Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Is it common to remove your truck camper at your camp spot?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Is it common to remove your truck camper at your camp spot?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev
Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/22 12:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

specta wrote:

Your choice.

Again, not for everyone.
When parking with 9000 lb and long camper in the city is not practical, you can't leave the dogs in camper park on the street on hot day.
You have to leave it on campground with AC running.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/22 05:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Still, your choice.

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
1976 Ford F-250 6.4L 4wd
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.

egarant

Mission Viejo CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/06/22 04:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

stevenal wrote:

Two campers over 24 years, and we've removed it exactly once; to drive the Monument Valley loop without shaking up the beer. Why unpack the camper to pack for the day trip, when everything we might need is already snug in its place? Food, clothing, water, bed (strictly for napping [emoticon]), first aid kit, dog gear, swim suits, etc..

And when the boat goes along, launching with the camper on gets easy with practice.

EXACTLY x 2

2021 FORD F350 dually 4x4 with 4.30 gears
2013 Eagle Cap 950
480 Watts Solar, 2K Watt Xantrex Inverter, Reonogy MPPT Charge Controller, 250 amps of lithium batteries by LifeBlue

ewarnerusa

Helena, Montana

View Profile

Posted: 04/06/22 04:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A major consideration I have for wanting to remove a slide in camper at a camp spot is that the dispersed boondocking spots we use are first come first serve, use it or lose it situations. If I didn't have a camp set up, the spot could appear available and be taken when I tried to come back to it. I have "reserved" a spot earlier in a week by pitching a tent there and I suppose that could be option for claiming my spot while in use but unattended as well. But my experience is you need to claim your spot during your entire stay or don't expect it to still be there if you left it empty.

Aspen Trail 2710BH | 280 watts of solar | 2x 6V GC batteries | 100% LED lighting | 1500W PSW inverter | MicroAir on air con | Yamaha 2400 gen

JoeChiOhki

Sauvie Island, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/08/22 10:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did this fairly regularly for a long time when camping in one spot for several days as the truck got used to launch any boats that were brought along or used for driving around the area without needing to drag the house along.

These days, though, I'm starting to lean more towards using the camper and truck as a modular motorhome option and look into getting a small late 70s-early 80s mini-pickup to use as a towed(toad) for doing the run around work and also to double as the gear trailer (I'm shopping for one)

My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express
CB Channel 17 Redneck Express
'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

WarrenS65

SoCal

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/22 12:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've offloaded it in campsites several times. It depended on how long we were staying, whether we wanted to use the truck, and how level and solid the ground.

When off the truck, most campers are easier to get in and out of.

I will say loading and unloading on firm, level ground is much easier than on a slope.

2022 F450
2022 Host Everest (on order, expected pickup date 6/30)
2021 Yamaha YXZ1000R
1987 Honda TRX250R
2002 Honda 400EX
1998 Yamaha Warrior
2006 Yamaha Raptor 250
2018 Look 24' enclosed trailer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Is it common to remove your truck camper at your camp spot?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.