cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dish network internet

DC_MC
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have been full time for 16 years and are now buying a home again. We’ve had Dish and when we were at our RV lot in Arizona we used Centurylink for internet.
I’ve read that Dish can provide internet and wonder how that works. Does anyone use them. Seems like it might be more cost effective than two separate carriers. We kind of want to keep Dish cause we really like the hopper.

Any suggestions?
2006 Mandalay 40E motorcoach
2017 Ram PU
2017 Harley Road King
Home base Yuma AZ
28 REPLIES 28

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
2112 wrote:
We started with WildBlue many years ago. Then moved to Excede for faster service sometime along the way. Viasat bought out Excede but we are still using our Excede account and hardware.

I knew there was one name I was forgetting EXCEED. that's what Bob used.. I never used it but Bob did. (K9EID, Robert Gene Heil, member Rock and Roll hall of fame, Producer of Microphones, accessories and sound systems. Noted amateur radio operator. Theater organist, (among other instruments) and electronics engineer.

Wow, gee whiz! Bob is quite a guy, even if I never heard of him, LOL.
Wonder if he/you know the story of Leo Fender, the Stratocaster, the "Showman and Dual Showman" amps, & Dick Dale..."King of the Surf Guitar"?
Maybe Heil Ave. in Huntington Beach, CA ("Surf City") is named after Bob - like Fender St. in Fullerton, CA - which *was* named due to Leo Fender and his many famous guitars.

BTW - more worthless trivia...as a lowly "Computer Operator" back in the 60's I worked with Jules Schwartz - the originator of the JOVIAL computer language - at SDC (System Development in Santa Monica. Another "think tank" spin-off from the Rand Corp, which is still in business.
We would time share every morning (about 6AM), two IBM 360-65s, with the Pentagon.

JOVIAL (Jules Own Version of the International Algebraic Language) is still in use in some military applications.
(Google any of those!)

:B..:R

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
2112 wrote:
We started with WildBlue many years ago. Then moved to Excede for faster service sometime along the way. Viasat bought out Excede but we are still using our Excede account and hardware.

I knew there was one name I was forgetting EXCEED. that's what Bob used.. I never used it but Bob did. (K9EID, Robert Gene Heil, member Rock and Roll hall of fame, Producer of Microphones, accessories and sound systems. Noted amateur radio operator. Theater organist, (among other instruments) and electronics engineer.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

PamfromVA
Explorer
Explorer
We live in the Virginia boonies that does not have access to any wired internet. Our cell signal is good enough for phone calls but not great for streaming. I ordered starlink in February last year and it finally arrived a week ago. We got it installed the same day and could not be happier. Last Saturday I was able to cancel the lousy Viasat internet and Directv. We are now using youtubeTV. Our bills for internet and TV went from $385 to $165 a month. Don't know if I would use starlink for our trips because it really needs a clear northern sky and most of our campsites are in the woods but for our house it was a game changer.
2016 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2017 Dodge Ram 3500
One DH
two very spoiled camping dogs

Explorer II
Explorer II
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I was not talking about Hughes. Did not know Viasat was set up for mobile/portable use. Know they will do a short term install however.

Have not followed them for a while.

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
Can't recall what the assorted names are... I think Wild Blue,, and ViaSat are on the list of names..

They are not rated for mobile use however and no plans that I know of.

Not true. There are several mobile sat Internet companies and plans . . .

HughesNet Gen 5 (Ka band)
- Manual Dish Setup (~ $1700). Business Internat Data plans from 35 GB/mon ($89.99) to 200 GB/mon ($389.99). Download speed max is 25 Mbps.

- Automatic Dish ($6,995). Data Plans 35 GB/mon ($89.95) & 50 GB/mon ($119.99).

ViaSat (Ku band)
- RV Data Sat Automatic System (~ $7,000). The data plans are sold by Speed. The cheapest (and slowest) data plan is
1 Mbps ($79.99/mon) the fastest is 4 Mbps ($329/mon).
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35’ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41’ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31’ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Retired JSO wrote:
I assume this system will be more reliable once all the satellites are launched.

I am inclined to agree.... It is a new or more or less new type of service.. there is an older service (forget the name) that's gone through a bunch of name changes... Can't recall what the assorted names are... I think Wild Blue,, and ViaSat are on the list of names.. Wish I Could recall the original name.

They are not rated for mobile use however and no plans that I know of.

Ah. Google is my friend: Iridium

Company went bust. another bought it and ...second verse same as the first (Went bust and another bought it) and 3rd and 4th and well you get the idea.

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
Star Link, not very good in our North Georgia area.
My neighbor has now returned 2 Star Link systems. The first used a round dish antenna while the second one returned last week used a rectangular dish antenna. His complaint is it would be working fine one minute then stop working. I assume this system will be more reliable once all the satellites are launched.

Wade44
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:

Oh. Starlink..> MR. Musk's new LEO Satellite ISP.. I'm told they are at least TESTING if not offering "mobile" accounts.... That said. I do not yet know how much coverage they have. the cost. or how well they perform... I'd be interested if I was still mobile. but alas, I'm not.

And alas I get this when trying to subscribe here using my central OH zip code. Send a $99 deposit and wait until next year or later? No thanks. I'll be glad to send Mr Musk the entire amount in Bitcoin if he wants, once he can give me a confirmed date. I wish I could get the Dairy folks to pay for milk, or at least send us a cash deposit a year or longer in advance LOL.

"Order now to reserve your Starlink. Starlink is currently at capacity in your area, so your order may not be fulfilled until 2023 or later".

2018 Marathon H3-45
2019 GMC Sierra Denali (Toad)
2012 Grady White 271 Canyon

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
I missed most of this thread but hopefully you understand that DISH does NOT provide internet via satellite. They partner with land based internet providers (both good and bad) for this service. However, if you can get a bundled land package, why would you pay for DISH satellite TV PLUS a land based internet connection.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
wa8yxm wrote:
Gdetrailer wrote:
wa8yxm wrote:
2oldman wrote:
Internet through your satellite dish? Haven't seen that yet.

I have a couple different versions of it... First is a different dish (Bigger) next is they deliver internet via alternative means (IE: Cellular, Cable, Twisted pair) and finally there is Sat down, alternative up.

I'd ask 'em how they deliver..

Yes, there is Sat Internet available, but that wasn't the question that the OP asked about.

And as you can see I was not responding to the Original Poster I was responding to 2-old Man

Oh. Starlink..> MR. Musk's new LEO Satellite ISP.. I'm told they are at least TESTING if not offering "mobile" accounts.... That said. I do not yet know how much coverage they have. the cost. or how well they perform... I'd be interested if I was still mobile. but alas, I'm not.

I think 2oldmans question was about getting Internet directly from the same dish as the DishTV dish.. In other words, there is confusion between DishTV and Dish "offering" a TV and Internet package.

Natural assumption seems to be along the lines that DishTV and Dish Internet is both delivered by Dish which is not true.

Further adding confusion is the fact that folks are clearly confusing this with the idea that DishTV and Dish Internet bundle could possibly delivered on DishTV satellites and you could possibly get BOTH services via ONE DISH.

The answer to that is a firm no.

Dish doesn't even have enough bandwidth left on any of their satellites to transmit the SD quality channels with enough resolution for a 20" TV let alone handle Internet traffic.

Dishes Satellites are also not equipped to handle additional Internet uplinking traffic that would be required for 100% duplex Internet traffic.

The KEY WORD is "partnering" which is another word for "reselling" another service they do not own.

Hughes and ViaSat satellites are designed from ground up for duplex Internet service. DishTV's satellites are designed from ground up as TV ONLY content delivery systems. The two different things do not meet..

Clear?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Gdetrailer wrote:
wa8yxm wrote:
2oldman wrote:
Internet through your satellite dish? Haven't seen that yet.

I have a couple different versions of it... First is a different dish (Bigger) next is they deliver internet via alternative means (IE: Cellular, Cable, Twisted pair) and finally there is Sat down, alternative up.

I'd ask 'em how they deliver..

Yes, there is Sat Internet available, but that wasn't the question that the OP asked about.

And as you can see I was not responding to the Original Poster I was responding to 2-old Man

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
From my experience your address of record dictates who they partner with. Right now Satellite is your absolute last choice until star link becomes mobile friendly. There are early adopters but there are issues. KISS … over the past 6 years we have 2 hotspots ( Verizon &ATT ) and used dish for tv ( flex plan changing service address as we go ) but now in the last year only stream via internet .. ( youtubetv). I can’t remember the last time no cellular was an issue.
Bill

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Retired JSO wrote:
Dish Internet is through their partnership with wired providers in your area so it’s not by Dish satellite but by landline.

Hmm..

According to Dishes own website, they DO "partner" with Sat Internet delivery providers..

Click For Full-Size Image.

But no, Dish themselves do not own any satellites that beam or deliver Internet down to Earth.

Instead they are simply reselling Hughes or ViaSat Internet services.

So, if the intent or need is Sat Internet, you would end up with a dish from Hughes or ViaSat PLUS your DishTV dish..

Internet from Hughes or ViaSat should be considered a last ditch effort if you have no DSL, No cable, no Fiber and no Cellphone service..