Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tent Camping: Wild Animals
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tent Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Tent Camping

> Wild Animals

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
BlackSeriesUS

City of Industry

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/22 12:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While tent materials have improved to protect us from the elements, while staying light weight, the materials do not offer us much protection from nature.
While camping with my Cub Scout Pack, we all bunked down for the night. Within a few minutes of doing so, I could hear a critter wandering just outside my tent. I could hear it sniffing around until it eventually got to my tent to where it proceeded to sniff my head through the tent.I smacked the tent and yelled "Get outta here!!" (I knew there were no bears in the area). The critter ran away but came back to explore some more of our campsite. I looked out the tent door and saw the culprit, a raccoon. He was adorable. They seem like the would make a good pet if they had been domesticated.
What encounter have you had?

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/22/22 12:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No they don't make good pets. As soon as they reach maturity, they become aggressive - like most wild animals.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/22 01:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

No they don't make good pets. As soon as they reach maturity, they become aggressive - like most wild animals.

I have the scars to prove it.

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/22 02:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't give them a bad reputation. They seem to have inquiring minds and are mischievous. Yes a big male can protect himself. You should explain what you were doing when it all started.

I have slept in everything from a pup tent to a small bateau in the deep swamps. Snore loudly you will be surprised what that will drive away. Although it hasn't worked on my bride of 56 years.

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/22 02:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Before you do anything, make sure it's legal to have a raccoon as a pet in the state you live.
It's not legal in all states.

RoyF

Fayetteville Arkansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/22/22 03:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While tent-camping one night, I was just sitting in the dark watching the stars when I felt something touch my hand. (I had heard nothing.) I turned on my flashlight and there sniffing my hand was a raccoon. It turned and walked away in no great hurry.

dedmiston

Coast to Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/22/22 03:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They stand in my driveway sometimes and watch me pack. I have to constantly open and shut the garage door because they're so curious and I don't want them in the garage.

They're adorable as all get out, but I'd never approach them and I'd definitely never attempt to domesticate one. I don't even want to encourage them to keep coming around.

[image]

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

morphrider

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/22/22 04:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had a black bear do a very close bluff charge towards my adult son in some dune/forest area. I happened to be 15 feet away from him, thought it was our other son messing around in the dark to scare him. I yelled bear and it stopped a couple feet in front of him. It took a while to get him to leave, he wasn’t too scared of us yelling at him. He came back later to get in my beer cooler, put a stop to that nonsense real quick. Again took a while to get him to leave. While my son and I were hollering at the bear, the other son snuck into the truck and locked the doors, he is an adult as well, lol.

Another morning walk with our dog I had a bull moose spot us from a distance and stopped us from continuing to the rv. Popped out maybe 10 feet from us. Me and pupper sidestepped behind couple trees and just had a stare down until he got bored of us. Tried pulling phone out to take a pic, dropped it from shaking. Didn’t bother breaking eye contact, phone was picked up after.

NamMedevac 70

Reno

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/22 04:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When camping at Sabine NF in east Texas many years ago I had a 3 legged coon steal a tightly closed non transparent jar from my table one night. Only thing inside was a book of matches. When caught in the act they make loud hissing sounds and stand on hind legs in a defiant manner.

Another time at Goose Island SP on TX coast a family of coons would cross a busy road at night and steal my salt water catfish from 5 gallon bucket as fast as I could catch the fish. I could not hear them stealing due to wind and road noise but they were super fast. At same location I saved a coon mother and her kits from being in a trapped dumpster in high heat of August. They were crying loudly and got my attention and park ranger used a large dip net to retrieve them. No thank you only more loud hissing. You do know the old Texas joke about the

wanderingaimlessly

Buggs Island lake

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/22 06:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Back in the 80's I was on a bowhunting trip at Chincoteague NWR. Rounding a bend in a path, I had a large Raccoon right in front of me, not 10 yards away. It was foaming at the mouth and came straight at me at a brisk pace. I backpedaled a few steps behind the brush in the bend, but it kept coming straight at me.
I ended up shooting it to stop its advance. I shot a second time to quickly dispatch it.
There had been warning signs in the ranger station warning of rabies in the area, so I felt justified.
About a half hour later as I was on my way to the ranger station to report it, I came upon another one, walking along and picking up small toads and eating them like candy. Yes it too was foaming at the mouth. But seeing it eating the toads, I skirted it and continued on to the visitor center. The Rangers were aware of the issue, and said several every year had to be put down because they were not afraid of people and there was no way to tell if they were infected.
So DONT mess with the wild coons.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tent Camping

> Wild Animals
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tent Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.