cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trade in values

d1h
Nomad II
Nomad II
Are most RV dealers giving top dollar for trade ins right now?
15 REPLIES 15

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Chum lee wrote:
d1h wrote:

Short answer, NO. They NEVER do. Any RV dealer currently in business attempts to buy their new/used stock at the ABSOLUTE MINIMUM PRICE AND SELL/TRADE IT FOR THE MAXIMUM PRICE. This is how they pay their bills and stay in business.

Chum lee

Correct, Chum!

However, "Used Stock" = *NOT* !!

What you didn't say, with the exception of exceptional clean, low-miles, high-end MHs.....most trade-ins go to RV auction/s - rather than the dealer's lot (the dealers want to sell you a *NEW* RV!).

Used RVs take up valuable space - and may draw customers away from the real money-makers!!....:W

~

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
d1h wrote:

You're joking, right ??

On *any* trade in.....as the supposed "value" of your trade in goes UP - the price of what you're buying does also!...:S

You're negotiating against yourself !!...:S

But, hey if you're willing to believe a salesperson's dog and pony sales pitch......say Hi to P.T. Barnam's kin (even though Barnam wasn't the guy who "coined" the phrase, "There's a sucker born every minute"!!

Rotsa ruck !!...:R

~

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
d1h wrote:

Short answer, NO. They NEVER do. Any RV dealer currently in business attempts to buy their new/used stock at the ABSOLUTE MINIMUM PRICE AND SELL/TRADE IT FOR THE MAXIMUM PRICE. This is how they pay their bills and stay in business.

Chum lee

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Horsedoc wrote:
It is sorta like, "Pay more and we can allow you a higher value on what we take as your trade in". That said if what you have is a nice rig and well cared for and they figure it will sell quickly then their offer will go higher.
I worked at a retirement job for a few auto dealerships around town here - what they do and how they figured things was amazing but always seemed they made money on the car they sold you and the car you sold them.

They don't look a the rigs when making a trade in offer.

Traded one in last year and they made the trade in offer sight unseen.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Horsedoc wrote:
It is sorta like, "Pay more and we can allow you a higher value on what we take as your trade in". That said if what you have is a nice rig and well cared for and they figure it will sell quickly then their offer will go higher.
I worked at a retirement job for a few auto dealerships around town here - what they do and how they figured things was amazing but always seemed they made money on the car they sold you and the car you sold them.

Right. A dealership (like any business) is in it for profit. They only want your RV if they can make money on it. A buyer in a private sale is not buying for profit, they're buying to use it. The motive is different and thus so is the value. A dealership always offers less to increase margin. If they show you more it's because you will pay more on what you are buying.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
bgum wrote:
No way. Buy low sell high is their moto.

As is the motto of ANY retail business, am I right?
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

dryfly
Explorer
Explorer
d1h wrote:

Yes, dealers are giving top dollar for your used RV right now. And yes, they will then sell you a new RV for top dollar.

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, they will offer you top trade in dollars for your use RV. If it turns out you're not buying an overpriced new RV from them, that value will quickly turn into an amount lower than an ant doing the limbo.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
We own a 2008 Lance TC ... bought it new. It sits under covered storage when not in use. We do general maintenance on it at least once a year, and infrequent repairs when needed. We expect we'll never buy another camper... we like the TC lifstyle when camping, and if we sold it, we'd just buy another one just like it for a lot more money. Can't justify that, even if some tech stuff has improved, but not enough to offset the cost of new camper. That would feel too much like burning money. If we like some new thing enough, we can always buy it and install it.

Up until last year, we spent about half the year on the road. Getting ready to take off again soon ...
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
My TT is in short supply. Right now I can get real close to what I paid for it in 2019. Problem is to replace it I have to pay through the you know what for something comparable. Even shorter versions of mine are about $9K more than what I paid. I paid around $34K for my TT in 2019. It's now (2022) listed on a couple dealer sites at $52,995 with an MSRP of $63K. Sorry but thats a total rip off.

It's going to depend on what you have and what you want.

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
If fuel stays high for a while longer you might get a good deal but it will be more related to the discount off the new coach rolled into what they call your trade-in value. If fuel keeps coming down like it has already started to do you will get your normal undervalued trade-in. You just have to choose the convenience of a trade vs. selling your unit and then buying the newer one (or being a 2 RV household for some amount of time).

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
No way. Buy low sell high is their moto.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
I've never known an RV dealer to give top dollar over private sale.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS