Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Storage RV lot with GFIC breakers
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Storage RV lot with GFIC breakers

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
BurbMan

Indianapolis, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/24/22 05:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GFCIs used to nuisance trip regularly,, the newer tech is very good and they don't trip unless there is a problem. When you say "GFCI breaker" can you be more specific? You can get a GFCI circuit breaker for the panel box that eliminates the need to install separate GFCI breakers. In that case if anyone on the circuit has a problem and the breaker trips the whole circuit is dead. If they are in fact individual outlets then I would change the outlet with a new GFCI. They do wear out. If your GFCI outlet is tripping after it's replaced then you have a problem with the coach electric.

If all you need to do is keep the battery charged, then get the solar panel and don't worry about plugging in.

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/22 06:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am assuming you mean 120 vac 15 amp breaker, not 15 watt breaker. And that each RV has a separate circuit breaker.

If you truly have a GFCI circuit breaker (rather than GFCI outlet/receptacle) then it could be tripping on current overload (greater than 15 amps) or a ground fault, meaning you have a fault somewhere in your wiring or in one of your 120 vac appliances plugged in to your RV.

I would not expect a ground fault as that should trip as soon as you plug in, unless the fault is in something only powered up occasionally.

I would guess you are running very close to 15 amps draw on the breaker and over time it finally heats up enough to trip. Especially if the breakers are old. Bad wiring at the breaker can also cause extra heating of the breaker.

* This post was edited 03/24/22 06:46pm by BB_TX *

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/24/22 06:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All breakers, including GFCI, get a wee bit weaker every time it pops.

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/22 10:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

is it a GFCI that causes the trip or an overcurrent?
If it is a GFCI on an outdoor breaker panel, outlet and cord I suspect that the cause of the trip is leakage somewhere downstream of the breaker. Moisture in the outlet, or moisture in the trailer outside outlet would be my first suspects.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/22 10:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A simple test is to plug into a 20A GFCI at home, RV park, etc and see if it trips.

Isolating the cause of a tripping GFCI can take time and your post suggests it's somewhat random. One test is to turn off all CBs in the RV including the main one. Wait then turn on the main CB, wait, then each CB waiting after each one. The "wait" can be a few minutes or perhaps days in your case. If the problem is an individual CB/circuit then the next step is to isolate that circuit problem.

Common problems are the GFCI, moisture from outside plug, plugs near water like a sink, appliances, defective wiring or screw in the wiring, etc. Are the plugs exposed to rain?

A GFCI is a safety device that detects an imbalance (known as a ground fault) of amps between the hot and neutral and that difference could be going through you, hence it trips.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/22 04:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GFCIs have nothing to do with grounds ! They work in a very different manner then a typical breaker. They measure the amount of current going into a load and compare it to the amount of current going out. If they are different, they trip.

Modern (past 10+ years ?) require incoming power in order to be reset.

Refrigerators and laundry equipment are notorious for tripping GFCIs.

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/22 05:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First you have not one protection device but two.
First is a circuit breaker. this is what worries about the "Amps" if it's a 15 amp breaker a 20 amp load = the click of darkness (Tripped)

Then you have the GFCI. it does not care about amps. it carries about mA (Thousands of an ampere or amp/1000) if the difference between the current on the black and white wires is more than a few mA different.. you get the click of darkeness.

many RV's do not play well with GFCI.. I know how to cheat and make them play nice but... cheating is not without danger so.. Sorry. I will not tell.

But any current leakage to the GREEN wire (Safety ground) or any other path to ground (Such as your body) trips the GFCI.

Finally.. GFCI's are required by law for 15 amp outlets in areas where there is a moisture danger.. Kitchen, bath, outdoors, garage, and so on.

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

mikestock

Vestavia Hills, AL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/22 07:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are 12 boxes in this storage area with 4 receptacles each. As far as I know, almost everyone has had problems. If I knew how to cheat the breaker I would do it on a temporary basis when I need to run my fridge for a short period between trips. Guess I would need to go into the owner's box and jump it out but shouldn't be messing with that.
As I said, I have driven a 6' rod in the ground to see if that may help. It didn't. All I do now, under normal circumstances is switch off the 12 v battery switch and hook up a trickle charger to the batteries. This works OK but I think a solar charger may be best. I would do this today but it needs to be permanent and I dread trying to route permanent wiring down the old fridge vent to the batteries. I pay $10/month for power so I guess it would be worth it in the long run, however, I would not be able to leave the fridge running.

Beverley&Ken

Tottenham,Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/22 08:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is it the GFCI tripping or the actual circuit breaker that feeds the gfci outlets that is tripping?
Sometimes GFCI outlets don't play well together and will trip the first one one line (my experience several times).
Try turning off the circuit breaker in your MH panel that feeds your GFCI outlet(s) and see if that corrects the problem. No cost, just a little time, probably more time when you forget to turn it back on when using the MH.

Ken

2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

prichardson

Lafayette, La

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/22 08:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are the loads that you have operating on a GFCI circuit in the RV? Many times multiple GFCIs in series do not play well together, especially when motor bearing loads are involved.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Storage RV lot with GFIC breakers
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.