Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Battery operated fan quesiton ?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Battery operated fan quesiton ?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Caveman Charlie

Storden, MN

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/22 06:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Skibane wrote:

The Ryobi fan is powerful, but kind of noisy to sleep by.

It really needs a lower "LOW" speed than what it currently has.

Caveman Charlie wrote:

You can purchase portable power stations but, they cost probably close to 200 dollars, or more, for a decent one.

I don't think you have to pay anywhere near that much for a USB power bank that will run a couple of fans overnight.

For example, here's a 10 amp-hour model for $25.

Theoretically, that's big enough to supply 5 watts for 10 hours.

Instead of looking for something exotic with ultra-fast recharge, just buy two of them - and use one while the other is recharging.

I didn't think that something like that would power the fan for long. For that price it's worth a try. And, then like you said use one each night and let the other power all day from the pickup battery. Thanks for the idea !

1993 Cobra Sunrise, 20 foot Travel Trailer.

Caveman Charlie

Storden, MN

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/22 06:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

Amazon has fans that run on 120v or D cell batteries. We actually picked up one that someone else threw away. According to Amazon it will run for 50+ hours on low speed and 20 some on high speed.

It takes 6 D cell batteries. You could use rechargeable batteries but I doubt that you would be able to recharge them in only 2 or 3 hours.

This might work too. D cell batteries are expensive but, if it runs for 2 nights and I only need to use it for 5 nights that is only 3 sets of batteries. Not good for the environment (throwing away all those batteries) but, possible to do.

Skibane

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/22 11:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Caveman Charlie wrote:

So, What I'm looking for a fan that moves some air, makes some noise, runs for 8 or more hours and can be charged back up in 2-4 hours.

Noisemakers may make it easier to sleep, but they also rob you of situational awareness about what's happening outside.

If someone was attempting to steal your possessions - or worse yet, was attempting to break in to your RV - it would be good to have some advance warning.

Personally, I find the night time sounds of nature to be one of the most pleasing aspects of camping - wouldn't want to cover them up.

mgirardo

Brunswick, GA

View Profile

Posted: 04/01/22 07:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Skibane wrote:

I don't think you have to pay anywhere near that much for a USB power bank that will run a couple of fans overnight.

For example, here's a 10 amp-hour model for $25.

Theoretically, that's big enough to supply 5 watts for 10 hours.

Instead of looking for something exotic with ultra-fast recharge, just buy two of them - and use one while the other is recharging.

$25 for 10000 mAh is a little expensive. For a few dollars cheaper, try this 26800 mAh unit.

I can charge my SmartPhone that has a 5000 mAh battery 3 times from 20% with this bank and still have a little left over in the battery bank.

-Michael

Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

AllegroD

Outdare

View Profile

Posted: 04/01/22 12:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have the following:
Table to floor
- possible option
02Cool

Both work fine for us.

Caveman Charlie

Storden, MN

View Profile

Posted: 04/01/22 04:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Skibane wrote:

Caveman Charlie wrote:

So, What I'm looking for a fan that moves some air, makes some noise, runs for 8 or more hours and can be charged back up in 2-4 hours.

Noisemakers may make it easier to sleep, but they also rob you of situational awareness about what's happening outside.

If someone was attempting to steal your possessions - or worse yet, was attempting to break in to your RV - it would be good to have some advance warning.

Personally, I find the night time sounds of nature to be one of the most pleasing aspects of camping - wouldn't want to cover them up.

I was talking aobut a little white noise, not a hurricane. Haha And, in this case I'm going to be sleeping in a pop up. If someone wants to break in they can just grab the side of it and rip it open. lol It's just a tent on wheels.

More likely to get harassed by a bear then a person. If I keep the campsite clean of food and the cooler locked I'm hoping not to have bear problems.

Caveman Charlie

Storden, MN

View Profile

Posted: 04/01/22 05:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AllegroD wrote:

We have the following:
Table to floor
- possible option
02Cool

Both work fine for us.

Something to think about. Thanks.

wiskeyVI

All Over

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/22 10:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This one seems to work well, although a bit pricey for me.

Smartele FF16 rechargeable fan.

Mayor30

Pa

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/22 10:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have any Makita power tools, they make 2 fans that are powered by their batteries.I have the bigger one and it works well but won't run 8 hours on one battery. The smaller one would probably run longer.Batteries charge in about an hour. I keep several spare batteries so it's no problem. When one runs low I just slap in another one.

Skibane

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/22 12:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mgirardo wrote:

$25 for 10000 mAh is a little expensive. For a few dollars cheaper, try this 26800 mAh unit.

Anker has a pretty decent reputation for build quality and realistic specifications.

Unlike a lot of no-name brands, they stand a good chance of actually meeting their claimed battery capacity.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Battery operated fan quesiton ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.