cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Adding generator box to RV

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
2002 Roadtrek 200 on Chevy 3500 chassis. The Roadtrek setup has the LP tank fill behind the license plate which is directly above the hitch receiver. Brilliant design! I do not want to add any type of hitch carrier and want genset permanently mounted. Honda 2000 or 2200.

If I use a 3X3 or 3X2 angle iron clamped between the existing hitch and frame extending out about a foot beyond the rear of the camper, I can raise the generator box about 2 1/2' above the back bumper with 2X2 square tubing. Which would give access to the LP fill and make it easier to back into some spots.

I have done the Honda in a box 5 times now and have no issues with that.

See any flaws with this idea? Any and all input, thoughts, ideas or wise cracks greatly appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
The first step is taken, I have ordered the steel I need to start.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
It is on the list to see what I can do to make it easier. I think they put it so far under to keep it either out of view or protect it.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Can you replace it with a 5" square PVC fence post from HD?

"Have a stinky slinky storage tube so far under the trailer I have to get down on knees to use."
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
bgum wrote:
I would like to assemble all the idiots who locate things on RVs. I have a stabilizer jack in back of my door step. Can't get to it with step up or down. Have a stinky slinky storage tube so far under the trailer I have to get down on knees to use.

Your generator weights less than 50 pounds so weight is not so much a factor but the constant Up and down from the road will tend to weaken your mount. Just build it much stronger than you think is necessary.

They built these Roadtreks for decades, they are suppose to be the creme of the crop and some of what I see is of a shockingly poor design. You should see where they had the house battery.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to assemble all the idiots who locate things on RVs. I have a stabilizer jack in back of my door step. Can't get to it with step up or down. Have a stinky slinky storage tube so far under the trailer I have to get down on knees to use.

Your generator weights less than 50 pounds so weight is not so much a factor but the constant Up and down from the road will tend to weaken your mount. Just build it much stronger than you think is necessary.