cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bryce, Zion, Canyonlands, Moab end of April

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
Traveling home to CO from .... let's say St. George, UT ๐Ÿ™‚ and looking for suggestions to see the Utah sights on that route with 4 or 5 nights to spend end of April.

We're trying to learn how to balance my "perfectly comfortable bookdocking on BLM, NF, etc" and my wife's comfort level satisfied by commercial RV parks, and learning to adapt to NF campgrounds if needed.

We've driven I-70 back and forth for years between CO and the coast, but have always been going to or coming home from, and haven't yet taken the time to explore all that area.

Suggestions?
Thanks!
Greg
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er
12 REPLIES 12

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
Finally found a thread I started on Moab. Check it out for what to do, where to go, logistics, etc. Info about camping on public lands but nothing on RV parks.

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29448394.cfm
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just returned from that area, went to Zion, Bryce, Lees Ferry Az, Antelope Canyon, Sedona, and Grand Canyon. Snow in the higher elevations CG's were full, lots of people traveling maybe spring break for kids. First time to Antelope Canyon that was the highlight of the trip, well worth the trip. Lake Powell was low as well as the Colorado river. If you like to trout fish Lees Ferry is good. The state will pay you $33 for each Brown trout taken out of the river.

richclover
Explorer
Explorer
gkainz wrote:
Traveling home to CO from .... let's say St. George, UT ๐Ÿ™‚ and looking for suggestions to see the Utah sights on that route with 4 or 5 nights to spend end of April.

We're trying to learn how to balance my "perfectly comfortable bookdocking on BLM, NF, etc" and my wife's comfort level satisfied by commercial RV parks, and learning to adapt to NF campgrounds if needed.

We've driven I-70 back and forth for years between CO and the coast, but have always been going to or coming home from, and haven't yet taken the time to explore all that area.

Suggestions?
Thanks!
Greg

https://www.utah.com/listing/rubys-inn-rv-park-%26-campground/16743/
Rich
2019 RAM 1500 Classic 4X4 Hemi
2021 CanAm Maverick DS Turbo
Southern NV

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
Remember Most of the parks are 7000',, it could snow in June.. but it is a beautiful area, in early spring.. ENJOY.
No, both Zion and Arches are around 4000' at the base with the cliffs reaching higher. Canyonlands (Island in the Sky) is around 6000'. By the end of April, all of these parks are generally quite warm and very busy. You'll have to search hard for campsites on some nights. The BLM has greatly reduced the amount of areas open to boondocking in and around Moab. Easily accessible BLM first-come, first-served campsites there often fill by noon, although some of the more remote sites, such as Ledges, might not fill until fairly late in the day on weekdays. Sand Flats CG above Moab might have spaces a little later, but not all sites will accommodate your rig.

Bryce is higher and in some years can still have some lingering snow in shady areas. But generally by the end of April it is mostly open.

Cedar Breaks NM is one park that can still have significant snow in late April as it sits above 10,000'.

Unfortunately, like many places, any SP, NPS or BLM cg's that are reservable are snatched up almost immediately when they become available. You might keep an eye out for cancellations and try to snag a spot that way. High fuel prices might keep a few people home?
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I totally love the woman that for some crazy reason agreed to spend life with me. She does not wear makeup, hasn't used a hair dryer in 2- years, enjoys boondocking, and is a great motorcycle passenger. And to top it off, she is really easy on the eyes. And she is not available.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

2g_s
Explorer
Explorer
jdc1 wrote:
The biggest concerns with a woman and boondocking? #1. Having power for a hairdryer and microwave. #2. Water.
I am more concerned about water than having 120V power.

Certainly not ALL women!!!! Many absolutely love boondocking.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
The biggest concerns with a woman and boondocking? #1. Having power for a hairdryer and microwave. #2. Water.
I am more concerned about water than having 120V power.

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have done them all, just returned from our 5th trip to Zion 2 weeks ago. You can do Arches, Canyon Lands, Bryce Canyon as well as Capitol Reef in a day each and see a lot. They are all a relatively short drive from the previous park if you schedule them well. Yes ,Zion was packed in the middle of March but if you get out early it is still, worth your time.

A lot of folks are not all that familiar with Capitol Reef...Do Not miss this one. Sort of like Zion on steroids with much smaller crowds :W Spend a couple of nights in Moab and you have Arches and Canyonlands right there. The drive over to Capitol Reef is reasonable and mostly gorgeous. Bryce Canyon is a great drive from Capitol Reef but if you have a large/long rig you will probably find "The 12" out of Torrey a bit challenging.

As noted watch the weather as April can get exciting without much warning, be prepared for snow and freezing temps and just be happy if you don't get it.

๐Ÿ™‚

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
With 5 days just pick one park and stick with that. Skip Zion unless you like waiting in line for hours at the gate, and then standing in line at trail heads..

Bryce CG was first come last summer so you can check that out but there is all sorts of boondocking in the area.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
And Greg, here's a suggestion to get DW accustomed to boondocking -- start small (two nights?), and start close to home.

My wife was very skeptical about boondocking, but she agreed to try it "just this once"(just to be a good sport). She was instantly addicted -- the privacy and the silence and the unspoiled views were intoxicating (and still are, sixteen years later).

There is fairly good boondocking near most national parks (especially in Utah), but the campgrounds within the parks are more conveniently located near the trailheads.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Perhaps Capitol Reef?

Capitol Reef blog post

The higher elevation parks will be cooler at the end of April -- and that's a good thing!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Remember Most of the parks are 7000',, it could snow in June.. but it is a beautiful area, in early spring.. ENJOY.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.