cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

First trip- 2013 Winnebago Vista 35B 18,500 miles

jlrmfc21
Explorer
Explorer
Just got back from our first trip with our 2013 Vista 35b. No issues! Best news of al!:)
Went only 50 miles from the house to Park City Utah to be close and get familiar with the coach.
A few thoughts:
1. Drove well, but the V10 likes to rev. Normal from what Iโ€™ve read! ran great on flat highway, but was pushing 3500 rpms and 45 mph going up I80 from SLC to Park city! Iโ€™ve had a suburban with an 8.1 and it doesnโ€™t rev near as much. I do plan on flat towing a 2018 jeep rubicon 4 door. Didnโ€™t on this trip. Has me a little concerned but seems that the Vista will do it fine on flat roads, but just slow up steep inclines. Yes???

2. Love the bath and a half. But I think I need another sewer hose. Will make it easier when emptying.

3. Tons of storage! Any recommendations on what folks carry because we still have so many empty cabinets and storage areas.

4. Leveling a motor home. Any tricks or suggestions ? A little different than a travel trailer as I donโ€™t have an easy front end jack to level it. Get it as level as possible then auto level? I just worry about not being level enough then the auto level system lifts the tires off the ground.

5. Towing a jeep? What exactly do I need? I have a decent idea. But anyone that does it, if you have a recommendations, please share!

6. What gray/black tank treatments do you use?

7. Generator? Was curious about turning it on in order to go ahead and unhook from shore power, but not have a lapse in power.

8. Any other tricks of the class A life?!? Iโ€™d love to hear!

Thanks again for all the advice and we are looking forward to many more trips!
10 REPLIES 10

jlrmfc21
Explorer
Explorer
Yankee Clipper wrote:
Hi, glad your trip went well!
Some thoughts:
1. Yes, the V-10 engine will rev to 4200 RPM at the first sight of a hill. I used a 3rd part up-chip programmer (5-Star Tuning) and engage Tow/Haul to control RPM surge.
2. Good suggestions above. Keep in mind that storage volume does not equal limitless carrying capacity. My assorted stuff in the basement adds up weight in a hurry.
4. I carry two 6X6 blocks about 2 feet long. Relatively light and strong enough to handle the pressure of the leveling jacks on uneven sites.
5. A lot goes into towing: a) toad must be approved for 4-down flat towing and weigh in under 5000#; b) tow plate for the vehicle; c) tow bar; d) brake assist; e) safety cables or chains; f) put carabines on the hitch to facilitate hooking up the safety cables; g) tire pressure monitoring system for all ten tires.
6. Blue gunk sold by WalMart or CW...the watery stuff isn't useful.
7. Turn off A/C while shift power, otherwise it's hard on the ATS and compressors.
8. check to see whether the tires have been changed, as OEM tires are over-age. When we bought our rig, the Denver mattress torture device hit the dumpster, and we bought a 12" hybrid RV queen mattress from Mayfair.

HTH, Jack

Thanks again!!! Iโ€™m going to check out the mattress!

jlrmfc21
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
As far as the performance. Donโ€™t hold back! Let it rev, 4500rpm isnt out of the question. Going up I70 out of Denver has me at 45 mph in 2nd gear at 4500rpm towing an Explorer with 2 bikes on the back. This was before the 5 star tune, and yes the 5 star time makes a huge difference in towing performance.

As for leveling, as long as the ground is somewhat level just level the coach manually with the leveling system. If it needs to lift a tire off the ground, then raise it past that point and put whatever amount of boards are needed under the tire. Then retract all jacks and relelvel.

On the storage, donโ€™t worry. Eventually you wil fill everything and youโ€™ll be trying to figure out what isnโ€™t needed.

On the generator and having it running when disconnecting oe connecting. Iโ€™ve heard itโ€™s bad to do it under load. Supposedly itโ€™s bad for the contacts in the auto transfer switch. At the very least make sure any heavy loads are turned off.

Thatโ€™s what I thought about the 6.8! And thanks for the advice on leveling! Never even thought about just lifting up higher and putting a board under the tire!

Thanks!

jlrmfc21
Explorer
Explorer
Janss wrote:
Reading your subject line, I thought your first trip was 18,500 miles long! Ha ha! Then I was surprised that from Midlothian VA to Park City UT was only 50 miles ๐Ÿ™‚

1. I dread the day when I may purchase a newer motorhome with a Ford engine. Our Chevy 8.1 purrs like a kitten. But still slows down alot going up an incline. I don't worry about it. Just watch the RPMs and change gears as needed.

2. Sewer hose...You mean another one for additional length? Or a better one? Get the Rhino. It's a better one and they make extension lengths that just hook on to the main hose.

3. Wish I had tons of unused storage! Hoses and extra hoses (garden, fresh-water, sewer), chairs, small stepladder, wood blocks, tools, various bottles (antifreeze, oil, ant spray, WD-40, sometimes gallons of drinking water). Plus some things mentioned above. This is stuff in the outside storage compartments.

4. If the ground is too unlevel for the automatic leveling to work, first I put wood blocks under front or rear tires for support. Then use the auto leveling. If I can't make it work, I just won't park there.

6. If you use enough flush water, you don't need any treatments (as long as seals and vents are working properly). Sometimes I use Happy Camper or Unique Digest-It. Both are natural enzymes.

7. In theory I think that should work. But once I got a burnt surge protector when I turned on the generator while being plugged in. So I'll leave it to others to comment.

Excellent recommendations!

jlrmfc21
Explorer
Explorer
mfinnerty wrote:
Things we take along in storage: air pump for the tires, misc tools accumulated over the years, spare parts and fluids, leveling blocks, step to reach first step when needed, wash tub rags and towels for cleaning grill, BBQ grill and misc cooking tools, small outside table, four camp chairs, supplies for our two dogs, four foot step ladder, 2-25' and 5-10' water hoses and misc connectors including pressure regulators, at least 50' of different length sewer hoses and connectors, one 50' and 2-20' 30 amp electric cables and misc dog bone connectors (haven't gotten around to getting a 50 amp cable for our new coach, brooms for outside, brush for washing front of the coach on the road, and finally a bug brush for the windshield. This is just the outside stuff most accumulated over 46 years of RVing.

Great advice and recommendations! Thanks!

Yankee_Clipper
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, glad your trip went well!
Some thoughts:
1. Yes, the V-10 engine will rev to 4200 RPM at the first sight of a hill. I used a 3rd part up-chip programmer (5-Star Tuning) and engage Tow/Haul to control RPM surge.
2. Good suggestions above. Keep in mind that storage volume does not equal limitless carrying capacity. My assorted stuff in the basement adds up weight in a hurry.
4. I carry two 6X6 blocks about 2 feet long. Relatively light and strong enough to handle the pressure of the leveling jacks on uneven sites.
5. A lot goes into towing: a) toad must be approved for 4-down flat towing and weigh in under 5000#; b) tow plate for the vehicle; c) tow bar; d) brake assist; e) safety cables or chains; f) put carabines on the hitch to facilitate hooking up the safety cables; g) tire pressure monitoring system for all ten tires.
6. Blue gunk sold by WalMart or CW...the watery stuff isn't useful.
7. Turn off A/C while shift power, otherwise it's hard on the ATS and compressors.
8. check to see whether the tires have been changed, as OEM tires are over-age. When we bought our rig, the Denver mattress torture device hit the dumpster, and we bought a 12" hybrid RV queen mattress from Mayfair.

HTH, Jack
Yankee Clipper
2014 Winnebago Sightseer 33C on Ford F53 6.8l V10
2014 Honda CRV 4 down toad/Roadmaster Falcon2 with EvenBrake
TireMinder TPMS,Tiger, the Little Big Man minidachshund,
Rosey the minidachshund resident Princess-in-Chief

Land_Yachters
Explorer
Explorer
Thoughts on items I have experience with;

4-Learned to use level on phone (after calibration). Once you get used to it, you have a good idea what you will need to get the coach close enough to level to use the levelers. We use leveling blocks, easy cheap.

5-we pull a Jeep GC. Blue Ox towbar/baseplate, Air Force One braking system. No problems in 15,000 miles. Not cheap.

6-Happy Camper. Only think I have ever used.

Enjoy!
Land Yachters
Griff, Ali and Coco
Philadelphia, PA
2018 Tiffin 33AA
2018 Grand Cherokee

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
As far as the performance. Donโ€™t hold back! Let it rev, 4500rpm isnt out of the question. Going up I70 out of Denver has me at 45 mph in 2nd gear at 4500rpm towing an Explorer with 2 bikes on the back. This was before the 5 star tune, and yes the 5 star time makes a huge difference in towing performance.

As for leveling, as long as the ground is somewhat level just level the coach manually with the leveling system. If it needs to lift a tire off the ground, then raise it past that point and put whatever amount of boards are needed under the tire. Then retract all jacks and relelvel.

On the storage, donโ€™t worry. Eventually you wil fill everything and youโ€™ll be trying to figure out what isnโ€™t needed.

On the generator and having it running when disconnecting oe connecting. Iโ€™ve heard itโ€™s bad to do it under load. Supposedly itโ€™s bad for the contacts in the auto transfer switch. At the very least make sure any heavy loads are turned off.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
Reading your subject line, I thought your first trip was 18,500 miles long! Ha ha! Then I was surprised that from Midlothian VA to Park City UT was only 50 miles ๐Ÿ™‚

1. I dread the day when I may purchase a newer motorhome with a Ford engine. Our Chevy 8.1 purrs like a kitten. But still slows down alot going up an incline. I don't worry about it. Just watch the RPMs and change gears as needed.

2. Sewer hose...You mean another one for additional length? Or a better one? Get the Rhino. It's a better one and they make extension lengths that just hook on to the main hose.

3. Wish I had tons of unused storage! Hoses and extra hoses (garden, fresh-water, sewer), chairs, small stepladder, wood blocks, tools, various bottles (antifreeze, oil, ant spray, WD-40, sometimes gallons of drinking water). Plus some things mentioned above. This is stuff in the outside storage compartments.

4. If the ground is too unlevel for the automatic leveling to work, first I put wood blocks under front or rear tires for support. Then use the auto leveling. If I can't make it work, I just won't park there.

6. If you use enough flush water, you don't need any treatments (as long as seals and vents are working properly). Sometimes I use Happy Camper or Unique Digest-It. Both are natural enzymes.

7. In theory I think that should work. But once I got a burnt surge protector when I turned on the generator while being plugged in. So I'll leave it to others to comment.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

mfinnerty
Explorer
Explorer
Things we take along in storage: air pump for the tires, misc tools accumulated over the years, spare parts and fluids, leveling blocks, step to reach first step when needed, wash tub rags and towels for cleaning grill, BBQ grill and misc cooking tools, small outside table, four camp chairs, supplies for our two dogs, four foot step ladder, 2-25' and 5-10' water hoses and misc connectors including pressure regulators, at least 50' of different length sewer hoses and connectors, one 50' and 2-20' 30 amp electric cables and misc dog bone connectors (haven't gotten around to getting a 50 amp cable for our new coach, brooms for outside, brush for washing front of the coach on the road, and finally a bug brush for the windshield. This is just the outside stuff most accumulated over 46 years of RVing.
Mike & Linda Finnerty with Finn & Rosco (Golden mix brothers)

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œ6. What gray/black tank treatments do you use?โ€
None in grey tank and usually none in blackโ€ฆplenty of water when dumping.

โ€œ7. Generator? Was curious about turning it on in order to go ahead and unhook from shore power, but not have a lapse in power.โ€
What harm would a lapse cause?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad