrote:

Thank you,ToedToes. I was just wondering about that. I would never dump grey water on the ground, or in a pit toilet. I might be better off getting one of those simple containers that have 2 wheels and a handle and just wheeling it to the dump site.

Dump site? Many State and Forest Service campgrounds around here have no such facility, and pouring your waste water into the vault toilets is against the rules.
That is why the tote that I bought lived under the work bench out in the shop for many years, until I sold it for $15 in a garage sale! When the nearest dump station is 5 to 50 miles away, that tote was useless.
Good luck.

CM1, USN (RET)
2010 North Trail 28BHS TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
Toy: '05 Wrangler Unlimited
Towing: 1999 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, Auto, 4X4
Other toys: 2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

eastbaygal123

Concord, CA

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/22 10:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess we're fortunate here in California as most state and federal campgrounds do have dump stations. Makes me rethink whining about having to pay a fee!

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/25/22 12:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many of the federal forests campgrounds where I camp liesurely don't have dump sites - for those I take my clipper with tanks big enough to last 14-16 days and then dump at home.

For sightseeing trips, I use the trailer. So far, I haven't had a problem. National parks have dump stations, and as said above, I can just dump the tote on my way to see the sights. Otherwise, I just plan on an overnight at an RV park every 4-6 days so I can dump and refill onsite.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Small TT's

> portable grey waste disposal cart
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.