Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help with fuel transfer valve

speediq99
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hello,

I just bought an RDS tank. It is gravity filled. It will go in a 2022 Ram 3500. Apparently,RAM decided not to put a gas cap on these trucks so you have to manually fill the tank (open valve) and close it when gauge is full. It sounds like a pain in the neck.

I was told a motorized ball valve could be installed to control the filling of the tank from inside so I don't have to manually and physically pull over to start and stop.

Can you share how you solved this problem?

Thank you

MC
24 REPLIES 24

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
My 1987 had a transfer valve. It would stick. I pumped hundreds of liters of fuel onto the ground. I finally had it disabled.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
Use an electric fuel pump and forget the other things they are not needed

TimnJo
Explorer
Explorer
I have an in-bed auxiliary tank. Initially I bought the kit with the hose, manual valve and tee with a 'rollover valve'. This setup worked on my 2010 Chevy for the most part but occasionally would overfill the main tank, I never figured out why and lost fuel more than once, eventually causing me to take out the roll-over valve and just use the manual valve for control. That worked fine except that we'd pull over for lunch and to open the valve and if I didn't open the valve first we'd get back on the road, realise the mistake, and have to stop again, sigh.
I got a new truck and when I moved the tank to it I installed a 100% duty 12V solenoid valve with the power switch in the cab. The switch is illuminated when on and is in line of sight and is also hooked up to accessory power so if I forget to turn it off at destination it won't drain the aux tank onto the ground.
My previous truck would sometimes detect that the fuel level wasn't dropping and the tank level indicator would drop to zero, resetting on cycling the ignition key to off. This hasn't happened with the new truck.
HTH, Tim
2010 Carriage Cameo 36FWS
2018 Silverado 3500HD D/A Double Cab Dually LT

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Ok, youโ€™re set on installing an electronic valve. That is evident.
If youโ€™re just looking for justification that will work, yes it will work.
This is being made far more complicated than it actually is.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

speediq99
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thank you Dan.

That is the route we are taking to start.
If I find myself annoyed by having to pull over to open the manual valve, I may install the solenoid.

MC

dapperdan wrote:
MC, Iโ€™m not sure whatโ€™s changed since my โ€˜15 RAM but my truck didnโ€™t come with a fuel cap either, just a โ€œflipperโ€ style closure. When I first installed the RDS in my โ€˜06 RAM I DID have a fuel cap. My installation into the โ€˜15 was similar to the โ€˜06. Under the truck up in the fender I cut the metal filler tube, spliced in the โ€œTโ€ with the rubber boots included in the RDS kit. Supposedly thereโ€™s a check valve setup to prevent over flow. Iโ€™ve never had an issue with fuel spills!

I run the truck tank below half of more then flip the valve on the RDS tank and let the fuel from the RDS gravity flow into the truck tank. It looks โ€œweirdโ€ to be running down the road and have the fuel gauge start climbing! LOL The install is fairly easy and having the extra fuel capacity is great!!

Dan

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
MC, Iโ€™m not sure whatโ€™s changed since my โ€˜15 RAM but my truck didnโ€™t come with a fuel cap either, just a โ€œflipperโ€ style closure. When I first installed the RDS in my โ€˜06 RAM I DID have a fuel cap. My installation into the โ€˜15 was similar to the โ€˜06. Under the truck up in the fender I cut the metal filler tube, spliced in the โ€œTโ€ with the rubber boots included in the RDS kit. Supposedly thereโ€™s a check valve setup to prevent over flow. Iโ€™ve never had an issue with fuel spills!

I run the truck tank below half of more then flip the valve on the RDS tank and let the fuel from the RDS gravity flow into the truck tank. It looks โ€œweirdโ€ to be running down the road and have the fuel gauge start climbing! LOL The install is fairly easy and having the extra fuel capacity is great!!

Dan

speediq99
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree with you. They are very nice people.

This entire thread came from a conversation I had with them regarding this issue. I called to simply inquiry how their kit works. When I gave them the year/model of my truck, they told me to install a motorized ball valve to address some sort of issue with the gas tank cap. I then called the company that sold me the tank and they mentioned this being a concern of 2019-2002 RAM owners. They recommended a cap you can buy for the newer RAMS. Long story short, I am just trying to found out how people have dealt with this.

MC

dapperdan wrote:
So you already have an RDS tank, why not contact RDS customer service and inquire as to how to hook up your transfer tank? They're awesome people and I'm sure they can give you a much simpler answer!

I have a 2015 3500 with an RDS transfer tank mounted in the bed, it wasn't at all difficult to install, including the "RDS install kit" which is basically a "T" and some tubing! It's really pretty simple and straight forward.

Call RDS, ask how to go about installing the tank in your new 2022 RAM, I'm sure they'll have an answer for ya!

Mine's worked GREAT for over 10 years now! Good luck moving forward.

Dan

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
So you already have an RDS tank, why not contact RDS customer service and inquire as to how to hook up your transfer tank? They're awesome people and I'm sure they can give you a much simpler answer!

I have a 2015 3500 with an RDS transfer tank mounted in the bed, it wasn't at all difficult to install, including the "RDS install kit" which is basically a "T" and some tubing! It's really pretty simple and straight forward.

Call RDS, ask how to go about installing the tank in your new 2022 RAM, I'm sure they'll have an answer for ya!

Mine's worked GREAT for over 10 years now! Good luck moving forward.

Dan

speediq99
Explorer II
Explorer II
I really don't know if they make a fuel grade latching solenoid. I guess there is more to learn.

This is what I was buying

Solenoid link.

It does get to a point that we must accept some risks ๐Ÿ™‚ This whole thing is going to be full of valves by the time it is done.

I will probably just start with the kit and a diesel cap. If I have issues, I will add the solenoid to keep things shut when the truck is parked or I don't need the aux tank. It is mostly a convenience.

MC

2112 wrote:
How about installing a manual bypass valve bypassing the solenoid valve in case the solenoid fails? You can have both.

Do they make a fuel grade latching solenoid valve?

Explorer II
Explorer II
How about installing a manual bypass valve bypassing the solenoid valve in case the solenoid fails? You can have both.

Do they make a fuel grade latching solenoid valve?
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

speediq99
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is so that I can open and close the aux tank from the cab without stopping.

I will probably just leave this out to start. It is another point of failure. I guess the newly found gas cap should stop any spills.

MC

Grit dog wrote:
Not sure if youโ€™re missing anything. Since youโ€™re now considering the check valve kit.
But Iโ€™m missing why youโ€™d want to introduce yet a 3rd way to โ€œstopโ€ the fuel. (The electric valve)

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Not sure if youโ€™re missing anything. Since youโ€™re now considering the check valve kit.
But Iโ€™m missing why youโ€™d want to introduce yet a 3rd way to โ€œstopโ€ the fuel. (The electric valve)

speediq99
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here is what my research and feedback is leading.

Use the RDS kit. It comes with a manual shutoff valve for the tank and a check valve for the fuel filler hose.

RDS recommended using a Diesel and Def cap designed for the new Rams.

Diesel Def Cap link

On long drives, leave the manual shutoff valve open.

I am still undecided on the solenoid. Too many complaints on failures. If I use it, I will install it before the RDS kit and after the manual shutoff valve in the tank. I guess the worst that could happen is that it stays closed and I don't get to use the aux tank. The other scenario of it staying open can always be managed with either the check valve or shutoff valve.

Anything I am missing?

Thank you for the feedback

MC

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
This is one of those conversations where the blind are leading the clueless.
From โ€œno gas capโ€ myths, to speculation on what is โ€œbest.โ€ Replies are evident that several of you are grasping at straws to provide an โ€œanswerโ€ of which you donโ€™t have experience at.
Itโ€™s ok to not reply if youโ€™re just conjuring up potential solutions or making up stories.