cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

CC Magna Build (solar, res fridge, induction cooktop, etc)

n0arp
Explorer
Explorer
We just sold our 2021 Ram 5500 and 2016 Arctic Fox 1140 and purchased a 2000 Country Coach Magna Indulgence (40ft).

The 5500 was wonderful, and the truck camper was great for shorter trips. After a year of full-time use and over 15K miles, we decided it was a little small. We had 1800W of solar, a large lithium bank, composting toilet, and lots of other things that made for a great boondocking rig.

We also have a 2015 Keystone Alpine 3730FB, that is now in storage. It has 2925W of panels, but we gutted the rest of the system and moved it over to the new Magna. Not sure yet if we're going to prep it for sale, or use it as a cabin on some property we are looking at.

Juggling the two rigs, and switching between the two like we originally planned, turned out to be too much hassle with the way we wanted to use them.

Solar racks are not new to us, as I've built a few for others, and the one on my truck camper. I've learned a little (or a lot) with each build, and am really happy with how the rack on the Magna turned out.

The install consists of two rows of six, REC N-Peak 2 365W panels, for 4380W total. In one of the bays, I have dual Victron Quattro 48/3000 inverters, two Victron Autotransformers (one to load balance between the two inverters, one to step-up generator power to 240V split phase), four Victron SmartSolar 150/35, a 240V sub panel, and 22.8kWh of batteries for the 48V inverter bank. I left the original 12V bank alone, for the time being. I do have a few Victron Orion 48/12 DC-DC converters I might wire in at some point, but for now the 12V bank is charged by the original Xantrex (in charge-only mode), which is integrated enough into the coach to cause annoying warnings when removed.

Storage space was a big concern, so the install was planned as to not impede passthrough bay usage.

We pulled out the factory RV absorption fridge and framed out the cabinet for a new 22cf residential side-by-side. We also replaced the original Sharp microwave with a convection oven/ air fryer/ microwave combo that matches the fridge. That took a little cabinet trimming as well, but fortunately the cabinetry is well made and could be modified in this coach. We had to pull a slide window out to put in the fridge.

We also added a 240V induction cooktop and a composting toilet. Sorry, I didn't grab a photo of the cooktop but it looks factory.

We did all this in the course of a week, in the middle of the desert out in Quartzsite, AZ. Several friends dropped by over the course of the install and would help for a day or two, and we had a couple with us who assisted for the entire duration. It was a hellacious move and I can't thank the little community we have found on the road enough, for all their help. Completing a full build, move, prepping a rig for sell and another for storage in the course of a week was a massive undertaking.

Not sure if anyone is really interested in our build, but we're rather excited about the new rig and how it turned out. I had a build thread of sorts for my old 5500 on here, and decided to do the same with this.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40',
4380W solar, 22.8kWh LiFePO4@48V, 450AH AGM@12V
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T, cloaked on 37x13.5s
10 REPLIES 10

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
Wow, OK we can see you are "handy"! :C

Yes, we like seeing these kinds of things.

And WOW, that Country Coach has beautiful wood work in it. You are right about the quality. It just jumps out over the average RV even being 22 years old.

Thanks for sharing,

John

PS. OK I found the story of Country Coach Wow, just wow.
https://countrycoach.com/about/
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Do you mind sharing the total cost of the solar?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

MLane
Explorer
Explorer
How's the Class A on the back roads? I'm assuming you don't go quite as far out now?

BruceMc
Explorer III
Explorer III
Quality wiring! Serious solar!!

I may spend some time at Quartzsite one of these days/years; it's always good to see pictures of the area. My older brother and his friend have a spot in the area and have invited us to drop in sometime, but as I'm still a working stiff, it'll be a while. Our last trip to the area of your little slice of heaven was January of 2015, and we were only passing through to spend the day in Los Algodones.

Looks good, keep up the posts!
2016 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLEC Chevrolet 6.0L

Y-Guy
Great write up thanks for sharing!

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

n0arp
Explorer
Explorer
zb39 wrote:
Very interesting. You do stay busy don't you. I get it. I have 2 RV's also, but plan on keeping them both.

Time will tell.

Yep, we had two rigs for over a year. The major issue we had is we'd be clear across the country when we'd want to swap them out. It just didn't work out for us, logistically.

It doesn't hurt that we had enough proceeds left over from selling the truck and camper combo (which had a note) to pay cash for the new rig, which is built like a tank and much better than either our fifth wheel or truck camper.

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
Very interesting. You do stay busy don't you. I get it. I have 2 RV's also, but plan on keeping them both.

Time will tell.
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
"Not sure if anyone is really interested in our build,.."

I found your posts very interesting. TY
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

n0arp
Explorer
Explorer
Lost a shaft seal on one of our hydronic heat pumps on the way to Zion, along with about ten gallons of coolant. Replaced the pump, ran to Wal-Mart and bought 8 5-gal jugs of deionized water and O'reilly for new concentrate. Flushed the system best we could, capturing all the old waste in the jugs, and topped back up. Had unknown coolant in it, and I didn't want to risk a bad mix. Planning to have it professionally flushed and an oil change this week, because 40gal of water wasn't enough to make it run clear and was difficult enough to get rid of (dropped it off at a Peterbilt dealer and paid a $50 disposal fee). Since there are lines running through the living area of the coach, I ordered Fleetguard Compleat PG directly from Cummins, which is less toxic to animals if ingested, and am waiting for it to arrive. We have a couple border collies that travel with us.

Installed new Cooper RM230HH tires on the drive axle, and Firestone FS561 tires on the steer axle yesterday. Had to mix brands because of availability, but wanted a mixed on/off-road use tire on the rear for additional traction in sand/dirt/mud, and just a conventional all-position tire on the front. The rig drives very nice and smooth with the setup. It had 2014 Toyo M170s on it.

Added a Garmin BC35 backup camera (works with my RV890 GPS) at the end of the rack looking down, which gives a big, wide view of everything. Replaced my Starlink Gen2 with a Gen3 dish, and ordered the parts to mount it on the roof rack, at the tail of the rig. Been working on fixing a lot of little issues expected with a 22yo rig.

n0arp
Explorer
Explorer