cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Jackery 500 versus my RV battery

jornvango
Explorer II
Explorer II
My Casita trailer has one Duracell AGM group 27 battery with 92 amp hour capacity.
If I can use about 40% before needing to charge it, that's about 40 amp hours I can use.
I paid about $200 including tax.

Since I want to safely charge my laptop (90W 110V charger), I'm debating adding a Jackery 500. I like how it's portable so I can take it with me to use on the road in the car, away from the RV.
The Jackery 500 has 500 watt hours capacity. At 110V usage for my laptop charger, that 500 watt hours converts to 4.5 amp hours. Since it's lithium, that's 100% usable.
The Jackery 500 costs about $600 including tax.

Watt-hours = Amp-hours * Volts

Amp-hours = Watt-hours / Volts

Is the above correct? Does my $200 RV AGM battery give me 40 amp hours (or 4,400 watt hours at 110V) versus only 4.5 amp hours for the $600 Jackery?

If that's the case, I'm better off adding an inverter in my RV to charge the laptop. I can't believe the above is correct since the Jackery 500 would be too pricey for that small amount of power compared to a regular AGM battery...

I have a suspicion that my math is way off. :h

Thanks,!
20 REPLIES 20

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
โ€œโ€ฆthe main reason we got one was to blow up the kayak down by the water โ€

And then you carry the Jackery back to RV.

โ€œ and these little solar gensโ€ฆโ€

โ€œSolarโ€โ€ฆprovided you buy their way overpriced solar panels with proprietary plugs

No,they come with the charger and connectors..My Bluetti eb70. connects to my Rich solar $89 rigid roof panel via either Anderson or MC4 and comes with a 200 watt charger..
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Jackery 100 watt solar panel only $300!

https://www.amazon.com/Jackery-SolarSaga-Portable-Explorer-Foldable/dp/B07Q71LX84/ref=asc_df_B07Q71LX84?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=80333148689242&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583932703123527&th=1
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08LP9Q91V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Currently unavailable, John.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œโ€ฆthe main reason we got one was to blow up the kayak down by the water โ€

And then you carry the Jackery back to RV.

โ€œ and these little solar gensโ€ฆโ€

โ€œSolarโ€โ€ฆprovided you buy their way overpriced solar panels with proprietary plugs

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Ya,we live 100 miles from the closest Walmart or Costco and these little solar gens come in handy to run a AC/DC fridge/freezer and get stuff home frozen or refrigerated..They do have there place IMHO

Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

Old_Days
Explorer II
Explorer II
Everything has a use the main reason we got one was to blow up the kayak down by the water instead of by the truck. I also use it to charge the drill battery's in the front storage bay, also by the campfire to charge phones instead of leaving them inside the camper. If for some reason I would need more power I would start the generator. With 370 watts of solar we haven't used the generator in 3 years and we never have full hook ups.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
imo, The Jackery and its ilk are flummery of the worst sort.
Hey, if it means the guy next to me doesn't have to run a generator to watch TV, that's fine.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just get one of these and wire it in: link

Mod Edit: Fixed posted URL to clickable link to avoid skewing the forum width.

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
These solar generators do get the bad wrap as expensive toys when some people do not understand them..Buying only when on super sales,there not that bad for what you get...

The Bluetti EB70(714WH) has been on sale at $479 and for that you get a built in MPPT controller/BMS/lifepo4 cylindrical cells just like Battleborn/10 amp cig lighter socket/various 12v sockets/built in cell phone wireless charger/700 watt pure sine wave inverter and a lantern/flashlight and charging input to 200 watts with a 200 watt charger and some mc-4 connectors in a zipper bag at 55.7 amp hours..

Compare that to a 50ah lifepo4 battery and all the accessories,it isn't that bad and for those like me with an older RV,there pretty handy for the RV and in the house when the power goes out.
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08LP9Q91V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
-jbh-

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
imo, The Jackery and it's ilk are flummery of the worst sort.

You are lightyears ahead by using a stand alone inverter instead of the extremely expensive per watt-hour Jackery.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
There might be a good reason for an RVer to buy a Jackery but those reasons are few and far between IMO. Horrendous prices.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
jjrbus wrote:
"solar generator" They are not solar, they generate nothing. If I put a solar panel and a couple outlets on my mower is it a solar generator?
Solar Generator is a brilliant marketing term. The ones I've seen are solar, with portable panels. Inside the box is a lithium battery and an inverter. Since most people don't understand solar/controller/battery/inverter, but they do understand 'generator', they're pretty neat devices - albeit expensive.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Jackery 1000 and there great until they break and they won't fix it..A 100ah lifepo4 battery for around $300 plus is a much better investment...I have a few solar generators and they have there place but id buy a Bluetti before I would A jackery simply because of support..Bluetti took care of my issues immediately and using lifepo4 in some units is a bonus plus faster charging ..My Jackery 1000 is a paper weight and they won't answer my emails....
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04