cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

25% grade? Amicalola Falls GA

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
I’m look at a reservation at Amicalola Falls SP in GA. They have warnings in the reservation site about it being a 25% grade going up to the campground.
I’m trying to think of comparisons in N GA or N AL that might be similar, and trying to picture just how steep that is.
We’ve been to most of the campgrounds up that way, and never had any issues.

Anyone done this. Is it that bad?
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up
5 REPLIES 5

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks guys, I’ll give it a shot. TT is about 7500lbs loaded, and the truck has is a Chevy with a 6.0, and 3.73 gears.
It’ll be a good challenge for the ol truck.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
I have a one-block hill near home that is probably 25%, maybe a little more. I tried it once towing my fifth wheel, and I had a traction problem with rear wheels slipping. My total weight is 20,000 lbs., with (a guess) 5,000 lbs. on the rear wheels, which would make 25% on rear wheels. To have enough traction for that grade I think that I need to add 500 or 1,000 lbs. to the bed. (That would be no problem for a F350.) Anyway, to avoid slippage going uphill on a 25% grade, I think it would be a good idea to have the rear wheels carry 30% or more of the combined weight.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
wowens79 wrote:
I’m look at a reservation at Amicalola Falls SP in GA. They have warnings in the reservation site about it being a 25% grade going up to the campground.
I’m trying to think of comparisons in N GA or N AL that might be similar, and trying to picture just how steep that is.
We’ve been to most of the campgrounds up that way, and never had any issues.

Anyone done this. Is it that bad?

Depends on how much weight you are towing and the power your tow vehicle has and how long is the 25% grade is?

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Based on the video in the link, it's pretty straight and not very long. Start in a low gear and keep the RPM up going into it and should be doable.

On the way back down, start in low gear and keep the speed down.

It's only a mile of really steep stuff.

If you have 4x4 and can release the front axle hubs, you could do 2wd Low Range and just slowly chug up the hill.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
found this.

and more if you google "Amicalola Falls SP 25% grade"..
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle