cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Outdoor camp oven

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thought I'd share in case someone's interested. Bought this last year and used it in the summer for the family reunion. I didn't want to use the oven in the mh because it was summer. I didn't want to take my large CC Explorer Grill either. This came in handy and holds a 9x13 pan too. Herself liked using it while I did my DO thing and it kept the food smells out of the mh. With an adapter for the 20 lb tank it worked very well for the duration. I stow it under the bed. This one is a keeper for our needs.
Camp Chef Outdoor Camp Oven
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus
10 REPLIES 10

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
Maybe if you have a seasonal site with a shed to store it but it's rather bulky to be dragging around if you are on the move.

I've been playing around recently with the blackstone and a cover as a makeshift oven. So far I've done pretty well with pizza and even the pillsbury cinnamon rolls. The only thing I'm missing is browning the cheese on top of the pizza but I'm thinking of picking up a propane torch to do the final browning.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

vidotchis
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for sharing... I am investigating the purchase of a snow peak fire pit and they seem a bit small for use with camp ovens, but would love to hear if anyone has used these firepits with them.
https://www.backyardstyle.com/best-copper-fire-pit/
One of the guys on here has one that I camp with regularly. I have sat around him a few times. They are a great thing and are well designed and pack nice and flat.

The BBQ on it a lot and the grill is great as it easily adjusts to different heights making it easy to control the temperature.

I haven't seen them use it with a camp oven. I think you could get enough coals in it to successfully cook in one. One consideration is that they taper down at the bottom so you would need a suitably sized oven and may need to use heat beads on the top.

I recently considered this as a camping option however decided to get the Ozpig instead, mainly because most places that allow the use of a fire like the Snow Peak (free camping CP's with fire pits) I could just have an open fire on the ground and cook my camp ovens on it. A lot of caravan parks and places that don't allow open fires like the Snow Peak have been allowing the use of contained fires like the Ozpig.
Also to me the Oz pig seemed more versatile with a lot more cooking options and once packed up it really isn't that bulky.

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
We had guests who loved cast iron. We were hosting one summer and they came walking up with a pie they had made in the cast iron DO for us. baked it in the pan like a regular household oven. Talking with then I realized these folks could write a book on their techniques. Cast is too heavy to haul camping but the pie was blue berry and excellent!
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
For people who are not very strong, there are aluminum Dutch Ovens.
Smaller ones are easier to handle.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
ppine wrote:
Cast iron Dutch Oven will cook anything.

True, and I've done it. This was for my wife who is unable to lift the heavy DOs and has some special recipes she likes to cook in a conventional oven. So she uses this, I do my DO thing. Everyone's happy. It works quite well for her needs too. She's all about baking desserts and breakfasts.

Here's the pdf of the Owner's Manual.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
A long time ago we used a Coleman oven that sat on top of a Coleman propane or gas stove. It did a great job for an inexpensive light item.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cast iron Dutch Oven will cook anything.
I have cooked for up to 45 people using several of them and no outside help.

Acampingwewillg
Explorer
Explorer
Love our Camp Chef too. It's kinda bulky but it works great. Great for baking pizza..our RV doesn't have an oven so this really is great!
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

fpoole
Explorer
Explorer
I had one like that, a boating oven/stove but eventually sold it..

But I've wondered how these were. I have most of CampChef stuff and like them.

So?
Are burners on the top meaning you should be able to Broil stuff in the over and does it hold oven temps fairly well? outside temps/winds adjusting..

Nice.. thanks..
Frank Poole
Roam'n ROG (Full Timer since Oct '15)
2016 RAM 5500, C/c, 6.7 Diesel, AISIN HD 6-spd, 19.5 DRW, 72 Gal fuel, 4x4, 10โ€™ Alum FB, 440 Amps, 4.10 Axle
2016 AF 990 640-Solar/10-6v Batts
GlowStep Stow Nโ€™ Go, E-Bike
RS1 Buggy
frank

Pooles website

Dave_in_TN
Nomad
Nomad
I donโ€™t have the oven but Iโ€™ve been happy with my various Camp Chef purchases. Thank you for sharing.
Dave & Christy / 5 Awesome Girls (28,26,24, 18 and 16)
2021 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS
2019 Ford F-350 SRW 6.7