cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New to 5th wheel, have questions !!

supercub
Explorer
Explorer
I've been RVing for 20 years all in Class A's, mostly diesel pushers. I'm planning on selling my current 38 ft diesel pusher and downsizing to a smaller 5th wheel. I'm thinking something in the 25 foot range or so. Planning on pulling it with an F-150.
I'll be looking for a used unit and $15,000 or less.
First question.........what should I be aware of a 5th wheel that might be different the a Class A that I'm familiar with.........such as, chassis, axles, hitches.......anything there to be on the lookout for?
Best I can tell I'll be looking back to 2000 year or newer.........is there models to stay away from or ones that are better then others?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You.
27 REPLIES 27

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
larry barnhart wrote:

Renee's wife asked me several years ago about why we had a dually truck. I said my reasons and had a nice visit but when they bought their dually I was happy to maybe have helped in their decision.

chevman

Amen Chevman!
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
ReneeG wrote:

Per our TV, we can tow a much heavier FW, but this one is just right and the DRW adds stability in our opinion.

Renee's wife asked me several years ago about why we had a dually truck. I said my reasons and had a nice visit but when they bought their dually I was happy to maybe have helped in their decision.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ReneeG wrote:

Per our TV, we can tow a much heavier FW, but this one is just right and the DRW adds stability in our opinion.

The stability really comes into play when the CHIZNITZ hit the fan.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
MFL wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote: "I think many are starting to realize they should NOT be cutting so close to the limits of their tow vehicle and are ready for a larger RV if they decide to do so.

Nothing wrong with having a bit more truck than you need! ๐Ÿ™‚

Lol...On my earlier wheel/tire thread, I was waiting for the "need a bigger truck" comment! ๐Ÿ™‚ Didn't happen

Jerry

It was closed too soon as that was the next comment. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Thanks! I was gonna say what the heck.

This is interesting. I winter in the PalmSprings, CA area along with many full timers and have noticed even 32' 5er's are being pulled by DRW trucks much more than in the past.

I think many are starting to realize they should NOT be cutting so close to the limits of their tow vehicle and are ready for a larger RV if they decide to do so.

2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Cummins12V98 wrote: "I think many are starting to realize they should NOT be cutting so close to the limits of their tow vehicle and are ready for a larger RV if they decide to do so.

Nothing wrong with having a bit more truck than you need! ๐Ÿ™‚

Lol...On my earlier wheel/tire thread, I was waiting for the "need a bigger truck" comment! ๐Ÿ™‚ Didn't happen

Jerry

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks! I was gonna say what the heck.

This is interesting. I winter in the PalmSprings, CA area along with many full timers and have noticed even 32' 5er's are being pulled by DRW trucks much more than in the past.

I think many are starting to realize they should NOT be cutting so close to the limits of their tow vehicle and are ready for a larger RV if they decide to do so.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
ReneeG wrote:
southernsky wrote:
Do yourself a favor and go with a 3/4 ton. More than you may need but the comfort in pulling is priceless.

Why not go all the way and purchase a 1 ton? Now THAT is all you will every need, unless you end up upgrading down the road to a monster FW. Our current TV and FW match up perfectly with a little weight room to spare.

Little room to spare?

The info I saw was your RV has a 14k GVWR? That is in 3500 SRW territory and looks like your truck is a DRW. What makes you combo so close on ratings?

I was being facetious. We preferred the DRW. Never looked back from our previous SRW F250 V10 4.1 RAR

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ReneeG wrote:
southernsky wrote:
Do yourself a favor and go with a 3/4 ton. More than you may need but the comfort in pulling is priceless.

Why not go all the way and purchase a 1 ton? Now THAT is all you will every need, unless you end up upgrading down the road to a monster FW. Our current TV and FW match up perfectly with a little weight room to spare.

Little room to spare?

The info I saw was your RV has a 14k GVWR? That is in 3500 SRW territory and looks like your truck is a DRW. What makes you combo so close on ratings?

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
southernsky wrote:

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
supercub wrote:
I haven't bought a truck yet, just thought a F-150 would be good, now I'm learning otherwise. Good info. Thanks
Yeah..... finding the right new or used F150 with the higher gvwr/rawr for carrying a 25' 5th wheel trailers isn't always easy as finding a 250/2500 truck. Ram/GM/Ford 3/4 ton gives you a lot more of every thing to choose from.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
you'll blow through most F150 payload before you even put TP in the trailer. If it's the unicorn high capacity F150, you may get away with it on a light 5er. Lot of ifs here.

Much better off with F250, but at that point might as well step up to F350.

Good luck

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
The F150 is a great truck like my 1500โ€ฆbut not for a 5er.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
supercub wrote:
I haven't bought a truck yet, just thought a F-150 would be good, now I'm learning otherwise. Good info. Thanks

Buying a truck, with the intent of towing a FW, a HD is better choice. A HD may also have the FW prep option. I took it that you already had the 150. A 250 gas will not cost much more than 150, but the gas mileage when not towing, is not nearly as good, if that is a concern.

Jerry