Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Major Problems with Bed of Truck - how to fix?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Major Problems with Bed of Truck - how to fix?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev
AdvancedQs

Tampa

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/22 05:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And here is the fix. I highly suggest anyone who is going to go over 150,000 miles with one of the big campers in the back make this modification before your bed bends also.

Better to do this preemptively.

This thing will now last as long as the Cummins engine in it.

120 pounds added weight is a bummer, but no more worries is nice.

Before anyone gets all upset, the cross beam that is out of place in the picture is just waiting to get welded on. It is not attached in that direction.

[image]

[image]

jimh406

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/22 07:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not sure I'm seeing this right. It seems you are suspending your new crossmembers in the air instead of to the frame. What am I missing?

How did you straighten your bed floor?

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Toyo M655 225/19.5 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

AnEv942

CA

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/22 08:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Before (w/previous 'fix')
[image]
After
[image]

Hemi Joel

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/14/22 10:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good job!

2018 Eagle Cap 1163 triple slide, 400W solar, MPPT, on a 93 Dodge D350 Cummins, DTT 89 torque converter, big turbo, 3 extra main leafs, Rancho 9000s rear, Monroe gas magnums front, upper overloads removed, home made stableloads, bags.

AdvancedQs

Tampa

View Profile

Posted: 04/15/22 02:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh406 wrote:

I'm not sure I'm seeing this right. It seems you are suspending your new crossmembers in the air instead of to the frame. What am I missing?

How did you straighten your bed floor?

I guess you just aren’t getting how a bed works with a frame and towers. That’s all you’re missing. Maybe google to see some pictures of trucks without the bed on. Look closely at the frame.

It’s probably inherently a bad design. That’s why the original towers failed to begin with. Anyone know why they designed frames with the dip like that requiring the towers? I think the concept of KISS went out the window with modern vehicles.

Flimsy bed (like all stock beds) is easily straightened by clamping in place or hammering or strapping, depending on the part of the bed, then welding to the new cross members. It’s the weakest sheet metal. Bends very VERY easily.

All in all, not too impressed with the quality of the engineering that goes into this area of a pickup. When we do things on boats (building them), it’s to a completely different level. But I guess going for that quality would make what is essentially a disposable item much more expensive

* This post was last edited 04/15/22 02:42am by AdvancedQs *   View edit history

AdvancedQs

Tampa

View Profile

Posted: 04/15/22 02:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hemi Joel wrote:

Good job!

Thank you!

I’m pretty sure this will happen to lots of people that have a full size TC and stock bed after 150,000 miles of bumpy roads. So it’s a good idea to keep an eye on it if you’re a really serious traveler or just head it off at the pass with a preemptive reinforcement.

AdvancedQs

Tampa

View Profile

Posted: 04/15/22 06:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AnEv942 wrote:

Before (w/previous 'fix')
[image]
After
[image]

That’s an excellent visual summary.

jimh406

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 04/15/22 07:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AdvancedQs wrote:

I guess you just aren’t getting how a bed works with a frame and towers. That’s all you’re missing.

I know exactly how beds attach. I just can't see how yours is attached in your photos. Any way, it doesn't really matter if you are happy with it.

AdvancedQs

Tampa

View Profile

Posted: 04/15/22 05:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh406 wrote:

AdvancedQs wrote:

I guess you just aren’t getting how a bed works with a frame and towers. That’s all you’re missing.

I know exactly how beds attach. I just can't see how yours is attached in your photos. Any way, it doesn't really matter if you are happy with it.

Maybe this will help make it clear. That’s a much stronger tower in the picture replacing the stock one that crumpled.

The white part is the rear of the cab. Maybe you were thinking it was a different view.

It’s driving like a dream. A little more twitchy though because I’m still used to the TC being able to roll a bit in the bed. Now that it’s transferring all roll directly into the frame, I can feel it a lot more.

Different, but much better

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Major Problems with Bed of Truck - how to fix?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.