cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diesel shortages??

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.bnamericas.com/es/noticias/alta-demanda-y-alza-de-precios-restringen-abastecimiento-de-d...

This could cause difficulties for some travelers> hard to believe that Mexico imports at least half of all diesel.
16 REPLIES 16

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
After the last two years, I guess we just try to work around it! Funny!

😉
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
The fun never ends. Today they reinstated the subsidies on gasoline. Go figure!

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
Confirmed. Gas lines at the border stations have disappeared. The stimulus or subsidy was removed over the weekend. Fuel prices are now 22 to 24 pesos per liter along the border.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
I am off to Hermosilo today and will check the one large Truck stop to see if they have diesel. Off topic but I have noticed the larger stations advertising that DEF is available. I also see a lot of new Mexican class 8 trucks with the little tank and a blue cap. That is the DEF Tank. Must be that ULSD is required.

Talleyho69
LOADS of luck being sent your way!

Have a great trip, see new things, visit friends and family if you choose and be safe.

Keep us posted along the way.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
Funny how we do things. Mexico imports 70% of its gasoline and it's now cheaper than in the U.S.

The word from multi-chain franchises is that PEMEX is suffering from logistical issues and not shortages. Now, the government is eliminating border station subsidies and increasing prices.

We are traveling to Texas in the RV for Semana Santa. We will need to fill up before the border or keep it topped off along the way. Wish us luck!
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Apparently the independent stations are having trouble getting all fuels. They are imported in most cases and the cost is just too high for them to compete. AMLO has not issued any new permits for importing fuel. But Pemex can import. Crazy. Mexico is subsidizing fuel that Pemex imports. I think the USA is upset as this does not comply with the mew NAFTA.

RicknJudy
Explorer
Explorer
NO diesel near Los Mochis! NADA. Not on any of the Hwy 15 stations. Lots of transport trucks sitting around.
We offloaded the trailer and went into the city for fuel.

Talleyho69
We wouldn't worry about using our credit card in that kind of situation. But, obviously keep the printed receipt.

There could have been many reasons for only wanting a credit card, including not wanting cash on the premises at night, the cash being counted for the day, (that happens here in Zihuatanejo once or twice a day) or some other reason that would escape reasoning for the minds of non Mexicans!

We have always used our credit cards for gas in Mexico and have not had any issues. It is our payment of choice in gas stations and grocery stores.

RicknJudy
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting. We pulled into the SmartGas south of Los Mochis, on 15 last night. Sadly, I didn't get the full story (my severely limited Spanish), but it seems we had to pay "credito, no cash" .
We wondered if it was a scam of sorts so did not fill up. That incident brought me to this forum. ... Thanks for the info!

We are going to head out this morning and see what happens at the next Fuel Station (fingers crossed). The fellow at the pump did explain it is the same thing at "Pilarica" which I know is the next station 3 km north of us. ....

Will add to this post later ....

playaboy
Explorer
Explorer
I just drove from GDL to the the USA, crossing today at Mariposa. The Pemex at Benjamin Hill did not have diesel. Coincidence?

At another Pemex 10 miles up the road I was able to fill up.

BTW, I saw over 2 dozen RV's heading north on 15D the last couple of days. I counted 2 heading south.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
moisheh wrote:
https://www.elimparcial.com/sonora/sonora/SonoraReportan-escasez-de-gasolina-en-SLRC-Penasco-y-Sonoyta-20220329-0027.html

Sonora: Reportan escasez de gasolina en SLRC, Peñasco y Sonoyt
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.elimparcial.com/sonora/sonora/SonoraReportan-escasez-de-gasolina-en-SLRC-Penasco-y-Sonoyta-20220329-0027.html

Talleyho69
How about a link, please.