cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator box

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
I am ready to put a box on my new to me 2002 Roadtrek for a Honda 2000 generator. I have used the Honda on RV's for years and am happy with them. I also have installed a LG 9500 inverter AC which runs very well with the Honda 2000.

I have also built several box's for Hondas on my RV's over the years including 2 that were sound box's.

The box's look like box's on the rear. Has anyone seen anything creative, artsy or neat looking, other than a diamond plate box on the rear?? I have looked all over the net and see nothing.

22 REPLIES 22

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
This project has been so challenging that some days I think about trading my tools on market place for a set of golf clubs! One step forward and 2 back. I have been lackadaisical about it but now need to finish in 2 weeks for a trip.

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
Honda and a couple other Japan manufactures produce box's with out fans. I would like to see how their exhaust is set up as they do it in a couple inches and the best I can do is 8 inches.

https://www-honda-co-jp.translate.goog/generator/option/silentbox/?_x_tr_sl=ja&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=...

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
jjrbus,

My brother, without a box, managed to melt the inverter in his Chinese generator. He did NOT allow it to run to cool down.

I suggest a fan to suck hot air out, not to mention exhaust products.

My own first box had a lid and side that could double as a ramp. If I needed to run generator the lid could be removed. I made up loose pin hinges for it.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
The design change from engineering has taken up a lot of time. I am back on track now and at the point of installing the composit sound deadener. This is a slow process, the adhesives I am using have a 24 hour cure time. So set the anchors 10 minutes, wait 24 hours add the plywood to the box, wait 24 hours add the composit foam. Then move on to the next side.

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
Been tinkering with my baffle box, the concept is solid and it works well. When testing with ECO off and 1500 watt load I notice the box gets hot. The genny will be running in ECO with low loads 99% of the time and I could open the box door to vent when drawing large load.

But I think I will change the design so almost none of the heat can affect operation so back to cardboard mock ups and thinking.

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
Nice! When I started this I looked into buying aluminum sheet and doing my own. I knew I could not do the door and stopped by a fab shop, good shop and fair priced, they wanted $150 for just the door. Now I find it is going to be very challenging to use the sound proofing around the door.

gtnsmlr
Explorer
Explorer

Made a secure and weathertight enclosure. Borrowed a welder, paid $135.00 to have the front and top made and another 150 bucks for angle and sheet metal.
The older we get, the faster we go

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
Different ways to look at it. I do not play golf or fish, I do enjoy puttering in the garage. I know people who will spend much more on a golf club as I will have in this project. So no Big Bertha golf club, no boat, I am saving a fortune LOL

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
jjrbus wrote:
I am doing fairly well staying in budget. $170 for a new box to mod, $40 for a used box to chop up for bits and pieces. $170 for Composite sound deadening foam. $50 for misc. Definitely going to go past the $400 goal I set for myself.

If I pay myself $1 hour will easily top $1000 LOL

Don't get me wrong I applaud you for doing it yourself and taking the savings. Many have the skills to do a project themselves and save.
However everyone's time has a value. To accurately figure the final value. Labor cost should be included in the final figure.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
I am doing fairly well staying in budget. $170 for a new box to mod, $40 for a used box to chop up for bits and pieces. $170 for Composite sound deadening foam. $50 for misc. Definitely going to go past the $400 goal I set for myself.

If I pay myself $1 hour will easily top $1000 LOL

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
jjrbus wrote:
Boscorelli wrote:
It's a niche market. You won't find many choices. What you want is custom work and it will be pricey.

Not only are they grossly over priced, some are horrible designs! My RV is my hobby I will design and build my own, it will be a sound deadening box and should cost between $300 to $400 in material.

I have a custom box for my Robin Subaru 4300is genset.
I paid $1000.00 or so for it years ago. It is a fantastic box and a fantastic design complete with 12 volt ventilation fan.
However it was very expensive and very little market for such a high priced box.

Your idea to build your own is really the only way to go.
Considering you have a $300-$400 material budget your box will also be in the $1000.00 range when complete.
Hard to justify a $1000.00 box when you can buy lots of gensets for $1000.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

TheGatherer
Explorer
Explorer
These are some quick photos of my Generator Box.. This is the third TT it's been on and there have been some changes. The first TT I had a Boily 3600 generator and built the box for that, which is the door on the rear (TT) side of the box.. the controls and pull start for that unit where on the 'side'... and I could pipe the exhaust down and out.
Now I have a Honda eu3000is which fit the box, but does not have an exhaust pipe so I had to vent to a compartment you can kind of see in the photo. I have a Honda 2000 that I'd like to use, I need to check if it will handle the microwave. Most of our camping is in the winter or where power is available in the summer... I can't seem to post the photos..

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
jjrbus wrote:
I am disappointed, thought I might get a bit of input. Best I can come up with is paint the box the same color as the RV so it does not look so industrial.

Disappointed because no one had any artsy suggestions for building a generator enclosure?

Lol
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
Boscorelli wrote:
It's a niche market. You won't find many choices. What you want is custom work and it will be pricey.

Not only are they grossly over priced, some are horrible designs! My RV is my hobby I will design and build my own, it will be a sound deadening box and should cost between $300 to $400 in material.