Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Butt splice connector to join 10 gauge to 12 gauge wire?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Butt splice connector to join 10 gauge to 12 gauge wire?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/27/22 03:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Matt_Colie wrote:

Skibane wrote:

I bought an assortment of shrink butt splices, just to see how well they work - Never could get a really solid connection out of them, no matter how much heat I applied.

Skibane,

Don't feel bad, I got called to an owner's boat by a friend of his. Instructions were,"Look at everything he did and fix it. I will cover your cost." I had done some work for this owner, but he thought my bill was too high. He had just done a bunch of installation of new electronics and it was all flaky and intermittent. He had seen me use the heat shrink terminals and connectors but had missed that I crimped then before shrinking. I guess he didn't notice the tooth mark in the connections. They problem ones were easy to find, all I had to do was pull on the wire.

It took me all afternoon to get it right. Said friend assured me that I got it right and told the owner what had happened.

Matt

That man is lucky to have a friend like you.

2005 Cummins 3500 2WD LB quad cab dually pulling a 2014 Blue Ridge 3025RL

LouLawrence

Traveling the US!

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/22 06:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Assuming you have the extra wire length available using a wire nut solves many problems and it just as good or better than a butt splice.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/22 07:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LouLawrence wrote:

Assuming you have the extra wire length available using a wire nut solves many problems and it just as good or better than a butt splice.

Unless you want it Even remotely weatherproof. Which, wire nuts are not.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/22 07:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"OP here: Someone asked about voltage -- this is 12 volt. And again, thanks for all of the advice."

I asked because the answer matters depending if high or low voltage. Yellow butt connects will work but INMO I would use a RED twist nut. Strip back wires 3/4" twist them together and turn the connector until tight and the wires start twisting. Once that is done i would wrap the connector and wires with good quality black electrical tape. They will be a strong and GOOD connection.

AMAZON
Gardner Bender 25-086 WingGard Twist, 22-6 AWG, Electrical Nut, 25 pk, Red Wire Connector, 25 Pack, Count
Visit the Gardner Bender Store
4.7 out of 5 stars 539 ratings
$6.32

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/22 07:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:

Buy poor quality crimps like what you linked and you get poor quality covers..
I didn't say buy this cheap [email protected] I was using that for illustration.
Quote:

You CAN use the crimper I linked for insulated butt connectors and it works much better with much more reliable connections than the tool associated with with your link.
There is more to a proper crimp than a pull test. You want to minimize connector resistance without reducing the mechanical integrity of the materials.

Notice how much more area an insulated crimp tool compresses compared to a non-insulated tool. It compresses more material onto the bare wire, creating more surface contact, creating less resistance. The tool is designed to provide maximum compression without degrading the materials or jeopardizing the insulation during a full crimp cycle. The key is FULL crimp cycle.

The crimp barrel of an insulated crimp connector has thinner walls compared to a non-insulated barrel. A non-insulated crimp tool is not designed to properly compress the materials. It penetrates a small portion of the thin walled barrel and improperly deforms the material on either side of this penetration area. This improper deformation creates more resistance compared to a proper crimp and weakens the barrel material. This can be easily verified with a micro-ohmeter. Vibration over time further weakens the material.

Manufacturers design proper tools for different types of crimps for a reason, function and reliability.

Quote:

I have for 30+ yrs used the style of crimper I limked on insulated and non insulated crimps with 100% success rate..
So now 30+ years of wrong makes a right? If you want to keep using the wrong tool knock yourself out. I have to ask, why use insulated crimp splices if you are going to negate the insulation feature by piercing a hole in it?
Quote:

The other style, yeah I have one, somewhere laying around in the bottom of a tool box, too many crimps that pulled apart with that style to care to count..
Maybe you are using the cheap stuff?

Quote:

I prefer soldering myself but over the yrs have learned on this forum that there are too many folks who feel crimping is vastly superior, I am not one of those folks.. I will take a soldered connection anytime over crimps, crimps are for speed, not quality.. Spent too many yrs of my life repairing crimp connections.
Heat from soldering weakens the wire strands. But, properly done, cleaned, protected and restrained I agree, it's a better connection. However, excess vibration will destroy an improperly restrained solder connection.

If you want the very best crimp splice the world has to offer, use These

2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens, PullRite SuperGlide 2700 15K
2013 KZ Durango 2857

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/22 07:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had to bring 4 wires together and I crimped them in a butt connector. Soldering would have been tough, given that I was under the trailer reaching up under the rear cap. Is there a better way?

LittleBill

Scranton, PA USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/22 07:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

"OP here: Someone asked about voltage -- this is 12 volt. And again, thanks for all of the advice."

I asked because the answer matters depending if high or low voltage. Yellow butt connects will work but INMO I would use a RED twist nut. Strip back wires 3/4" twist them together and turn the connector until tight and the wires start twisting. Once that is done i would wrap the connector and wires with good quality black electrical tape. They will be a strong and GOOD connection.

AMAZON
Gardner Bender 25-086 WingGard Twist, 22-6 AWG, Electrical Nut, 25 pk, Red Wire Connector, 25 Pack, Count
Visit the Gardner Bender Store
4.7 out of 5 stars 539 ratings
$6.32

twist nuts in a vibration environment with stranded wire? Yea I would fire a person if they tried that with me. I have seen those things fall off in a house by touching them. they absolutely destroy stranded wire as well if you over tighten them even a half a revolution too far.

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/22 07:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

:"12? Or are they saying that both ends of the connector will accept either 10 or 12?"

Option 2. and that's the one you want... In some cases you might wish to consider a split bolt (those hold much stronger but are much larger as well).

I have a commercial grade crimper (Way too expensive) does a fantastic job of crimping the leads.. It is designed for Anderson Power poles but if you take the plastic stop off it's a general purpose ratching crimper.
NOTE Crimp on's do not work well on SOLID Wire.. Solder does (or crimp on then solder)

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/27/22 07:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't trust wire nuts to hold. This is especially true when joining multistrand to single strand, but can occur for any type of wire connection. I always use electricians tape to be sure the nut holds both initially and will continue to hold with years of vibration in an RV. Of course this looks like cr+p and is still not dirt or waterproof. There are several styles of more modern connectors that work better, last longer, are waterproof if needed and look more professional.

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/22 09:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm no expert (far from it), but I have had wire nut connections fail. (Probably because I'm not an expert!!) Plus they are not waterproof, plus they result in a clumsy fat connection wrapped in layers of tape.

Having said that, there are sleek modern "waterproof" wire nuts -- don't know if they really work.

The most interesting part of this whole discussion, however, is this: Who knew that we could all get so excited about the different ways of joining two pieces of wire??

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Butt splice connector to join 10 gauge to 12 gauge wire?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.