Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Major Problems with Bed of Truck - how to fix?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Major Problems with Bed of Truck - how to fix?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/22 10:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It looks to me like the camper is only making contact with the bed along the edges. There are troughs in the bed floor down both sides where the camper pounded it down.

Normally a camper spreads its weight out somewhat evenly across the entire floor of the truck bed. That is your root cause here.

Is there any structure added to the bottom of the camper?

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/22 10:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^There is effectively NO structure under that model camper, save for the outside edges.
Same camper beat a little dent into my truck bed on both sides. Only using a bed mat between the camper and truck bed.
And I’ve had the belly apart. Balsa wood (figuratively) and plastic tanks is all that’s under there.
All that said, what happened to the OPs truck is NOT normal. Even if it hauled that camper for 150k miles. What precipitated the damage, what furthered it, etc is something only the OP knows or maybe even doesn’t know.
Is it worth building a bomb proof structure to set the camper on? OP feels like it is. Many/most of us may disagree. But I can’t say I haven’t “overbuilt “ things in the past just to guarantee no more issues. And that is all that he is doing.
That said, there is likely more to the story. Based on beating the hell out of many truck beds and also knowing how the camper is constructed, frankly I’m surprised the camper could out last whatever happened over the years to cause that much truck bed damage.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/22 11:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No, the weight is in the perimeter of the base frame of the camper. There is very little weight in the center section of the camper floor unless the bottom has started to bulge.

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE

CharlesinGA

South of Atlanta, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/22 07:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

C.B. wrote:

AdvancedQs wrote:

Obviously, a new bed will not work because it will just crush the same way this one did.

From what your pictures show to me (in my opinion) your current box is not worth repairing.

Here's my .02c

Option (1) Replace box with a flat bed with side tool boxes.

Option (2) Find a southern take off box in good shape and reinforce where you know reinforcement is needed before installing.

Good luck

C.B.

Totally agree with this. You have to start somewhere, and that is with a new bed that has no rust or damage. I would NEVER consider repairing the bed you have, its scrap metal. Then you can examine where yours is taking the loads and reinforce those areas. Given it appears to be a LOT of weight, I second the flat bed conversion, but do it in ALUMINUM.

Charles

'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed std cab long bed Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

towpro

Compass PA

View Profile

Posted: 04/01/22 06:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Disregard, i was corrected its not a 990.

Page 2 it is said this is a short bed truck.
the camper COG is about 24" forward from the rear of the truck. That means there is around almost 1/2 the 5000 lbs weight of that camper resting on those 2 crushed points.
The camper has a floor length of 118" also add in about 2" for those rubber bumpers on front of camper that hit bed.
The truck bed is 75.6".
The camper is hanging out of back of truck by around 44"
That means almost 1/3 of the camper is cantilevering off the back corners of the truck bed. Neither camper or bed is designed for that stress.

* This post was edited 04/01/22 12:08pm by towpro *

2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/01/22 08:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

towpro wrote:

Page 2 it is said this is a short bed truck.
the camper COG is about 24" forward from the rear of the truck. That means there is around almost 1/2 the 5000 lbs weight of that camper resting on those 2 crushed points.
The camper has a floor length of 118" also add in about 2" for those rubber bumpers on front of camper that hit bed.
The truck bed is 75.6".
The camper is hanging out of back of truck by around 44"
That means almost 1/3 of the camper is cantilevering off the back corners of the truck bed. Neither camper or bed is designed for that stress.

Negative. It's not a 990. OP corrected himself. It looks like this and it only cantilevers about 2' off the back of the bed.
FWIW, these campers work will with the tailgate left on as well, although unneeded for additional support.
This is a shortbed Dodge and the same model camper.
(I suspect the OP may have his camper loaded very heavily though, or a couple events could have started the destruction and the weakened structure then degraded more than it would have under less severe conditions?

[image]

capacitor

California

View Profile

Posted: 04/01/22 09:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So he put a long bed camper on a short bed truck?

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/01/22 10:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

capacitor wrote:

So he put a long bed camper on a short bed truck?

Nope, that model is either short or long bed compatible, or short bed only if built in generator.

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/22 06:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe the OP travels the craft show circuit during the warm months as a leadsmith, and keeps all his supplies in the rear of the camper for easy access?

Hemi Joel

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/04/22 04:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would find a nice clean replacement bed of the same color. Then I would add more crossmembers and supports to it, perhaps 2 or 3 times as many as it already has. You could cut them out of a junk bed, or have a metal shop fabricate them.

2018 Eagle Cap 1163 triple slide, 400W solar, MPPT, on a 93 Dodge D350 Cummins, DTT 89 torque converter, big turbo, 3 extra main leafs, Rancho 9000s rear, Monroe gas magnums front, upper overloads removed, home made stableloads, bags.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Major Problems with Bed of Truck - how to fix?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.