cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tires

rb2boxer
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 6 year old, 3/4 ton truck mainly used to pull our travel trailer. It only has 26,000 mile on it and tire tread is fine however age is starting to concern me. I have read it is recommended to replace tires at 6yrs due to age.

If I wasn't towing, I probably wouldn't care but being that is what the truck is mainly used for I am thinking its better to be safe than sorry

Thoughts? Has anyone changed their tires out due to age on their tow vehicle
19 REPLIES 19

sonuvabug
Explorer
Explorer
Timely thread. My Michelin LTX M&S LT265/75R16 tires (predecessor to the Defender line which has now officially replaced them were made in DOT 1813) -- 9 years ago and they were mounted within weeks of being made. The truck has always been parked outside in mostly a shaded spot (say 60% of the time).

These tires have travelled less than 80,000km (50,000 mi.) and have lots of tread remaining 10mm - 1/4" with even wear as I rotate them regularly and balance if needed. Up until last Autumn 2021, there were no visible signs of checking (sidewall, tread, anywhere etc.)

This Spring it's all come out ... the checking that is. There is a visible ring around the middle, outside of every tire, spider webbing cracks between this ring and the block edges and cracks developing in the outer tread channels.

If I was just driving around town or regularly light loaded like I've been the past 2 years, I might be inclined to leave them on until Fall. Since we are planning some major camping outings this year (finally), there are being replaced shortly. I believe a big part of the cracking becoming prominent is the fact I've only put a few thousand miles on this truck the past 2+ years.

I have no closely held rules regarding replacing worn or aged tires on any of my vehicles including our motorcycles other than I do so when it it time (wear, damage or visible deterioration). Regular inspections and common sense dictate my decision making. I will be posting up another thread on tires shortly --- this time for replacement recommendations.
2007 Adventurer 90fws Truck Camper
2001 FORD F250 SuperCab; 8' box; 4x4, 7.3l diesel, rear Sumo Springs

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Wade44 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:

I'm not advocating using 14 year old tires, but 6 years, if not checked or cracking, is not time to replace. If you do, it's only out of lack of experience or paranoia.

Among some other possible reasons which I'll refrain from listing. I have a good relationship with my local GMC dealer whom I've dealt with for 20 years. He calls me and I steal them when they sell trucks, add custom wheels, and get take offs. I wish they did it more often. I have 3 or 4 sets out in a barn right now that I don't even know the born out dates without looking, but I'd bet most if not all are at least 5 years ago. On my workhorse, a 2014 3500, the tires born on date are 2016. There are plenty of other things in life that are true reasons to get skeered about.

87? 88? She's a sweetheart. Have to have respect for someone shooting something like that in the garage, or did you do it outside?

Agree with you on the tire age thing. Yeah if they are checked like Burbmans pic, I wouldnโ€™t run them.
The GMC is an 86 model. Those are the original colors. Painted in the shop, not outside. Partly due to bugs n dirt but also temperature. All the paint/clear was in the last couple months when itโ€™s 40deg and raining most of the time.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
op wrote:
I have a 6 year old, 3/4 ton truck mainly used to pull our travel trailer. It only has 26,000 mile on it and tire tread is fine however age is starting to concern me. I have read it is recommended to replace tires at 6yrs due to age.

I found this in Michelin LT tire adds
Michelin Q&A

*** Q...What is the expected service life of tires?

A. While most tires will need replacement before they achieve 10 years, it is recommended that any tires in service 10 years or more from the date of manufacture, including spare tires, be replaced with new tires as a simple precaution even if such tires appear serviceable and even if they have not reached the legal wear limit.***
I always pump a tire to its max sidewall when looking for surface checking or tread/sidewall cracking.
Tires that sit a lot as on a rv vehicle or dedicated to towing/hauling some type of rv or a utility trailer/etc a few time a year can develop internal issues from sitting for long periods.
Good reason tire expert recommend removing the tire off the wheels and inspected by a experience tire tech that knows what to look for.

Good used tires have a good resale market now.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
The answer is that it depends....this pic is the sidewall of the Bridgstone Dueller Revo 2's I had on the Suburban. Still plenty of tread left but this is what the sidewalls looked like at 5 years old. I wound up replacing these prior to the camping season that year (2019 IIRC).

I wouldn't automatically run out and replace tires that are 6 years old, but start watching them closely, look both on the sidewall and in between the tread block for signs of cracking. If you park in the garage so tires don't get UV damage so might get 10+ years from them.

Wade44
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:

I'm not advocating using 14 year old tires, but 6 years, if not checked or cracking, is not time to replace. If you do, it's only out of lack of experience or paranoia.

Among some other possible reasons which I'll refrain from listing. I have a good relationship with my local GMC dealer whom I've dealt with for 20 years. He calls me and I steal them when they sell trucks, add custom wheels, and get take offs. I wish they did it more often. I have 3 or 4 sets out in a barn right now that I don't even know the born out dates without looking, but I'd bet most if not all are at least 5 years ago. On my workhorse, a 2014 3500, the tires born on date are 2016. There are plenty of other things in life that are true reasons to get skeered about.

87? 88? She's a sweetheart. Have to have respect for someone shooting something like that in the garage, or did you do it outside?
2018 Marathon H3-45
2019 GMC Sierra Denali (Toad)
2012 Grady White 271 Canyon

Goostoff
Explorer
Explorer
I bought my duelly in 2012 and the tires were used when I bought it. I have never bothered to look at the date on them. They are still in like new condition still and I have no intention of replacing them any time soon. I would bet they are minimum 12 years old. and I dont think I have put 5,000 miles on the truck
1993 Chevy C3500
2005 Cedar Creek 34RLTS

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Not that I'd use them heavily loaded or X country trips, but these tires have a 2008 born on date.

Have had the truck (with these tires) for almost 2 years now. First year, we drove it around regularly, including hauling the boat (size of an avg TT) down the freeway. I haven't even ever checked the air pressure!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

rb2boxer
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all for your comments/advice. The truck is in pristine condition however it does get parked outside in the sun. I should have put that in my original post. There are no visible signs of cracking, etc however both the age and sitting out in the sun are a concern

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Six year old ST tires they would have been replaced already, same age LT tires with little usage and no evidence of cracking of tread separation I would run another year and reinspect every season. I imagine the reason you are posing this question to the forum is you prefer not to replace them for this upcoming RVing season, whatever decision you make it should not be solely based on opinions gathered from any forum. Rather, do your own tire inspection and research the brand of tires on your tow vehicle, ask a mechanic or tire store if in doubt, ultimately it is your call whether to wait or just purchase new.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
It's getting near the end for those tires. Maybe another year but typically, on truck/car tires, the tread is worn out in 3-4 yrs, so they never age out.

At 6-7yrs, you are aging them out. Problem is all looks good...until it's not. If I was just running around empty, I might push it a bit more but not towing.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
LT with minimal use and no visual issues? I went 10 years on mine and I plan to do it again.

Rollochrome
Explorer
Explorer
New tires are cheap insurance.

Blowouts might cause a wreck, or at least damage the vehicle.

Plus now you're on the side of the road and might get killed there.

NONE of that is worth the $800 you'll spend every 6 years.

Peace of mind. Buy new tires.
1999 Saved By Grace Alone Thru Faith Alone! Thank You Jesus!
2019 F-350 LWB 6.7 4wd XLT-FX4-3.31 on Michelin Defender LTX M/S
2022 3850BH Cruiser South Fork on Carlisle CSL 16

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
If they are quality tires yes run them.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
The age is pushing it. If you are going to be even close to the maximum load rating, I would replace them. Way short and you might give them another year or so.