cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

[SOLVED] Bad converter? Low voltage

SlowBro
Explorer III
Explorer III
The voltage in our class A's converter drops as low as 8.2V (measured with a cigarette lighter voltmeter) with a DC laptop adapter attached. Causes the charger to stop and the laptop not to charge. It currently has no house battery connected, though there is a starter battery. After some time the laptop charger stops trying and the voltage stabilizes at 10.9V. Is this a sign of a bad converter, or is this because no house battery is attached?
2010 Coachmen Mirada 34BH, class A, 34.75' long, GVWR 22,000 lbs.
2005 Fleetwood Resort TNT 25QB, hybrid, 27.5' long, GVWR 6,600 lbs.
God bless!
12 REPLIES 12

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
are isolators (diode based) units even a thing anymore? aren't they all solenoid based now?

if i replaced every battery that made it to 11.1, i'd be poor, recharge it and move on.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Amp-L-Start. combiner over the isolator will allow the WFCO to charge and maintain the chassis battery.

Or if the "isolator" is supposed to connect and pass power to the chassis.... it would be a good time to replace it.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
SlowBro,

Thanks for reporting the progress. The 11.1 on the chassis batter may well have harmed it, so replacing it is not stupid.

When you find the rest of the problem, that would be good to hear too.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

SlowBro
Explorer III
Explorer III
Since it was at 11.1V surely some damage has occurred. Will have to replace it. Stuck a car battery charger on it and the cigarette lighter outlets in question jumped to 12.6V. I think this mystery is solved.

Thanks everyone!
God bless!

SlowBro
Explorer III
Explorer III
I believe these cigarette lighter outlets are on the engine 12V system which I believe would place them in front of the battery isolator. Noticed that the engine battery is sitting at 11.1V. Does the isolator cause that much of a voltage drop?

Edit: Oh no. I'll bet the starter battery doesn't get a charge from the converter at all, and I've been draining it. Probably killed it.
God bless!

SlowBro
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just got back from the RV. It's a WFCO WF-9855 converter and shpows 13.1V at the panel so yeah, it's a fuse or wire or something. Got two sockets, both showing low voltage, so I'm thinking it's the wire or fuse. I'll start by swapping the fuse.
God bless!

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not clear if the 12v socket is in the dash (powered by engine batt) or somewhere in the house (powered by converter/house batt)

The converter does not supply the dash 12v socket.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Where are you measuring? Best spot is the converter itself.

That indicates a high resistance along the line somewhere.. Might just be a bad fuse. Might be $$$$$
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Slow,

If you have shore power, why don't you run the laptop on that?

Also, if you can post the make and model of the converter, someone will know if the missing battery is likely to be the problem.

Given that it is a 10yo Coachman, it probably was a good one when new.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

fyrflie
Explorer III
Explorer III
Verify voltage at the converter as time2roll suggested.
If good then check voltage at the cigarette lighter. That could be your problem. Or try connecting to a different power source to see what you get.
Check cheap simple things first.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Verify the low voltage right at the converter output. Once confirmed then replace. Yes virtually all newer converters are made to operate fine without a battery.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Which converter do you have. Most of the newer converters don't have to have a battery attached, but some of the older ones do require a battery.

However, the converter voltage should be above 13.2v under all conditions, so it very well could be a bad converter.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB