Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Storage RV lot with GFIC breakers
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Storage RV lot with GFIC breakers

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/22 10:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What brand of breakers are they? Eaton had a run of them about 10 years ago I think that were prone to false tripping from radio interference.

A couple of years ago my elderly aunt kept having the breaker trip for her living room. It would happen anywhere from a few days to a couple of weeks. I first tried reseating the breaker and tightening the screw connection. I then tried swapping breakers with one from another position in the panel. After the swap BOTH started false tripping!

So after reading about this issue with this age of Eaton breakers I ordered two new ones, installed them and no more issue since.

Even if they’re not Eaton, it’s possible they are susceptible anyway. I would ask the owner to try a new breaker (not a spare from any inventory).

mikestock

Vestavia Hills, AL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/22 04:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

10 years ago is about when he replaced all the boxes and the trouble began.
I'll check. If it's an Eaton I'll go buy one myself and replace it.

* This post was edited 03/26/22 07:49pm by mikestock *

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/26/22 06:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We recently remodeled our kitchen in our sticks and bricks house. The guy that did the wiring put a GFCI outlet behind the refrigerator. Our new refrigerator arrived and was plugged into that outlet. The next morning, the GFCI had tripped. We reset it and the following day it tripped again.
I contacted Samsung about this and they said that they would set up a service call to check out the fridge.
I called our electrician about another matter and happened to mention the refrigerator issue. He asked if his wiring guy put in a GFCI for that outlet, I responded that he did. The electrician said that modern inverter refrigerators do not like to play well with GFCI's. He said that this is a known problem and that the latest National Electrical Code has a footnote included that indicates that GFCI's SHOULD NOT be installed for refrigerators.
I contacted Samsung about this and ended up talking to one of their engineers that agreed with our electrician.

Bob & Dawn Married 32 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/22 10:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Does the 50A or 30A have gfci??? Heck no!

My 30A pedistal at our house has a GFCI breaker. Outside outlet, current code requires it

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/22 10:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BarabooBob wrote:

We recently remodeled our kitchen in our sticks and bricks house. The guy that did the wiring put a GFCI outlet behind the refrigerator. Our new refrigerator arrived and was plugged into that outlet. The next morning, the GFCI had tripped. We reset it and the following day it tripped again.
I contacted Samsung about this and they said that they would set up a service call to check out the fridge.
I called our electrician about another matter and happened to mention the refrigerator issue. He asked if his wiring guy put in a GFCI for that outlet, I responded that he did. The electrician said that modern inverter refrigerators do not like to play well with GFCI's. He said that this is a known problem and that the latest National Electrical Code has a footnote included that indicates that GFCI's SHOULD NOT be installed for refrigerators.
I contacted Samsung about this and ended up talking to one of their engineers that agreed with our electrician.

codes even when GFCI started being required exempted fridge and freezers from GFCI protection. Common practice is to put fridge/freezer on first outlet in circuit and GFCI outlet on next downstream outlet. That's what we did on our kitchen and garage for Fridge and freezer.

mikestock

Vestavia Hills, AL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/22 04:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I looked for an Eaton breaker but found no label at all. I exposed the breaker and found 2 blue wires on one side and two white wires on the other All were on the top side of the breaker. the bottom lugs were taped over. I would jump it out if I knew how. There is a main breaker ahead of this box so there is still protection.

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/22 06:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A 20A CB is designed to protect the wires from over heating.

A GFCI trips with 0.005A and above and is designed to protect you from electrical shock which can be deadly. Bypassing a GFCI increases your risk and liability.

Best to find the problem with with your rig which typically is moisture, wiring, appliance or possibly a defective GFCI.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/22 12:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Post a picture of the breaker.

mikestock

Vestavia Hills, AL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/22 06:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CA Traveler wrote:

Best to find the problem with with your rig which typically is moisture, wiring, appliance or possibly a defective GFCI

For the fourth time, I can and have tried plugging up specific items, one item at a time, even omitting my inverter. It trips, at times, under any circumstances. The problem exists with at least 4 of my neighbors who tell me they have the same problem. I'm not going around messing with other people's rigs. The only thing that works for me is using a 2 amp trickle charger directly to the batteries.

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/22 08:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mike, I read the posts and it can be the storage lot problem. I'll suggest again that you try the GFCI at home or other location. Plus it's OK on your trickle charger which can be a red flag for the RV.

Tracking down GFCI tripping causes can be difficult and time consuming and turning off CBs and unplugging appliances is only the first step. Since you've had this problem for 10 years is there more to the story?

Do you have a residental refer? They are not required to work on a GFCI and the NEC code does not require a GFCI for them.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Storage RV lot with GFIC breakers
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.