cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is it smart to Register a 5th wheel in Maine

heyobie
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a 2016 fifth wheel in North Carolina and I'm going to park it in North Carolina should I get tags and title in North Carolina or in Maine
18 REPLIES 18

vidotchis
Explorer
Explorer
way2roll wrote:
NC personal property tax isn't cheap. You'll be hit with the "welcome to NC" Sales tax on the value of the Rv plus annual personal property tax.

True , Property taxes are too high here.

heyobie
Explorer
Explorer
Pm'ed you back again

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
PMd back

heyobie
Explorer
Explorer
Pm'ed you

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think you have 27 days in NC to inspect it and get it registered. You do have to get it inspected ONCE in MD and never again--DONE. Unless you have to have current registration on it to just park it I would get a MD title, no tags so you don't need to inspect it EVER. As you can see I lived near Glen Burnie and was a car dealer for several years. Send me a PM and I'll school you as its not complicated.

heyobie
Explorer
Explorer
Do 5th wheels require inspections in NC or MD to get tags?

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I own a home in MD and mostly live in NC. All my vehicles but one are registered in MD and the one that is registered here cost $550 first year personal property tax, + inspection, + tags. My other vehicles, DP, 2 trailers, 2 pickups, and a Smart car are all registered in MD. After inspection etc when first getting tags we pay nothing more than tags and insurance. Other than the Smart used to have emissions inspection we have no personal property tax and no annual inspection. This has saved me a ton of money and grief.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
You'd have to look at your state's laws. I live in Maryland, so as long as you have one trailer registered in Maryland, any additional trailers are considered part of a "fleet" and can technically be registered in Maine if you are engaged in interstate commerce. Sell a hotdog to a friend over state lines and its interstate commerce!

But the company I used (registered my boat trailer in Maine) wouldn't register RVs. I paid $99 for 5 years of tags in Maine. Maryland wanted $180 for an inspection (not required in Maine and the trailer didn't have brakes anyway), plus $180/2 years of registration. No thanks...
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

moresmoke
Explorer
Explorer
An RV is not considered a trailer in Maine, they have their own category. Unless something has changed in the last couple years. They charge an annual excise tax on RVs including towed ones.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
heyobie wrote:
This 5th wheel was tagged and titled in NC. The seller said she was required to have the title notarized to sell it and my name was required to be on the title as the buyer. So I have to get a new title in my name to sell it. So I might as well title it in NC. Only 3% tax in NC. I'm from Maryland and it's a 7% tax

The difference in NC and MD (I've lived in both) is that NC has annual personal property tax. Amortized the first few years you end up paying about the same. After a few years NC costs more.

You are right in your thinking to do it once and be done with it. When we moved to NC from MD and had to change registrations on all our vehicles we had to pay sales tax all over again on the value of each vehicle. What a sucker punch. I wouldn't mind if they allocated the taxes to schools and roads like MD. In NC no one has any real idea where the taxes go - but it's not roads and schools.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Optimistic_Para
Explorer
Explorer
You might want to take a look at this YouTube video, paying particular attention to the part about insurance claims.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebDF-C7GJec

heyobie
Explorer
Explorer
This 5th wheel was tagged and titled in NC. The seller said she was required to have the title notarized to sell it and my name was required to be on the title as the buyer. So I have to get a new title in my name to sell it. So I might as well title it in NC. Only 3% tax in NC. I'm from Maryland and it's a 7% tax

lap527
Explorer
Explorer
We have rv in NC, it's registered in Fl but that is where we live. It's not moving so I didn't even buy a florida tag for it this year. When we sell it will have a florida title that doesn't need to be notorized. NC DMV wanted to know if we were 6 and 6 meaning 6 months there and 6 months here. It got complicated so we said ok make it simple and we did.
2006 Dodge 3500 dually 4X4 / 2013 Livin Lite 10.0 TC /Torklift talons, fastguns, stableloads, superhitch, and truss/ towing a
14'V Nose Trailer when needed.

mooky_stinks
Explorer
Explorer
When I drag raced, a lot of racers registered their trailers in Maine because it was cheap and easy and could all be done online. When I go to the races now, which is seldom, I still see quite a few. There was never a need for anything other than what they charged to register the trailer.
2020 F150 XL Screw 4x4 6.5โ€box
3.5 ecoboost Max tow HDPP
7850 GVW. 4800 RAWR
2565 payload

2020 Cougar 29RKS 5th wheel