cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Aluminum or Plastic aux fuel tank

speediq99
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have been shopping for an aux in bed fuel tank for a RAM 3500 long bed.

I am down to an aluminum combo tank/toolbox 60 gallon gravity filled or a Titan plastic (or whatever material they use) 50 gallons top fill/pump filled.

Any reason to pick one over the other?

MC
14 REPLIES 14

Mayor30
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 40 gallon aluminum tank in my bed. No issues.

jodeb720
Explorer
Explorer
It went with a Titan replacement tank on my ford diesel f350. I went from a 35 gallon to a 55 gallon.

It took me about 4 hours - and 2 hours of that was trying ot figure out how to remove the quick connect fittings on the old tank and waiting on a return call from titan.

I eventually did a youtube search, figured it out and was on my way.

To their credit, Titan called back in 90 minutes (I just happened to call during the lunch of the tech support guy).

I looked at the in tank versus the replacement and I just don't have the space in my shortbed for a in tank so went with the Titan.

I choose Titan over S&B because at the time S&B had a problem with tanks leaking after they were installed and two local dealers refused to sell them.

speediq99
Explorer II
Explorer II
That is a really nice choice. I just wanted to get something to keep under a cover since I usually carry other stuff on the bed. I had to give up bed space for that. It is all about tradeoffs ๐Ÿ™‚

MC

S Davis wrote:
I just got a ATI-TTR51, I wanted to take up as little space as possible. It is bolted in but not hooked up yet. It takes about 9.5โ€ of bed length but is still 51 gallons.

ATI TTR51

S_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
I just got a ATI-TTR51, I wanted to take up as little space as possible. It is bolted in but not hooked up yet. It takes about 9.5โ€ of bed length but is still 51 gallons.

ATI TTR51

speediq99
Explorer II
Explorer II
Any negatives on a Titan Trekker top fill with a pump?

Any issues with the quality of RDS aluminum? It seems simpler to install.

On the Titan, it is my understanding that you fill the main tank 5g at a time and that can take 20-30min. That could mean filling two tanks at the pump. Any work around?

I am leaning towards the Titan because it gives me more bed space and I can carry two bikes upright on my bed. I am just concerned about the process of filing the main tank.

MC

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Itโ€™s personal presence I suppose. My preference would be an aluminum tank. Or steel since it will be protected from the elements and cost less than the other options.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
eHoefler wrote:
I use a pump to transfer system, the capless fuel tank can leak with the gravity fill.

Not anymore than a factory system with a cap.
Either the inline check valve in a gravity system is working or it leaks. Nothing to do with the OE system.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Looks like a quality product. Enduraplas 25-gal. Poly Diesel Tanks $951.99

Personally I want to keep my bed height 30" front to back HighwayProducts Tool Box and may go with the TITAN 55 replacement tank for around $1,300
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I have a Enduraplas 25 gallon aux. tank. Very simple solution

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
prichardson wrote:
For an in bed tank. my preference is aluminum.
+1

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
wa8yxm wrote:
I would agree with AL over Plastic as well however caution.

Heaven forbid there is an accident and fire... Liability attorneys love aux fuel tanks. .

We are talking Diesel not Gas.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would agree with AL over Plastic as well however caution.

Heaven forbid there is an accident and fire... Liability attorneys love aux fuel tanks. .
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer
For an in bed tank. my preference is aluminum.

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use a pump to transfer system, the capless fuel tank can leak with the gravity fill.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore