cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Simple RVing recipes

SkylineSearcher
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, does anyone have some simple RV recipes for on-the-go meals? A lot of cookbooks ask for too many ingredients, and I'm looking for down-and-dirty, step-by-step directions for quick meals. Something that can be whipped up in an RV kitchen without hunting far and wide for ingredients.

Thanks!
15 REPLIES 15

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Are you strictly focused on cooking in the camper with the stove/oven?

If not, what tools do you have:

Blackstone:
- Gridled meat and fried potatoes. Add green beans or similar veggie at the same time.
- Tacos: Fry up meat (grease drains as you cook), mix in spices (Tammy makes up a jar of her own mix). On the other side, griddle up the shells with melty cheese, Then drop some meat in, fold and ready for the table. Doesn't take even 10min.
- Smash Burgers: slow fry up onions till soft and brown, you can add mushrooms or other toppings if desired. Make meat into balls, then smash them onto the griddle with the spatula until they are maybe 1/4 inch thick. They fry quick being thin and don't shrink into nasty hockey pucks like so many BBQ grill burgers. Top with cheese. Toast up the buns and plate up.
- Pad Prik Pow Moo (aka: Thai Basil Pork): More popular in Thailand than Pad Thai. This one does require you to pick up Tum Yum Paste at an Asian store (no this isn't the authentic version). Ideally, you would add a handful of Thai Basil, Fish Sauce (no it's not fishy tasting) and a few Thai Chilies but still good without. On the stove make up some white rice. Fry up ground pork (again self draining for the grease but don't go overboard getting rid of it all). Mix in the Paste, a bit of sugar, garlic, soy sauce, fish sauce, Thai Basil and Chilies (to your preferred spice level)...I usually mix it all up in a bowl and then dump on the meat as it's mostly done cooking. Once fried up, plate up on top of the rice. Then fry up eggs (over easy so the yolk is runny) right in the left over spicy grease and put on top. Not counting the rice, another 10min to cook meal.
- Grilled sandwiches are quick and easy. Stick a pot in the corner warming up canned soup to go with it.
- Pizza: Pick up frozen pizza, extra mozzarella and any other topping you want or have on hand. Set to low and put pizza on. This does require a cover to hold in the heat. The only downside is it doesn't brown the cheese (I've considered picking up a small propane torch but that doesn't jive with quick and easy). The crust becomes nice and crispy.

Instapot (can be placed outside if not raining to keep heat out of the camper):
- Meat and rice: Throw chicken/pork chops/pork country ribs...etc in, with some rice, water and spices of your preference. The meat can be frozen solid so long as it fits (great option if you forgot to pull something out of the freezer). If desired, you can add a can of mushroom soup. Set for 15min and let the pressure release naturally.
- Lasagna: Fry up hamburger ahead of time. Layer in dry noodles, hamburger, canned spaghettis sauce, cheese. Add ricotta, spices and other items as desired to dress it up. Set for 2 min and use the quick release (only really cooking the noodles). It's not pretty little squares but still tastes good.
- Kraut, Potatoes and ribs (or most any port cut): Toss it all in, set for 15min, natural release...done. Apple slices are a nice addition and if you don't like it too tart, brown sugar (or white) takes the edge off.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

LMHS
Explorer II
Explorer II
Try looking for 5 ingredient or less recipes. There are lots. Or "one pot" recipes. For a simple recipe that I came up with back went we used to tent camp:

1 box rice a roni (a homemade mix also works) in chicken or beef flavour
Meat: pork chops (raw), chicken thighs (boneless, skinless & raw), kielbasa or similar smoked sausage

Make the rice a roni in a skillet just like the box says. After adding the water & seasoning packet, add the meat on top of the rice. Cover and cook, just like the box says for the length of time the box says. When time is up, remove the meat and fluff the rice mixture up a little.

vidotchis
Explorer
Explorer
TexasShadow wrote:
I don't like frying anything inside, so I fry up several 1 lb packs of ground beef for tacos, sloppy joes, or hamburger stew. I also make a big pot of soup to take packed in 1 or 2 servings in the freezer.
Hamburgers and wings are cooked on the grill outside.
I cook up chicken for making alfredo, or salad.
Omelettes are always good and easy.
I take about 3 lb cooked bacon with me and a big package of cooked sausage patties. And we like frozen mixed vegies.

What do you use for your grill cleaning? My grill oven is getting really greasy and I have found this article containing some information. Can you please give any suggestions?

hokeypokey
Explorer
Explorer
1# ground beef (browned with chopped onion at home). Combine with 2 boxes macaroni & cheese made at campsite.

Thin 2 Tblsp honey with a tsp or so lemon juice and add a shake of poppy seeds. Cut up 1 apple, 1 banana, 1 pear, 1 orange. Toss with honey dressing and enjoy. Use whatever fruit combination you have but always include an orange.

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
Camping World has a 5 ingredient cookbook for campers on their shelves. I've seen it in several of their stores. Also available on Amazon.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

OkieGene
Explorer
Explorer
There are tons and tons of RV recipes on YouTube, search box will find them for you.

Also, Google will give you tons of RV Recipes.

Suite Travels, on youtube, just did a video a few days ago on RV cooking.

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Remember the Seal-A-Meal is your best friend. 'Nough said.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

JonWalter
Explorer
Explorer
My favorite method so far is to use meal plannner and prep almost as if I'm freezer cooking. So, one ziplock might be the seasoning/marinade and meats. Another might be rice with dried veggies*. Sometimes I'll use a third larger one to hold it all together with a little note inside to add 4c water and fresh ingredients.

Our very favorite is a one-pot Paella "fake" (without seared/crunchy rice you get from a traditional cooking method). I buy a packet of yellow saffron rice. In a separate ziplock bag, I store the seasonings and dried peas. I then cook the chicken in the broth to a safe temperature, add the rice/seasonings/peas/sausage and simmer. It takes 30-45 depending on your meats and if any are frozen.

We also do a Mexican one-pot with quinoa, beef with noodles, lemon chicken, creamy bacon shredded chicken "casserole," ham & cheese with mustard sauce, chicken/sausage jambalaya, smothered (boneless) pork chops, and Turkish shortribs

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
The best breakfast for RVing is an omelet in a bag. You can cook 10 or more omelets at a time. Time saving, less clean-up, no waiting for the next one to be cooked.
We also pre-make Chile, enchilada's, smoked tri-tip, bacon, sausage patties and grab that Costco rotisserie chicken and re-package it. The less cooking, the better.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Excellent suggestions here already. Look at your fave recipes at home and how to simplify them. Think fresh too. Fresh fruit always goes with us: oranges, apples, pears, etc.

Like planning your route, planning your menu ahead of time is key. Think of ways to prep ingredients ahead of time such as frying up ground beef and freezing or refrigerating. Chop onion, peppers and other items to put in a zipper bag for the fridge. That way you can measure and dump into the pot.

Remember, most RVs have microwave ovens. In addition to thawing prepped ingredients, you can also take along your favorite frozen pizzas and meals.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

04fxsts
Explorer
Explorer
An easy dish I have been making is pretty much a stir-fry. Three green, red or yellow bell peppers I usually use one of each and an onion cut into strips. Meat of choice beef, chicken or pork also cut into strips. Toss it on my Blackstone and season with ginger, salt and soy sauce. Serve it over rice and we have two easy meals. Jim.

4aSong
Explorer
Explorer
Here are a few....

A number of good main dishes and one-pot meals that are made from a minimum number of ingredients that are easy to store and that don't have to be bought "fresh from the market". It also makes the shopping list easy because there are so many dishes that use some of the same ingredients.

9 DIFFERENT MAIN DISHES FROM 17 EASY-TO-KEEP INGREDIENTS:

1. CHICKEN ENCHILADAS
2. CHICKEN QUESADILLAS
3. CHICKEN & DUMPLINGS
4. CHICKEN POT PIES
5. BEEF STROGANOFF
6. BEEF STEW
7. SPICY VEGETABLE SOUP
8. FRIED POTATOES, ONIONS & SAUSAGE
9. SAUSAGE & CHEESE ROLL-UPS

SHOPPING LIST:
1. Flour tortillas
2. Canned flaky layered biscuits
3. Canned chicken
4. Cream of Chicken soup
5. Cream of Mushroom soup
6. Canned chicken broth
7. Canned veggies of choice
8. Ro-Tel tomatoes w/green chilies
9. Sour cream
10. Salsa Verde
11. Red Salsa
12. Grated cheese(s) of choice
13. Noodles
14. Potatoes
15. Onions
16. Canned Roast Beef
17. Smoked (or Polish) Sausage

(NOTE: Shopping list doesn't include items such as oil, spices or "side items" most people already have on hand.)

ADDITIONAL NOTES:
As you can tell, most of these dishes can be easily increased or decreased as neededโ€ฆ.for example, one-half package of sausages could be used with potatoes and other half in soup or roll-ups. A larger portion of potatoes and onions to be used for pot pie could be cooked at once and half could be used for soup or stew. Also, if there are only 2 people, most will have enough leftover for a second meal and most microwave well.

CHICKEN ENCHILADAS

1 lg. can chunk chicken
Approx. ยฝ cup Salsa Verde (or chopped green chilies)
1 can Cream of Chicken Soup
8 oz. Sour cream
8 oz. Grated cheddar or Colby Jack cheese
6 flour tortillas

Mix chicken, salsa, half of the soup, sour cream & cheese. Fill tortillas, place in ovenproof baking dish, edge side down. Mix remaining soup and sour cream and spread over enchiladas. Top with remaining cheese.
Bake at 375 until bubbly and cheese has melted (approx. 20 min.)
Serve with Tortilla chips & salsa on the side.

CHICKEN QUESADILLAS

Canned chunk chicken
Salsa Verde (or Chopped green chilies)
Grated cheese of choice (cheddar or Colby-jack works well)
Soft tortillas

Spray one side of a tortilla with butter or butter-flavored cooking spray.
Place in skillet, butter side down, then place layers of salsa, chicken and cheese on half of the tortilla. Fold over and place a second tortilla in skillet next to the first (youโ€™ll be making two halves at a time, but the folding makes each quesadilla easier to flip). Repeat process, then turn on heat to medium-high. When first side has toasted and cheese has started to melt, flip to brown the other side.
Place on plate(s) and top with sour cream & red salsa.
NOTE: Size of tortillas and appetite will determine number of servingsโ€ฆusing fajita size, two tortillas will usually serve two.

CHICKEN & DUMPLINGS

1 pkg. Flour tortillas, cut into 2โ€ pieces (I use pizza cutter & cut about 4 at a time.)
1 can chicken broth
1 can water
4 Tbsp. Butter or oleo
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 lg. Can chunk chicken
Salt & pepper

Bring broth, water and butter to a boil in a large pot.
Add tortilla pieces, a few at a time, then add chicken and soup and salt & pepper, to taste. (Minimum salt will be necessary due to the soup & broth.)
Reduce heat and simmer about 5-10 min. until tortillas have softened (will puff up slightly, but not a lot) and all ingredients are hot.

CHICKEN POT PIE

ยฝ c. chopped onions
2 med. potatoes, diced small
2 Tbsp. Squeeze oleo
1 lg can chunk chicken
1 can whole kernel corn, drained (mixed veggies would also work if โ€œallowedโ€)
1 can Cream of Chicken soup
Salt & pepper
2 Cans layered flaky biscuits

Place onions, potatoes & 1 Tbsp. oleo in bowl and microwave approx. 5-6 min. until done.
Split biscuits in half and place a layer of biscuits in bottom of 9โ€ square baking dish.
Mix chicken, corn (or other veggies) and soup with other ingredients and spread over biscuits.
Place another layer of split biscuits over filling & squeeze approx. 1 Tbsp. Oleo over tops.
Bake 30 min. at 375*. Bake remaining biscuits as directed on can.
(NOTE: This can also be made in a 9X13 dishโ€”each piece just doesnโ€™t have as much โ€œfillingโ€.)

BEEF STROGANOFF

1 12-oz can Hormel Roast Beef, chunks separated with fork
1 8-oz pkg wide egg noodles
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 c. sour cream

Cook noodles as directed on package. Drain noodles and add remaining ingredients, mixing well. Cover and simmer approx. 10-15 min. Serve with side salad and or (canned) vegetable of choice.

BEEF STEW

2-3 potatoes, cubed
1 small diced onion
1 can cream of mushroom soup
2 cans water
2-3 cans of veggies of choice (green beans, carrots, mixed veggies, tomatoes, corn, etc.)
1 12-oz can Hormel Roast Beef (chunks separated with fork)

Put potatoes, onions, water and soup in pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook approx. 25-30 min. or until potatoes are almost done.
Add remaining ingredients and simmer an additional 20 minutes.
Serve with cornbread or crackers.

SPICY VEGETABLE SOUP

1 16-oz pkg. Smoked or Polish sausage, cut in ยฝ inch pieces
1 can Rotel tomatoes w/green chilies
1 can whole kernel corn
1 can green beans
1 can small boiled potatoes (or you can cube and boil โ€œrealโ€ potatoes instead)
1 onion, diced
1 tsp. garlic powder
Salt & pepper to taste

Brown sausage in a small amount of oil, then add remaining ingredients. Do not drain veggies.
Simmer at least 45 minutes.
Serve with cornbread or crackers.

FRIED POTATOES, ONIONS AND SAUSAGE

5-6 potatoes, peeled and sliced thin
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
16-oz pkg Smoked or Polish Sausage, cut into ยฝ inch slices
Vegetable oil (or bacon grease, if available)
Salt & pepper to taste

Heat oil in skillet then add sausage, potatoes, and onions. Cover and cook approx. 10-15 min. or until bottom layer of potatoes are brown. Turn with a spatula and continue to cook uncovered until second layer is brownedโ€ฆ.may need to turn a couple of times in order to brown as much as desired.
Serve with side salad and/or canned veggie of choice. Also good with cornbread and/or beans.

SAUSAGE AND CHEESE ROLL-UPS

Smoked or Polish Sausage
Cheese of choice
Canned flaky jumbo biscuits

Slice sausage into pieces approx. 4โ€ long, then cut each piece in half lengthwise.
Separate biscuits into 2 layers, using one layer for each piece of sausage.
Wrap sausage and cheese (slices work best, but can also use grated) with biscuit.
Place on baking pan and bake approximately 15-20 minutes until biscuit is golden brown & cheese has melted.
Serve with salad and/or chips.
M & N

Tundra TRD V8 4x4 w/Leer Shell
EU2000i * Prodigy * McKesh * Trek * Renogy * ENU

happynow
Explorer
Explorer
I try to create some meals with similar ingredients.

Rotisserie Chicken can be stripped and shredded (Sometimes I do in advance and portion)
One chicken will give 4-8 servings depending on what you do with it.

For one meal dress with sauteed peppers + onions, choice of salsa/cheese/avocado and served on tortilla's. Or Nachos...

I will use these condiments above to make quesadillas in a day or two.

Another meal you can season chicken and serve with egg noodles or rice and veggie of choice.

Sometimes, we grill 2 meats at same time. So next night is reheat.

We use Pork Tenderloin slices for one meal then chop leftover meat for another meal. Toss with bbq and Cole slaw on bun or tortillas.

Microwave Bacon is quick and easy alternative. BLTs, club sandwiches.

Easy pasta- Carbonara...
happynow

Steve and Carol

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
I don't like frying anything inside, so I fry up several 1 lb packs of ground beef for tacos, sloppy joes, or hamburger stew. I also make a big pot of soup to take packed in 1 or 2 servings in the freezer.
Hamburgers and wings are cooked on the grill outside.
I cook up chicken for making alfredo, or salad.
Omelettes are always good and easy.
I take about 3 lb cooked bacon with me and a big package of cooked sausage patties. And we like frozen mixed vegies.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.