cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre Entry COVID-19 Test No Longer Required Entering Canada

AKsilvereagle
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am surprised no one posted this notice released on Thursday March 17, 2022 as I just found out yesterday....

This is great news for me hoping I do not miss a potential third consecutive year from visiting Canada on vacation !!!

Starting on Friday April 1, 2022 - Fully Vaccinated Travelers Upon Entering Canada will no longer be required to submit a Negative COVID-19 Test Result....

Non Vaccinated or Partial Vaccinated Travelers that are permitted entry into Canada will still be required to submit a negative COVID-19 Test result within 72 hours of entry - same standard current protocols....

Additional details disclosed per CBSA News Release Link :
CBSA News Release
1975 Ford F250 2WD Ranger XLT (Owned June 2013)
460 V8- C6 Trans- 3.73:1 (196K Total Mi)
2000 Fleetwood Angler 8ft Cabover
Air Lift 1000 (Front)
Hellwig 3500 lb Helper Springs (rear)
Hellwig Front and Rear Sway Bars
Goodyear G971 LT Series (siped)
11 REPLIES 11

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
AKsilvereagle, good advice. Nobody wants to be stopped because an 'i' is not dotted or a 't' is not crossed.

We are planning on over two months in Maritime Canada this summer. After months of gathering information for the trip we sure don't want any hiccups at the border that can be avoided.

Border authorities, US & Canadian, sometimes get confused with us as it is. We are neither US or Canadian citizens so often our British Overseas Territory passports (Bermuda) are the first that the officers have ever seen. Some don't like different from the norm.

This is why we like to have paperwork more than completely in order.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

AKsilvereagle
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had my first dose administered in late April 2021 -

The second dose was administered in mid May 2021 -

My third dose (first 'booster') was administered in late December 2021 -

My CDC Card shows a legit sticker for the first dose, and hand written annotation for the second and third doses....which I think it's a joke hand writing it on the card as anyone can do so - so what's the point of having a vaccination card ?

With that said - once I received my second dose, I insisted on the supervisor in charge (after getting the run around by the staff) that I wanted some other type of legitimate PROOF of official documentation because of government officials, especially Canada that will not accept some cheesy looking hand written CDC card as proof of vaccination either when I plan to enter their country in the future....

The supervisor fulfilled my request with a copy under my name and date of birth of both doses administered, with the date administered, each dose amount, the name manufacturer of each dose, lot numbers of each dose, and the expiration date of each dose....

This copy told me the CDC has a nice set up of a central database to keep track of COVID vaccinations on every individual - which I wondered earlier on how this Alaskan couple got caught by Canadian officials as they determined their CDC vaccination cards were fraudulent upon entering Canada on an in transit declaration to Alaska via road - as they were denied entry of course and currently barred from entering Canada again for a length of time (pretty much done).

After going to the supermarket one day - I seen they advertised free COVID booster shots in late December 2021, as I inquired at the pharmacy about it and the lady needed to see my ID to see if I was eligible for one (thinking she was only verifying proof of age) as she disappeared for three minutes and came back to the counter to state I was eligible with the timeframe and past COVID vaccination history....

So I asked if she has access to the CDC database and she stated so, which is how they verify on dose eligibility, as lucky me they had three cancellations that day and walked out with my third COVID dose within 10 minutes of looking into it thinking I had to make an appointment and ended up with a sore arm for four days....

I also requested a copy of proof that I had the third dose, as the pharmacist given me one showing I got the shot that day - and for me to come back anytime after 24 hours later and request another copy as it will show a fully updated history which I obtained roughly a month later after showing my ID again.

So for those of you that are like me keeping up with their expenditures, tracking, and documentations, etc. - I would request to obtain a documented copy of every COVID shot to also present to customs officials if needed in case their CDC database access glitches for whatever reasons.
1975 Ford F250 2WD Ranger XLT (Owned June 2013)
460 V8- C6 Trans- 3.73:1 (196K Total Mi)
2000 Fleetwood Angler 8ft Cabover
Air Lift 1000 (Front)
Hellwig 3500 lb Helper Springs (rear)
Hellwig Front and Rear Sway Bars
Goodyear G971 LT Series (siped)

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
Veebyes wrote:
SideHillSoup wrote:
Veebyes wrote:
As visitors with plans to enter Canada in June I am somewhat confused after looking at the official Canadian website.

We are currently 'in date' having had 3 shots. The booster being last October, 5 months ago. By June will we be out of date & considered UNVAXED & subject to the testing required of an unvaxed person?

As an in date vaccinated person has the 24hr antigen test requirement been dropped?

We don't want to arrive at the border & find that we are not in compliance for some reason or another.

Why will you be “out of date” I don’t have a expiration date on my vaccination card.

I went back and read the official govt of Canada website
Canada Covid entry after April 1/22

You need to be fully vaccinated with proof. You “must” download the arriveCan app and fill it out with the information it requires, which will be asked for at the boarder when entering Canada.
You also need everything else required to enter Canada, just like before Covid.
It’s pretty straight forward I don’t see any issues if your fully vaccinated.

How long is the booster good for?

After the first shots the booster was available/advised six months later. The reason being that the effectiveness of the initial shots has worn off after six months. That is why it is called a booster.

So now, six months after the booster, is a second booster required to keep the effectiveness up to date? That is where the question lies. All of the rest is understood perfectly.

How can one be "fully vaccinated" if the full effectiveness of a booster wears off in six months?

Our six months after the booster is about up. Without another booster we will be eight months by the time we get to crossing into Canada.

the effectivness is not fully gone after 6 months, it just drops a little. there is no requirment for a booster in canada after two shots you are considered fully vacinated, the booster is just a bonus.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:
SideHillSoup wrote:
Veebyes wrote:
As visitors with plans to enter Canada in June I am somewhat confused after looking at the official Canadian website.

We are currently 'in date' having had 3 shots. The booster being last October, 5 months ago. By June will we be out of date & considered UNVAXED & subject to the testing required of an unvaxed person?

As an in date vaccinated person has the 24hr antigen test requirement been dropped?

We don't want to arrive at the border & find that we are not in compliance for some reason or another.

Why will you be “out of date” I don’t have a expiration date on my vaccination card.

You need to be fully vaccinated with proof. You “must” download the arriveCan app and fill it out with the information it requires, which will be asked for at the boarder when entering Canada.

After the first shots the booster was available/advised six months later. The reason being that the effectiveness of the initial shots has worn off after six months. That is why it is called a booster.

So now, six months after the booster, is a second booster required to keep the effectiveness up to date? That is where the question lies. All of the rest is understood perfectly.

How can one be "fully vaccinated" if the full effectiveness of a booster wears off in six months?

Our six months after the booster is about up. Without another booster we will be eight months by the time we get to crossing into Canada.

Your best bet is to contact the Canadian Boarder services and ask them that question.
But again, by vaccination card does not have an expiry date, so that is the document they are going to want to see.
Plus load that app and fill it out. They want to see that app on your phone when you enter Canada, so do a upload of the arriveCan app and see what it asks for.
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
SideHillSoup wrote:
Veebyes wrote:

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:

2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR

98coachman
Explorer
Explorer
X3. Thanks

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
rlw999 wrote:
netjam wrote:
Beat to death since Mar 9 under SNOWBIRD heading.

I don't know how they've been beating to death a March 17th announcement since March 9th, but I'm glad it was posted here since I'm not a Snowbird, but I do like visiting Canada.

Same here. Thank you for posting this here.
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

rlw999
Explorer
Explorer
netjam wrote:

I don't know how they've been beating to death a March 17th announcement since March 9th, but I'm glad it was posted here since I'm not a Snowbird, but I do like visiting Canada.

netjam
Explorer
Explorer