cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slide out room props

FLHTCI
Explorer
Explorer
We got these slide out room props that are designed to keep the slide out in place while driving. The previous owner said he never used them. We have an electrical lock out let for the slides as well.

Do I really need to use these slide locks?

Thank you
2012 Winnebago Itasca Class A Sunstar 30T
2013 Jeep Sahara (JKU)
2012 Harley Davidson FLHTCUTG
2012 Ford F-250
15 REPLIES 15

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
Several years ago a church bus converted from a school bus has the slide at window height sliced along the side by a RV slide out that extended while it was driven. We always used slide out locks!
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
dougrainer wrote:
--IF THE RV MAKER ENGINEERS AND BUILDS AND SUPPLIES LOCK ARMS THEN THEY ARE NEEDED.

Pretty basic. We had bars supplied with our Terry because they mfr said it took the strain off of the electric rack and pinion when closed. Current Big Country has hydraulic slides and according to mfr no locking bars needed.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have read several "Slide moves out while I'm driving" posts.

Guess they did NOT use the slide lock device.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
way2roll wrote:
I guess they would help in the event of a failure of the stock controls but I don't think there is much of a demand for them with modern slides. There is also the risk of forgetting they are there and putting the slide out and damaging a wall or trim.

Heavily agree. Toss them in the trash.

My 1997 Holiday Rambler came with oneโ€ฆ. None since
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
MountainAir05 wrote:
Yes, Our Newmar had them. No noise from the slide when moving. Also the torque control will stop the motor from tearing out the wall if you hit the switch. If worried about forgetting put in a pin with a red streamer or other color that catches your eye. They also saved the cat several times when it would jump down behind the slide and we did not see her and open the slide.

Yes and no:B Even tho the Intellitec Newmar slide control has a amp(torque) setting to shut down, usually it destroys/bends the lock arms. I had an exception. I had a customer that actually ran the manual arm thru the outside sidewall behind the drivers seat on a 2002 Newmar diesel. He swore that he released the arm and Newmar refused to pay even tho under the 3 year warranty. Doug

PS, those 2000 era Newmars had the Intellivoice that stated to make sure all items were out of the way and to make sure the lock arms were released 30 seconds before the Motors started to move. Of course, after listening to that all the time everyone including me ignored that warning.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
My 2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport with three slides has manual locks. Two of the locks are a real pain to get to even with the supplied tool which if youโ€™re not careful can damage the wall. Many donโ€™t lock those lock as a result. Iโ€™ve not had any issues with not using the locks. I do set the locks that are directly behind the captains chairs main to eliminate the rattles from loose lock arms.

I can attest that should you try to extend the slides with the locks engaged you can cause damage that can be really expensive to fix. So do what you need to remind you to check the status of the locks, especially if you have taken the mh in for service. They may have set the locks.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
My Monaco came with the slide locking brace and I use them. A little note by the slide switch reminds me to remove it prior to extending the slide. The factory installed a plate on the wall where the lock is installed.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™ve never considered using them.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, Our Newmar had them. No noise from the slide when moving. Also the torque control will stop the motor from tearing out the wall if you hit the switch. If worried about forgetting put in a pin with a red streamer or other color that catches your eye. They also saved the cat several times when it would jump down behind the slide and we did not see her and open the slide.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
I have worked on Motorhomes with slide rooms since 1994. I worked on Newmar's since 1994. Newmar's with manual slide (props or lock arms) required them to be in place, until Newmar developed Electric lock arms. The reason was, the design of the Newmar slide room when retracted, the top was NOT sealed tight and the Lock arms pulled the top in that last inch to seal when retracted. Jayco's(towables and motorhomes) and National and early Monaco Class A's also used lock arms(props) to do the same thing and also to prevent excess movement when driving. I always told my customers when they asked your question---IF THE RV MAKER ENGINEERS AND BUILDS AND SUPPLIES LOCK ARMS THEN THEY ARE NEEDED. The rooms are not going to come out in transit. IF there is a malfunction the most a room will pooch out in transit is less than 6 inches. Usually less than 4 inches. I also have had customers come in and complain about excess slide noise/squeaks/rattles. I ask them if they are using the supplied lock arms/props. NO, they stated "experts" on line and campgrounds stated they were not needed.:B I install the lock props/arms and we test drive. Customer realizes that they WERE needed. Of course it cost the customer $100 for me to explain and show and test drive. Doug

Ed_C
Explorer
Explorer
4 motor homes 200,000 miles+ NO
Ed/Jeanie & Slade the GSD
2017 Entegra Aspire 42 RBQ/ Sierra Crew

Old_Days
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use 1 inch pieces of wood under our slide out when it is in travel mode for two reasons, when we stop for lunch we can sit in the slide out. But the main reason is because we go off road on some of the worst mountain trails.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™ve never had a set. Iโ€™ve had 2 TTโ€™s and now the MH with 3 slides and have never found the need for them.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!