cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Utah State Hwy 9

teeznu
Explorer
Explorer
Will be traveling from Hurricane to Mnt Carmel Junction on Utah State Hwy 9 in a 40ft motor home pulling a 25ft car hauler trailer. Notice its a little "windie" in areas. And, are there any "height" restrictions?
Thanks to all who respond in advance.
9 REPLIES 9

2g_s
Explorer
Explorer
For you to drive the tunnel on your own the height restriction is 11'4".

From 11'5" - 13'1" you can still use it but need to purchase a permit. Then they'll close one lane and let you drive down the middle.

So basically.... 13'1" is the limit.

https://www.nps.gov/zion/planyourvisit/the-zion-mount-carmel-tunnel.htm

Anytime you use a national park it's very helpful to go directly to their nps.gov website for lots of good information on roads, special alerts, closings, things to do, campgrounds, etc.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, You can get to Zion but not Bryce.
You could use your toad to go to Bryce. Use Zion for base camp. Would be long day to visit Bryce, but well worth going through tunnel and seeing that portion of Zion on the way.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

teeznu
Explorer
Explorer
Can you get to Zion and Bryce Canyon on Hwy 9 prior to the tunnel? And thanks to all who have responded. I'd heard of the tunnel, but that's been about it.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
The height of the tunnel as well as the multiple switchbacks on that road argue against you. Even if you can drive it, it wonโ€™t be much fun. Lots of adventure, but not much fun.

dedmiston
I've done that tunnel with a 30' bumper pull and it's intense. Even just driving it in my bare dually (no RV) I had to pay extra to stop traffic and drive down the center.

Google Maps shows the other route is more miles but the same elapsed time. It's an interesting drive if you've never done it before.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I would also be concerned about the switch backs as it is a good chance that you will drag your trailer tongue.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looks like your combined length is too large.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Big problem for you and your rig?
Zion Hwy 9 Tunnel

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
That route takes you through the park and the tunnel. The height restriction is 11' 4". We drove through with our travel trailer. Traffic is stopped in both directions to allow RVs to drive down the middle. It's quite the experience. I've seen big buses and FW's go through. There is an extra charge of $15, but worth it.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton