cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Blue-Ox Karguard

purplekeenah
Explorer
Explorer
Is anyone using the Blue-Ox Kargard to protect their towed dinghy? What is your opinion of the product, also have you witnessed any overheating of the toad drive system after a 6 - 8 hour day of towing in the summer months?
Thank you1
2015 Newmar Dutchstar 4369
2013 Chevy Equinox
6 REPLIES 6

purplekeenah
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all for your replies!
2013 Chevy Equinox

rdhetrick
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, I knew about the auxiliary pumps and driveshaft disconnects, but I had no idea it had anything to do with cooling - I thought it was purely lubrication....interesting!
Rob - Solo Full Timer
2017 Winnebago Travato 59G
Former 2006 Mandalay 40E

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
rdhetrick wrote:
I'm confused...why would the toad drive system overheat when being towed?

On my Explorer you need airflow to cool the PTU (transfer case) and at a half quart capacity you need all the cooling you can get!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

purplekeenah
Explorer
Explorer
rdhetrick, sorry for the confusion,but, I had to replace my '13 Equinox last week. I bought a new Equinox after confirming that it can be dinghy towed. In the manual there is a blurb that reads "Use of a shield mounted in front of the vehicle grille could restrict airflow and cause damage to the transmission. Repairs would not be covered by vehicle warranty. If using a shield, only use one that attaches to the towing vehicle."
I basically believe the wordage is legal-beagle B.S., but I can interpret "in front of" a couple different ways.
The Kargard gets mounted to the tow bar arms and appears to be approx. l0" in front of the grille, and the Blue-Ox towbar is attached to the rig, so, in essence, the shield is attached to the towing vehicle.
Personally, I don't see where the shield would be restricting air to the degree of overheating anything.
2013 Chevy Equinox

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Many towed's do not properly lubricate an automatic tranny or a transfer case and will overheat if towed any distance (These vehicles should not be towed unless modified by something like a drive shaft disconnect, axel lock or lube pump. I've used the last 2)

I also used the KarGuard back when it was called an RV underskirt (That towed had the axel lock) no problems to speak of however A hole got wore into it.. Likely due to improper install by owner. (me)... I know it made a big difference in the amount of "Grit" on the towed after a long trip.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

rdhetrick
Explorer
Explorer
I'm confused...why would the toad drive system overheat when being towed?
Rob - Solo Full Timer
2017 Winnebago Travato 59G
Former 2006 Mandalay 40E