Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ford V10 Triton

udidwht
Explorer
Explorer
Which year/s to avoid?
1994 Fleetwood Southwind Storm
P-30 chassis 7.4L 454 TBI 58,301 miles and counting....(as of 06/08/19)
VIN# 1GBJP37N4R3314754
Flight System Generator man 360 (PM me)
14 REPLIES 14

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
What Lumpty said is spot on. I have an 03 V10 and it has the full length spark plugs. Anything before that has the shorty plugs.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

howdy35
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a 1999 V10 in 03 and drove to Alaska and back 11,500 miles pulling a Honda Accord. Several trips to Iowa and Florida without any problems from the V10. I think they are a solid unit and would not be afraid to own an older one even now.

I might also say that I used Amsoil full synthetic and never changed oil on my Alaska trip until I returned. Then I changed every 10,000 after that. I was very happy with that old V10.

Good luck on your choice and Happy Travels

Arnold
1999 National Tradewinds 7370
2014 Honda CR-V--Toad
Fulltime

howdy35
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a 1999 V10 in 03 and drove to Alaska and back 11,500 miles pulling a Honda Accord. Several trips to Iowa and Florida without any problems from the V10. I think they are a solid unit and would not be afraid to own an older one even now.

I might also say that I used Amsoil full synthetic and never changed oil on my Alaska trip until I returned. Then I changed every 10,000 after that. I was very happy with that old V10.

Good luck on your choice and Happy Travels

Arnold
1999 National Tradewinds 7370
2014 Honda CR-V--Toad
Fulltime

Lumpty
Explorer
Explorer
The V10 got the 2v โ€œPIโ€ heads in โ€˜03, which raised HP to 310 in the A chassis and 305 in E-Series cutaways. Those heads also increased the spark plug hole thread count. BTW, consensus is 28 ft-lbs dry cold torque is a set and forget amount of twist when replacing the plugs.

In the โ€˜05 model year is when the 5R110 was introduced. Given the incomplete chassis inventories, the safe year for those would be โ€˜06.

The 3v heads I believe ended up in the Class A chassis starting in โ€˜09. Again, the safe year looking for that would be 2010. The early years of those heads had some issues with plugs breaking on removal. More recently, the 6R140 trans was added (guessing 2017-18?).
Rob

Too Many Toys.
- '11 E450 Sunseeker 2300
- '16 F150 Supercrew 5.0/FX4
- '09 C6 Z51
- '15 VW Golf Sportwagen daily driver
- '86 Civic and '87 CRX race cars

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bumpyroad wrote:
My Chieftain was on the original v 10 and had no problem with spark plugs blowing out, etc. the problem I had was the motor sucking in ground water due to air pickup location and got a "snorkle" from Ford for that. talked to a fella at a campground who had a newer model and was sort of gloating about that until we compared gas mileage and his smirk disappeared.
bumpy

Same here... I had a first year ( 1999) V-10 and it gave us great service in our 36' Pace Arrow Vision. Well over 130,000 miles when I sold it without any issues other than the serpentine belt idler pully bearing and the starter relay failed... but both of those were in the first couple of years and covered by warranty. I did change the air intake as Bumpy mentioned. I wish my other vehicles had such reliable engines !
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
FloridaRosebud wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
99-02/03. The cylinder head was redesigned in late 02. But the heads were completely redesigned in 07 or 08 and then the 5 speed auto was added at the same time. The HP was also increased to 362.

So I would look for an 08 and up. Easiest way to tell is if the dash has (D) 3,2,1.

FYI...I have a 2006 National with a 2005 F53 chassis, and my tranny is the 5 speed.

Al

Yes, I wasnโ€™t sure on the year, but figured it was safe saying that year. Especially considering MHโ€™s are built on a year old chassis sometimes.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

FloridaRosebud
Explorer
Explorer
wildmanbaker wrote:
What Richard said about the plugs.
AL, it depends on what time of the year you MH was made. It could have been that Ford up-dated the drive train early.

Agreed. I just wanted to point out Ford started transitioning the transmission a bit earlier. My MH was built in mid-2006 and delivered September, 2006.

Al

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
What Richard said about the plugs.
AL, it depends on what time of the year you MH was made. It could have been that Ford up-dated the drive train early.
Wildmanbaker

FloridaRosebud
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
99-02/03. The cylinder head was redesigned in late 02. But the heads were completely redesigned in 07 or 08 and then the 5 speed auto was added at the same time. The HP was also increased to 362.

So I would look for an 08 and up. Easiest way to tell is if the dash has (D) 3,2,1.

FYI...I have a 2006 National with a 2005 F53 chassis, and my tranny is the 5 speed.

Al

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
The spark plug issue was more due to Ford's limited torque specs and not due to the limited number of threads. It has been proven that if you torque the plugs to 25 ft. lbs. they will not come loose.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
Probably not much to worry about with the older models. If they haven't thrown a plug yet, it's unlikely they will now (or likely, they have been retrofit already.

Of course, start talking 20yr old trucks, issues may crop up.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
My Chieftain was on the original v 10 and had no problem with spark plugs blowing out, etc. the problem I had was the motor sucking in ground water due to air pickup location and got a "snorkle" from Ford for that. talked to a fella at a campground who had a newer model and was sort of gloating about that until we compared gas mileage and his smirk disappeared.
bumpy

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
1999-2005. New plug design came in 2009.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress