cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A Quick Question

Texas_Nomad
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased a small, used TT and intend to take it out tomorrow for a couple of nights close to home. It has two propane tanks with an automatic switch-over function on the regulator. My question: Do BOTH tanks need to be OPEN for this function to operate correctly?
20 REPLIES 20

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
KKELLER14K, I too like gizmos and my level mate pro is the best thing ever. That said, I don't go out and buy a gizmo just for the idea of buying something.

We have wonderful trailers these days. Indoor bathrooms and showers. Hot water heat, stoves and refrigerators that can run when you are out in the woods. I particularly like the automatic switch over feature on the double propane tanks. This little "gizmo" comes with the trailer! Open both valves and then pay attention. After you have camped for awhile, you will know about how long a tank will last. Check the indicator and when it turns red, it is time to fill the empty tank. I do not switch the valve until I remove the tank to get it filled. You will be drawing propane from the full tank and the indicator will still show red. The red reminds me to fill it up soon.
Some say it is no problem to get out of bed during the cold dark night to go out and open the valve. Well, I would consider it a huge issue. Of course, if you never pay attention to things, this would make sense.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
JRscooby wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
We prefer to only open 1 tank. If you open both, it's easy to find yourself with no propane.

If you run with 1 tank open, you know when the 1st tank is empty, so you can refill it before the 2nd tank runs dry.

I'd much rather get up at 2am, spend 2 minutes opening a valve than wake up at 2am freezing and there is no propane left.

Another idea is to open 1 tank. Then with furnace running before you go to bed, slide your fingers down the side of tank. When you find the level, decide are you sure it will last all night? If in doubt, open other valve. Morning coffee check to see if switched. Yes, pull tank. No, shut off, and repeat at bedtime. (The gods of propane will never let it switch in daytime)

Over time, you will learn how long a tank will last

If you never forget to check, that works. Most mere humans will forget on the coldest camping night of the year.

By running on one tank and manually switching over, there is no worries about forgetting.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bird Freak wrote:
Winter camping I check tanks every other day. When I see red I fill the tank. Never ran out.

I do the same, and it only failed once. Two years ago, one of the pigtails from the tank to the regulator developed a leak, the one that was not in use. The leaking tank leaked down to empty so there was no propane to switch over to. I replaced both pigtails, and no further problem.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

parcany
Explorer
Explorer
Bird Freak wrote:
Winter camping I check tanks every other day. When I see red I fill the tank. Never ran out.
X2

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
KKELLER14K wrote:
I'm sold. Thanks delwhjr....it is not expensive at all and moniters 2 tanks. Hey camp or glamp....I like gadgets like this..I installed a level mate pro and Wow! takes so much work out of getting set up. This monitor will be a nice addition to the toy box! Back to the OP...even though I have had auto changers, I always left one tank closed. I want to know when one runs dry then manually switch it over.

The tank regulator will automatically switch to the second full tank and will show red on your gauge to let you know 1 tank is empty. Then just slide the lever to the tank in use. Now you know you need to fill the empty tank. I usually check the tank gauge once a week just out of habit.

KKELLER14K
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm sold. Thanks delwhjr....it is not expensive at all and moniters 2 tanks. Hey camp or glamp....I like gadgets like this..I installed a level mate pro and Wow! takes so much work out of getting set up. This monitor will be a nice addition to the toy box! Back to the OP...even though I have had auto changers, I always left one tank closed. I want to know when one runs dry then manually switch it over.

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
If you want to have some idea of your levels, you can get a set of these. They work fairly well and you can check on your phone.
Propane monitor
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

TravelinDog
Explorer
Explorer
I'm with those that open only one valve because I want to know when the first tank is empty. If it runs out during the night it's no big deal.
Just say no to the payload police :C

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
MarkTwain wrote:
You will always know when a tank has emptied if you have a regulator gauge connected to both tanks which will then display a red color when a tank is empty.

I'm not convinced mine is working properly ๐Ÿ˜ž

I think the tank was empty, but it wasn't red. The assumed empty tank took 9.0 gallons (.2 short). The second tank took .3 gallons. It's first time I filled the tanks since it was new

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
bob213 wrote:
But... If you have both tanks open you will need to periodically check because you will never know when you have switched over to your other tank. Without checking you could deplete both tanks before you realize it.

You will always know when a tank has emptied if you have a regulator gauge connected to both tanks which will then display a red color when a tank is empty.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
bob213 wrote:
But... If you have both tanks open you will need to periodically check because you will never know when you have switched over to your other tank. Without checking you could deplete both tanks before you realize it.

You can install a regulator that will display the level of propane and when a tank is empty. I just make sure to check the regulator display once a week so I never empty both tanks.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m a fan of not using an automatic switchover and begin looking for a tank refill when one is empty. I would rather manually switch late at night than runout of propaneโ€ฆand miss breakfast!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
valhalla360 wrote:
We prefer to only open 1 tank. If you open both, it's easy to find yourself with no propane.

If you run with 1 tank open, you know when the 1st tank is empty, so you can refill it before the 2nd tank runs dry.

I'd much rather get up at 2am, spend 2 minutes opening a valve than wake up at 2am freezing and there is no propane left.

Another idea is to open 1 tank. Then with furnace running before you go to bed, slide your fingers down the side of tank. When you find the level, decide are you sure it will last all night? If in doubt, open other valve. Morning coffee check to see if switched. Yes, pull tank. No, shut off, and repeat at bedtime. (The gods of propane will never let it switch in daytime)

Over time, you will learn how long a tank will last