Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Butt splice connector to join 10 gauge to 12 gauge wire?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Butt splice connector to join 10 gauge to 12 gauge wire?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Mike134

Elgin, IL

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/22 05:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jdc1 wrote:

Do it right....solder them together, then use the heat shrink.

Solder is good but a good crimp is just as reliable. How can I say for certain? I have yet to see a building I wired the past 40 years using crimps burn down.

2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/22 05:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

High or low voltage???

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/22 06:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Let's clear this up
GDtrailer pointed to a non-insulated crimp tool. That tool is for non-insulated crimp connectors only, such as These. I prefer this type. A quality tool will provide a very reliable crimp. Then goop it with any of the numerous sealants or RTVs available and heat shrink over it to ooz out the sealant for a good seal.

Then there are the Insulated Butt Splices. These use a different type of crimp tool. Notice how the tool jaw in the picture is different. You must use this type of crimp tool for any type of insulated crimp connector.

2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens, PullRite SuperGlide 2700 15K
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Vintage465

Prunedale CA.

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/22 07:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was pretty into soldering but splices until I came across the crimp butt splices that have the heat shrink integrated into the butt splice. I think this nearly rules out any type of failure assuming your eyes are actually open when installing them.

V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

LittleBill

Scranton, PA USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/22 09:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

the type that don't need a crimp, are these, they have the solder built into them. I have a set for emergency repair. they work well.

Solder/HeatShrink without a Soldering gun

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/22 09:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2112 wrote:

Let's clear this up
GDtrailer pointed to a non-insulated crimp tool. That tool is for non-insulated crimp connectors only, such as These. I prefer this type. A quality tool will provide a very reliable crimp. Then goop it with any of the numerous sealants or RTVs available and heat shrink over it to ooz out the sealant for a good seal.

Then there are the Insulated Butt Splices. These use a different type of crimp tool. Notice how the tool jaw in the picture is different. You must use this type of crimp tool for any type of insulated crimp connector.

Buy poor quality crimps like what you linked and you get poor quality covers..

You CAN use the crimper I linked for insulated butt connectors and it works much better with much more reliable connections than the tool associated with with your link. Cheapo crimp connections tend to have a harder plastic cover, better connections have a better cover which is more flexible.

Crimpers like this..

[image]

Crushes the connection into a oval, results in not much better than a pair of pliers.

The ones I linked has a pin in the center which pushes the center of the crimp down and in towards the wire making for a vastly superior termination.

I have for 30+ yrs used the style of crimper I limked on insulated and non insulated crimps with 100% success rate.. The other style, yeah I have one, somewhere laying around in the bottom of a tool box, too many crimps that pulled apart with that style to care to count..

I prefer soldering myself but over the yrs have learned on this forum that there are too many folks who feel crimping is vastly superior, I am not one of those folks.. I will take a soldered connection anytime over crimps, crimps are for speed, not quality.. Spent too many yrs of my life repairing crimp connections.

Skibane

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/22 09:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LittleBill wrote:

the type that don't need a crimp, are these, they have the solder built into them. I have a set for emergency repair. they work well.

In my experience - No, they don't. [emoticon]

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/22 10:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Skibane wrote:

LittleBill wrote:

correct. a properly soldered connection must first have a good mechanical connection, crimp, overlap twisted wires etc.

If you don't have proper knowledge about solder connections and techniques, rely on a crimp. Quality crimp tools make a consistently reliable mechanical and gas tight electrical connection with proper strain relief.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

LittleBill

Scranton, PA USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/22 10:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Skibane wrote:

LittleBill wrote:

care to explain why?

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/22 02:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP here: Someone asked about voltage -- this is 12 volt. And again, thanks for all of the advice.

I think I will have to buy a crimper -- not going to use pliers. I understand that solder is the gold standard, but only if the soldering is done by someone who is competent. I'm not -- I so seldom need to solder that I have not developed the skill.

The project I am working on will involve a total of four connections, and that will probably be my sum total for this year.

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Butt splice connector to join 10 gauge to 12 gauge wire?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.