Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Timbrens vs. Sumos.....

huskyfan68
Explorer
Explorer
Back to towing travel trailer with 09 F150 with the 5.4
I would like to add something in the rear since I had good luck with airbags in past trucks and campers. I am looking at Sumo Springs vs Timbrens. (which appear to be simpler than airbags)- Anyone have and advice on which one is better?) Just looking for some load stabilization and leveling.
14 REPLIES 14

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Boomerweps wrote:
Just installed the Sumo springs on my 2019 F150.
My research led me to believe Timbrens are great if you have a really heavy load hauled often but are too solid for daily driving unloaded.
I really didn’t want the hassle of air bag adjusting for my relatively light Travel Trailer, plus the Sumos are an easy install. My jounce bumper replacement bracket had a hole and bolt to add that the poly Sumo screws on to. Tack welding that in to the bracket would be a good thing. While the install procedure said to jack up the truck on the frame for an easier install, it was easy enough to do on a flat garage floor.
No change in daily driving. Have yet to haul a heavy load or pull my camper after the install.

I've had Timbrens on my 2015 since I bought the truck new and there's no discernable difference in the unloaded ride. I've got a bit less than an inch of a gap between the Timberns and axle. When I'm loaded up they are in contact with the axle and they have a nice settled ride. I can imagine that Timbrens might be a bit more abrupt on a half ton where you've got a softer suspension that allows more slapping, so to speak.

For under $200 and zero maintenance or fiddling, the Timbrens have been fantastic in my experience. I see no advantage to airbags in my application.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Airbags are great for improved ride. BIG mistake people make is they think they need to air to unloaded ride height! Then they wonder why their RV rides nose high and they have a horrible ride.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

alboy
Explorer
Explorer
I had air bags for years on our 06 3500 ram,3200 pin wt.I had to run the bags empty to maintain a decent ride unloaded.To do it again i would try the Sumo product.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've had Timbrens on my for ten years. They ride too hard. Next time I'll go with airbags.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Why not stick with what has worked in the past? It's tough to get much simpler than air bags. JMO of course.

100% agree! Better yet get a truck that will do what you want.

Lots of conceit oozing out of that statement….typical.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
Just installed the Sumo springs on my 2019 F150.
My research led me to believe Timbrens are great if you have a really heavy load hauled often but are too solid for daily driving unloaded.
I really didn’t want the hassle of air bag adjusting for my relatively light Travel Trailer, plus the Sumos are an easy install. My jounce bumper replacement bracket had a hole and bolt to add that the poly Sumo screws on to. Tack welding that in to the bracket would be a good thing. While the install procedure said to jack up the truck on the frame for an easier install, it was easy enough to do on a flat garage floor.
No change in daily driving. Have yet to haul a heavy load or pull my camper after the install.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
fj12ryder wrote:
Why not stick with what has worked in the past? It's tough to get much simpler than air bags. JMO of course.

Airbags are certainly an option but yes, it can get much simpler.

Put a set of sumos on...one bolt off, one bolt on...done.

Now they can't be adjusted like an airbag but there is also nothing to fail.

Unlike the timbrens, they are progressive, meaning when they first contact, they apply a relatively small force per inch of compression and then ramp up, this avoids the really bad jarring when they do contact.

We have them on an F250 and there is about an inch of travel before they contact...I can't tell the difference driving around empty but they take some of the sag out when heavily loaded.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Explorer II
Explorer II
I can't say anything about Sumo's but I've been using Timbrens for years on my last 3 F150s without issue. They work great for me.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:

100% agree! Better yet get a truck that will do what you want.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
huskyfan68 wrote:
Back to towing travel trailer with 09 F150 with the 5.4
I would like to add something in the rear since I had good luck with airbags in past trucks and campers. I am looking at Sumo Springs vs Timbrens. (which appear to be simpler than airbags)- Anyone have and advice on which one is better?) Just looking for some load stabilization and leveling.

Repost your question regarding a 1/2 ton truck. HD 3/4 or one ton trucks don't help with the OP with his F150 question.

I have the black Sumo's on the wife '16 1500 chevy 4wd short bed truck for pulling my 10k car hauler/7200 lb blue tractor/7' Rhino mower. Make around 9200 lbs on the trailers axles. I load the tractor till about 1040-1100 lbs on the trucks rear axle depending on where I place the tractor.
Even with new Bilsteins the truck had more pogo sticking than I wanted with a WD hitch/friction bars or without. Not even a hint of pogo stickin' now.

I got them from etrailer at their recommendation per my combo use. On the chevy just take the 13mm bolt out of the bump stop and bolt the Sumo plate adapter to that spot. The adapter has a threaded stud pointing down. Spin the Sumo on and its ready to go. To remove the Sumo... jack the back of the truck up about a inch and spin the Sumo off. Install the OEM bump stop with the 13mm bolt. Takes me about 3 min to make the change.

I've used Timbrens but not on a 1/2 ton truck.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

mooky_stinks
Explorer
Explorer
I have Sumo’s. Took 3” of squat and made it 1.5”. Installed them and forget they’re there. They only come in contact when camper is hooked up. I forget the rating but they’re the black ones.
2020 F150 XL Screw 4x4 6.5”box
3.5 ecoboost Max tow HDPP
7850 GVW. 4800 RAWR
2565 payload

2020 Cougar 29RKS 5th wheel

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
When I had a leaf spring F150, I added a helper leaf to each side. Don't remember the brand anymore. Super simple install and worked great for years.

I tried Timbrens on my current Ram 1500. It was a jarring mistake. I took them back off within a week. Sumo Springs come in two strengths I think. I would opt for the softer one.

Right now I'm considering air bags. Fairly simple install and adjustability are both plusses.

JMHO
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
I went with airbags, and a dual path compressor. My main reason is the ability to adjust the hieght of the rear of the TV and the front of the coach to get the 6 point stabilizer legs over obstacles when manuvering into a camping spot. With a bluetooth controlled compressor, it works really well.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"