Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: New to 5th wheel, have questions !!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> New to 5th wheel, have questions !!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
supercub

Modesto CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/21/22 08:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been RVing for 20 years all in Class A's, mostly diesel pushers. I'm planning on selling my current 38 ft diesel pusher and downsizing to a smaller 5th wheel. I'm thinking something in the 25 foot range or so. Planning on pulling it with an F-150.
I'll be looking for a used unit and $15,000 or less.
First question.........what should I be aware of a 5th wheel that might be different the a Class A that I'm familiar with.........such as, chassis, axles, hitches.......anything there to be on the lookout for?
Best I can tell I'll be looking back to 2000 year or newer.........is there models to stay away from or ones that are better then others?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You.

ssthrd

Vancouver Island

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/22 09:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This will give you a few ideas to start with.

I have never owned or driven a Class A, so I can't help you with a comparison. I Googled this which seems like a fairly comprehensive look at the pros and cons of each.

2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2011 Palomino Maverick 800M
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/21/22 10:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Springdale has been good. Watch the pin weight with an F150.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

C Schomer

Pueblo West, Co.

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/22 10:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had 3- 25 foot fivers in a row. Great for getting into the forest service road camping places and they were great for mostly weekend camping we were doing then. They were also OK for a few 2 to 3 week vacations.. We had enough storage inside but They had very very little storage on the outside.
AVoid any of the cheaper, lite built units. I had a 25 foot 1998 forest river Wildwood. I am a darn good handyman and can fix anything but that Wildwood was such a flimsy piece of junk it was literally falling apart and nobody could’ve kept it together. It had aluminum siding and when it was falling apart I could see there was no vapor barrier, just fiberglass batting And wind blew right through that POS. We learned our lesson and spent the money and got our first Sunny Brook and we’ve had two more sense. You’re definitely money ahead if you buy a heavier well-built unit the first time.
Our last two fivers have been model 30s, actual 32 feet, and they have plenty of storage inside and out and all the creature comforts .:.with two slides.
We’ve even done a lot of off-road camping with these 32 foot units and I wouldn’t want anything bigger or heavier, 15k lbs, that’s for sure. Craig

2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WHOEVER INVENTED WORK DIDN'T HAVE AN RV!

supercub

Modesto CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/21/22 10:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What did you use to tow the 25 footers? What kind of gas mileage did you get when towing? Thanks for the good info.
C Schomer wrote:

I had 3- 25 foot fivers in a row. Great for getting into the forest service road camping places and they were great for mostly weekend camping we were doing then. They were also OK for a few 2 to 3 week vacations.. We had enough storage inside but They had very very little storage on the outside.
AVoid any of the cheaper, lite built units. I had a 25 foot 1998 forest river Wildwood. I am a darn good handyman and can fix anything but that Wildwood was such a flimsy piece of junk it was literally falling apart and nobody could’ve kept it together. It had aluminum siding and when it was falling apart I could see there was no vapor barrier, just fiberglass batting And wind blew right through that POS. We learned our lesson and spent the money and got our first Sunny Brook and we’ve had two more sense. You’re definitely money ahead if you buy a heavier well-built unit the first time.
Our last two fivers have been model 30s, actual 32 feet, and they have plenty of storage inside and out and all the creature comforts .:.with two slides.
We’ve even done a lot of off-road camping with these 32 foot units and I wouldn’t want anything bigger or heavier, 15k lbs, that’s for sure. Craig

C Schomer

Pueblo West, Co.

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/22 11:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My first 25 foot five or was a 94 shadow cruiser, 7 feet wide, low profile and it weighed 5000 pounds loaded. I towed it with the 96 Dodge half ton short bed extended cab 360 V8 with 3.92 gears and I got 9-9.5 mpg. It was a great match. Then I traded the gasserfor a 97 CTD’s 2500 long bed extended cab, five speed, 3.54 gears and I get 18 mpg.
Then I got the wider, taller, 98 Wildwood 25 foot fiver and mpg went down to 14.
That I got the much heavier Sunnybrook 25 foot fiver and mileage went down to 12.
A friend who had the same Sunnybrook pulled his with a F150 and he was not very happy with it.
The 97, 2500 CTD and the 25 foot Sunnybrook was an awesome match.
I would never waste my time with another half ton or a SB for pulling a fifth wheel. Craig

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/22/22 04:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do you have the F150 already? If so, what does the payload sticker say?

A 7000lb GVWR trailer is going to eat up 1400-1800lb of your payload as pin weight. Add in a couple hundred pounds for the hitch and anything else in the truck (including passengers)...You are likely going to need a payload north of 2000lb and a lot of 1/2 ton pickups don't have that.

It's possible you can stay within specs with a 1/2 ton but really have to keep a close eye on the numbers and you will always have to be on about throwing something extra in the truck bed.

If you don't have the truck, consider jumping up to a 3/4 ton (or even a 1 ton SRW), then the payload issues for a small 5er go away.

If you are set on a 1/2 ton truck, I would be looking travel trailer. Instead of 20-25% of the trailer weight on the pin, you are at 12-15% on the hitch, so payload doesn't get eaten up as quickly.

As far as mileage, depends what the power train is and how hard you push it. If you feel the need to do jack rabbit starts and keep it at 75mph on freeways, don't be surprised if you are down in the 6-7mpg range. If you take it easy and run at 55-65, 8-11mpg is possible but to hard to say with certainty.

Pandemic prices are a bit crazy but I would expect something closer to 2010-2015 with your price range. Bigger issue is under about 28ft, not many 5ers kicking around because below that size, travel trailers make a lot of sense, so there may be limited selection.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/22/22 05:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As mentioned, a smaller, older FW, will not have near the outside storage space compared to class As.

If your 1/2 ton is newer, it may be too tall for the older small FWs. Some will need to be raised, to tow closer to level.

Comparing axles and springs to your A MHs, many trailers have a much cheaper design. Axles can be barely adequate, and shackles/shackle bushings wear out quickly. Wheel bearing, and brake service may be needed, a good time to check all these things.

Some older FWs certainly better than others, and the Sunnybrook models that Craig mentioned a good choice.

Jerry

southernsky

Ponchatoula La.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/22/22 05:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do yourself a favor and go with a 3/4 ton. More than you may need but the comfort in pulling is priceless.

2022 Renegade Super C
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4 Sport

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/22/22 07:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Before we purchased our current FW (in the signature), we were dead set on a Class A. We comparison shopped both. Test drove a Class A. What really made me look at the FW, among other things, was when my husband asked me, "where will you put the garbage can?" for the motorhome. The storage was minimal compared to the FW we were looking at. So, with the said, be careful you don't overload. I am the "weight police" at our house and it's easy to overload when you have a lot of storage. Oh! yes, in the FW our garbage can is under the sink, out of sight, and there is plenty of room for everything else!

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica and Mabel, both Rat Terriers!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> New to 5th wheel, have questions !!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.