Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Recommended storage in bed with 5th wheel

speediq99
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hello,

If you have storage in your bed, can you share what you are using?

We have a RAM 3500 8ft with 60g in-bed combo fuel/small toolbox carrying a 5th wheel with 20k Goosebox. We cover all this with a Truxedo.

I have seen some expensive saddle boxes behind wheel well as well as some simple plastic boxes on the bed with a divider. I am just wondering what you use and what works best. I dont want to put anything back there that hits that hitch by accident.

MC
8 REPLIES 8

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
We used to carry a couple 5 gallon fuel jugs and a pair of Honda Generators in the truck bed with our fifth wheel.
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Guess I'm odd man out. Depending on where we go, firewood up front, tire step thingy just behind it leaning up against side of box so I can reach it, then wood blocks behind hitch for legs. If no firewood, then front is wide open. Covered w/ Access tonneau cover otherwise.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
Back when I had a 5th wheel, I put an American Tank (in Frisco, TX ???) 60 gallon tank / toolbox combo in the back of the F350 w / 8' bed. Served all of my needs and, combined with the truck tank, gave me circa 1100 miles towing....which meant I could always fill up after dropping the 5ver for the night rather than ever having to fill up on the road.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
We only have a tool box in our TV bed, that leaves room for extra cases of bottled water and firewood, stuff that clears the FW hitch and overhang. We also have storage pockets that keep things from sliding around, on both sides.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use 2X12s built like a ladder with three steps laid down on it's side.
I only use it on trips longer than several weeks in tandem with a tool box against the front of the bed that leaves a gap on each side of it.
The gap on one side is the Champion 2000 watt genset, the other side is a 5 gallon gas can to feed it if necessary.
Behind that is the 2X12 thing. 5 gallon diesel cans sit on each end where I can reach them, with a 20lb propane tank and a 6 gallon water tote in the other 2 holes. All of that is in front of the hitch.
A tonneau covers all of it when parked or checking out the surroundings after we get set up. It's light enough to easily remove in-between trips if I need the full bed. The truck is rarely used other than as a mule. The hitch usually hangs on the 5er when at home.
Puma 30RKSS

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Personally I like my bed height 30โ€ front to back Highway Products tool box. I keep a 5 full of diesel when towing. May go to a TITAN 55 gallon replacement tank.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
An auxiliary fuel tank, and a case of drinking water.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would leave well enough alone!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD